Hauskittens review =) 22nd-29th August 2009

hauskitten

No longer active
Righty then... I'm going to have to do my review in bits and edit it as my laptop battery is broken and the charger lead keeps falling out so bare with me :D

Saturday - Underground

We landed in Ibiza around 9:30 am which gave us plenty of time to have a little wander around PDB looking for goodies such as erm tickets :D. Luckily for us the same guy was wprking here as we got our tickets etc from in 07, sorted! The hotel Algarb where we stayed all inclusive was clean and basic, decent sized room and I got my seaview :D location was also good as the pool was next to the beach. Snacks were available on A.I. and lots of alcohol, fizzy drinks, coffee etc thank goodness because the food was bad at best and often inedible (unless paella is meant to be rice mixed with shrimps heads??? A casserole with just bones floating in it??? A bull thats been cooked in the oven whole and piees of his burnt body sliced off at your request??? EWW). Luckily I'm not fussy so I ate salad and cold meat most days everything else was just wrong! A man or a fussy child could not eat here and we ended most days at Pizza hut or Burger King across the road.

We decided to get drunk in the hotel until about 12am then shoot off to Underground in a taxi which cost around 15 euros from PDB. Underground is just up the road from Amnesia. Entry price is 15 euros for boys, free for girls :D:D. Drinks were cheaper than the big clubs but can't quite remember how much. Water however I remember was 5 euros a bottle. My first impression was that this was my kind of club although there were only a couple of people there. There is a nice terrace for chilling out which I think is larger than the area inside which is quite small and dark but not skanky, a few lights shaped like trees but nothing over the top. As we sat in the terrace people started turning up and one of the staff told us he didn't know if it would grt full as there was no Zoo Project that night and people tend to go there after Zoo. Luckily though it did get really full by about 1am. There was a wicked atmosphere in there and everyone seemed to be bouncing off the ceiling, dancing on chairs and a little stage in the middle a really happy vibe. it was full but not so full you can't dance. I know that one of the DJs was Nima Gorji but not sure of the other. I didn't know anything about him beforehand but he was playing really good full on house. we had a wicked time and only decided to peel ourselves away at 4:30 am as we needed to replenish our systems for We Love. Funnily enough as we walked out the club shut and everyone piled out. There was no chance of getting a taxi now so we started to walk down the slip road towards Amnesia which appeared to be dangerous in our state :eek: we walked back up into San Rafael and luckily I spotted someone jumping out of a taxi which cost us 15 euros again to get back, we ended up getting in around 5:30 am. My verdict - A brilliant start to the holiday and I will definitely be going back there :D

Sunday - We Love @ Space

I had 3 hours sleep and got up at 8:30 am for a barely edible breakfast and to top up my tan ready for Space :) We decided to go against the critics and turn up for We Love at 6pm. Our friends were coming over from San An anyway so we knew we'd have a good time. Luckily we id this as the Sunset terrace was already packed when we got there t around 6:15. We paid 40 euros for tickets with pass out before 8pm (which I didn't even use). My favourite spot on the top step to the right of the DJ booth was empty and waiting for me so we quickly grabbed a drink and jumped up there (I danced in that spot til 12pm lol). The atmosphere was just amazing there particularly when Jonathan Ulysses came on at 8pm. I'd never seen him before and he totally lived up to what I'd heard, as did the old guy who came on after him!! Was that Alfredo?? I guess so! Not sure what he looks like but his set was awesome! J.U played La Mezcla which is apparently one of THE tunes of the year but this was the only time I heard it all week, it sounds wicked loud though =). Sadness kicked in for about 3 seconds at 12am when it all stopped but then I remembered Steve Lawler is in the Terraza now! This is one of only 2 times I stopped dancing because I had to walk from one room to the other! Strangely though Steve Lawler has morphed into Paul Woolford(?) In fact Paul Woolford played for the rest of the night so I guess Steve couldn't make it..which I was gutted about but the consolation was 2 extra hours of Wooly :) who has completely established himself as my favourite DJ, the music he plays is just FFFing amazing! Danced for a few more hours then popped to see DJ Mehdi who was good but I only stayed about 20 mins had to go back to the Terraza! I've never known the Terraza to have such an atmosphere and I've got a little video which I'll post on Utube later. We left at 4:45 am, I had now danced hard for 10 and a half hours flat out and my knees were suffering.. I didn't want to leave but I needed my legs for Cocoon the next night. My Verdict - I still completely LOVE We Love :)

