Happy Thanksgiving!

Morbyd

Ay folks. A big Happy Thanksgiving to any and all fellow yanks on the forum :D :D :D

I already outlined my plans for the holiday in the Weekend Plans thread... getting together with a few friends tonight to enjoy a turducken. Saturday, I'm cooking the ceremonial turkey and taking it over to another friend's place for a late Thanksgiving dinner party. Really looking forward to weighing an extra kilo or two by Monday :lol:

Those of you on the forum for a while know that this is my favorite holiday. It's a simple yet beautiful concept - gather around, eat a ton and a half of delicious food, take time to enjoy the company of friends and family, and take a moment to be thankful for everything we've got in this life. 8)

(preemptive strike - yes, Robder, I know the holiday originated during the European colonization of America, which had a catastrophic effect on the native population. But I'll point out that the first Thanksgiving dinner was a joint English-Native American affair, and aside from that we've hopefully evolved since then! :p)

So what are you guys (yank and non-yank!) thankful for today?

I'm thankful:
- that I've got people I can call friends on 5 continents
- that I've got a humble apartment to live in, and a bunch of gadgets inside
- that I've been able to see some of the world, and so much in it, in my short, crazy life
- that I've (knocks on wood) still got a job in these hard times
- that my parents took such good care of me
- that I get