Edit - As was pointed out below Steve Lawler came on at 1:30 this must have been when I went to see DJ Mehdi for a bit, when I came back upstairs Wooly must have gone we were in a different spot and for some reason still thought it was him, thinking about it now it did all get a bit drums on us! The samba tune is one that stands out in fact that was a corker! I left my original review there though because at the time this is what I thought happened which looking back is quite funny :) I'm still convinced he had glasses on though and his hair was longer. My apologies to Steve for thinking he wasn't there, but thats what happens when you get in a right state :) Everyone knows he is amazing anyway though :)

Monday - Cocoon @ Amnesia

Was up again at 8:30 am totally buzzing off the amazing time I'd had so far and throughout the day while I sunbathed and swam in the pool I pondered over Cocoon. I knew my man was put off after last time and so was I and the thought of spoiling my fun now by going to the scariest night on the island! After a lot of thought however I realised that I couldn't not go as the fact that Cocoon Classics was on the same week might mean that Mondays Cocoon would not be so busy. I'm so glad I made this deciscion! Now, by any clubs standards Amnesia was rammed but not to the point where you feared for your life :) We got there around 12:30 am and it was already packed in the Terrace where Mr Vath was playing. We grabbed a spot right in front of the DJ booth so we could bounce around without offending people for punching/ treading on them (what do they expect down the front?) :). In another thread somewhere in here someone said 'Sven was not interested' and was 'playing some kind of house'. Ok this person needs to know that this is proper house not the shoite that is played by the likes of Laidback Luke. Once or twice Sven dropped into techno but this was rare. I'm just loving the music this year its more like the music I remember when I first got into clubbing.. as for Sven not being interested he interacted with the crowd all night pointing, waving, punching the air smiling he was totally loving it so whoever wrote that crap needs to figure out that just because he doesn't want his picture taken doesn't mean he aint interested in giving the people a good time. Reboot was also awesome..erm he was live whatever that means?? was it all his own music? Enlighten me someone! Wicked music though! Pete Tong was randomly in the DJ booth as well(?!) thankfully not playing any music though, or maybe it was just a hired lookalike! Had to leave around 5:30 though my legs had left the building but my upper body was forcing them to dance, it was painful! I've got a video but it's pretty dark although I did catch the Ice cannon wooo lol. Had to have an illegal taxi but managed to knock him down to 25 euros (owch) Verdict - Cocoon is back on my map! Amazing :)

Tuesday - Chilling in Ibiza Town

Got up around 10 this morning (starting to flag) and decided as Carl Cox wouldn't be at his own night and the only person there I'd want to see (Yousef) would probably be on last we would have a rest tonight and save money so that we could do Ushuiaia, Channel Zoo and Underground on Wednesday. Stupidly we went into Ibiza Town and I decided I would like to drink some Mojitos. At 12:30 am I was drunk and we realised that we were still up late and had spent as much money as I would in a club! We went back to PDB but of course I was p****d and wanted more Mojito! I finally got dragged home at past 2:30 and I'm sure I detoured burger King!

Wednesday - Channel Zoo @ Gala Night

I was up at 9am again this morning as I was excited to go to Luciano on the beach @ Ushuiaia at 12pm (I'd been told you could get in if you tried). We also had got tickets for Channel Zoo and were meeting our mates who were staying in San An. 12pm came and suddenly the heavens opened. Obviously I'm in Ibiza I have no umbrella but this was one thing I did not want to be trying to slope in to looking like a drowned rat and we were staying at the other end of PDB. While waiting for the rain to subside we fell asleep and woke at about half 3 so Luciano went out the window. I was pretty gutted but I told myself everyone who would be there early would be boring and wouldn't dance infact it would be crap (yup thats what I told myself!). We jumped in a taxi around half 4 to head for Channel Zoo as we'd been told it didn't kick off until around 6ish. Tickets cost us 25 euros and the taxi was about 20. We got there at 5 and it was totally dead. People were coming in dribs and drabs and it was stifling hot. It was still dead at 7 and we nearly ended up going back to PDB. We had some food instead from a barbeque which was quite nice and a giant jug of Sangria which maybe we shoudn't have! It was only now the music was getting louder so we went up to the sealpit where there were a few people already dancing. At last it started to pick up and our mates eventually arrived. It was still light when it got going but soon got dark. The music was really good again it was pretty much just house but I think the venue has the potential to be a lot better. It was so dark and because your on steps on different levels I felt as though I was dancing away on my own a bit. It was probably better down the front but there was less room down there. A kind barman gave us a free bottle of water which was nice! I still had a really wicked time there but as far as smaller places go, Underground has the edge. It is better being there than watching the youtube vids though there is a much better vibe, I just don't see why it has to take so long to get going. We got chucked out around ten past 12 and got a free bus to San An which reminded me why I don't go there! The West End is minging there was a pile of sick outside KFC with a girl stood in it in flip flops eating food! Gross! It reminds me of going out on a night back home. We jumped in a taxi and went back to PDB for some Pixxa Hut food yum! Got in about 2:30. Verdict - Great night but not great enough to draw me back

Thursday

Woke up at 12pm and was seriously starting to get tired now, I'd been fluey since Monday and got worse as the week went on but had to do another night of clubbing. We went down to the beach to see what offers we could get to see Dubfire at Be. We managed to get our names put on a list so we could get in free before 12 and all we had to take was a bank card with one of our names on it. The only issue with this was we got there at 11:15pm only to find out that Dubfire was on at 4:45 am! This was going to be tough but I am a fighter! I took my place in the sunset terrace while Tom Novy was on (this was silly of me cos I can't dance to the crud he plays..Rui De Silva- Touch me in the morning wtf!!) Anyway I tried! Thankfully Guy Gerber was on at 12am. I wasn't overly excited to see him as I have one of his mixes on my ipod and its not my favourite... how wrong was I! He played a brilliant set of that lovely full on house I've been talking about, but he also had a way of dropping in loads of bits of different tunes all the time, really loads going on, I didn't want his set to end. Umek was next and I thought his set was real good hard techno but my fella reckoned it was borderline Eddie Halliwell lol that was a joke though or I would have thrown some Algarb tomatoes at him, it was very hard stuff though! Chris Liebing also played quite a hard set which I was enjoying but to be honest I was struggling in the fight. I'd only even had 2 drinks that night as my body was begging me no more chemicals please! We went for a rest in the Terraza to watch some acrobats who were really good... only to hear that twonk Novy drop Touch me in the morning AGAIN what a nob!! went back to do some more forced dancing to Chris Liebing who was still going hard. I couldn't even dance in tune anymore my arms were everywhere :) At last Dubfire came on and I only cared for about half an hour but at 5:15 I had to leave. In all honesty I think he was good but I don't really know! We got in around quarter to 6 and I just flaked out on my bed. Verdict - wicked value for money, wish it was on the Tuesday when I wasn't feeling so ill as it was a really good night otherwise

Friday

Woke at 12 pm went to beach sunbathed and looked around shops in the evening then had a well earned early night at 12 o clock. By now I was really ill and getting a bit of zapping and weird dreams. Didn't bother with sushi, didn't have any money left!

My overall verdict is I still love Ibiza and will still go back every year but I think if I could I'd rather do 2 weeks and have a couple of breaks in between because trying to go clubbing and get up early for sunbathing all in one week especially when your suffering with flu and past 30 is pretty hard going. The vibe is not gone in my opinion but yet again the popular music has changed, minimal is taking a step back at the moment and house is quite predominent, no particular genres. I didn't hear any of the tunes that are supposed to be really big like Sinfonia and La Mezcla, I heard Rose Rouge a few times but the one I hr=eard the most was a housey tune with a girl singing boy..boy..boy..boy all the way through, wicked tune but don't know what it is! Next year is family year so hoping to do a bit more exploring of more chilled elements of Ibiza for 10 nights but hopefully will do a sneaky weekend especially if DC10 is open, and I'll be going back to my fav hotel the Don Toni :) Money spent this year was £1300 for 2 people to stay all inclusive at the Algarb hotel and we spent £1400 between the 2 of us on nights out, extra bits of food, taxis, drinks and other things :) pics and vids soon I'm no Speilberg or David Bailey though!... ok I've bored you long enough now any questions just ask LOL :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent review! :)

What you said about Reboot - when they play live it's off a laptop using software like Ableton Live - it means they can remix tracks as they go and make music while they are mixing.

Kinda a step up from just traditional DJ'ing.

Excellent review! :)

What you said about Reboot - when they play live it's off a laptop using software like Ableton Live - it means they can remix tracks as they go and make music while they are mixing.

Kinda a step up from just traditional DJ'ing.

Ah right I kind of thought so but wasn't sure :D sorry I've had to keep re-editing but my power went off earlier when I'd almost finished and I lost it all!!

is this your "boy boy boy" track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv4QELKfKrg&feature=related

oh and by the way, luciano thing doesn't start till 5/6 and the reason gala night is deado is cos everyone is at ushuaia!!

I don't believe you:evil: your lying lol I'm really gutted about that but at least fate was half decent to me I would have looked a right nob turning up there at 12 :lol::lol::lol:

That is the correct tune also :D that is the only tune other than Rose Rouge I heard at least 3 times although Novy tried to beat it with his pile of crud!

Great review! Sorry we didn't see you at WLS and sorry to have to correct you but Steve Lawler ROCKED the Terrace from 1:30 - 4:30, he even played La Mezca (1 of 7 times I heard the song this week, which just finally started getting old after only the 6th time because it's that good:) Woolford closed the main room down until 7, which we listened to after Miss Kitten closed the Terrace after Lawler, Andy Carrol was excellent as well with some deep jazzy house in the Red Room upstairs as well, full review later. ( I only saw the sunrise and sunset most days in Ibiza, jealous you have a much better tan than me!)

great review kittycat !

especially the food-section is amazing :lol:

... the food was bad at best and often inedible

(unless paella is meant to be rice mixed with shrimps heads???
A casserole with just bones floating in it???
A bull thats been cooked in the oven whole and piees of his burnt body
sliced off at your request??? EWW).

Luckily I'm not fussy so I ate salad and cold meat most days
everything else was just wrong!

A man or a fussy child could not eat here and we ended most days
at Pizza hut or Burger King across the road.
... a barely edible breakfast ...
... I detoured burger King!
... KFC ...
... Pixxa Hut food yum! ...
... Algarb tomatoes ...
... Didn't bother with sushi, didn't have any money left! ...

Great review! Sorry we didn't see you at WLS and sorry to have to correct you but Steve Lawler ROCKED the Terrace from 1:30 - 4:30, he even played La Mezca (1 of 7 times I heard the song this week, which just finally started getting old after only the 6th time because it's that good:) Woolford closed the main room down until 7, which we listened to after Miss Kitten closed the Terrace after Lawler, Andy Carrol was excellent as well with some deep jazzy house in the Red Room upstairs as well, full review later. ( I only saw the sunrise and sunset most days in Ibiza, jealous you have a much better tan than me!)

Steve Lawler suddenly got glasses and longish curly hair then???? And he is looking like Paul Woolfords twin lately???? Very strange because its not just me who says Steve Lawler wasn't there!

Edit - Come to think of it I know what happened LOL I will go and change my review :) Thanks for pointing this out as wouldn't want to sell anyone short!

Last edited by a moderator:
great detailed review!

don't let the over 30 age thing put u down or be used as an excuse not to go out clubbing even day/night... I don't anyway :D

feel well and go have some fun in the sun as long as the summer is still kicking...

great detailed review!

don't let the over 30 age thing put u down or be used as an excuse not to go out clubbing even day/night... I don't anyway :D

feel well and go have some fun in the sun as long as the summer is still kicking...

Lol I won't! Thats the good thing about Ibiza.. I saw a couple aged 60 in Space and they just blended in :D

Nice review. I thought you were a bit radio rental from reading some of your other posts over the last couple of months however it appears we have some things in common.

I love Space (still) and the main reason for going is the sunset terrace. Without that it is ****e.

I cant sleep in either when i go to Ibiza. Start thinking about my next night out too early, heart racing etc etc

I have never been to underground but plan to go this year. Got to convince my mate though as he was dissapointed with DC10 (Wed) in 2007 for Mr C.

Don Toni is my fav as well. Good location, clean and good food.

I often end up doing what I call "Not as you planned it night" when i am away. Just like your trip to Ibiza town. Last year was going to have an early night but stayed in Bora Bora (inside) right till the death!!!! one night. Did you go to Boar Bora this year?

I plan to go to Ush%$£"*& this year (next week in fact). Did you sus out what the entry situ was despite you noy going?

I am also in my thrirties (37!!!!!!) and have got more stamina now tham I ever did!

ps I can hear Creamfields from my house although its about 6 miles away. How load must it be?

Nice review. I thought you were a bit radio rental from reading some of your other posts over the last couple of months however it appears we have some things in common.

I love Space (still) and the main reason for going is the sunset terrace. Without that it is ****e.

I cant sleep in either when i go to Ibiza. Start thinking about my next night out too early, heart racing etc etc

I have never been to underground but plan to go this year. Got to convince my mate though as he was dissapointed with DC10 (Wed) in 2007 for Mr C.

Don Toni is my fav as well. Good location, clean and good food.

I often end up doing what I call "Not as you planned it night" when i am away. Just like your trip to Ibiza town. Last year was going to have an early night but stayed in Bora Bora (inside) right till the death!!!! one night. Did you go to Boar Bora this year?

I plan to go to Ush%$£"*& this year (next week in fact). Did you sus out what the entry situ was despite you noy going?

I am also in my thrirties (37!!!!!!) and have got more stamina now tham I ever did!

ps I can hear Creamfields from my house although its about 6 miles away. How load must it be?

Radio rental?? Lmao why! should I ask :D As far as I found out about Ush we would more than likely be let in and even if they were being tight they will let you in for a note or 2.. that was never going to happen though! Plenty of people on here have gone in. I have never been into bora bora don't know why I've been spangled and chilled out on the floor outside the blue wall but never gone in! In fact one night in 07 we were having a cutch and some italian nearly done a wee on us! Ebbbetha ebeeeetha was all he could say lol..I will have kids with me next year although I might take them for a little nose as they are teenagers after all:D

:lol:

Loved reading this review.

+ That tunes ****ing class. Reminds me of a party I was at in Barcelona. Took me right back :D

i don't believe that.

By blended in I don't mean they were going for it on the dance floor mind :D They were in Be sat near the railings up the back probably gone in for a nose at whats going on but no-one was like 'omg look at those old people'... yet there are places back home where I wouldn't go because people would be like 'omg look at that old person' :lol:

any pensioner who splurges €100 to just have a nose at what's going on in space deserves being pointed at. and they probably go shopping in m&s on a saturday morning!

Back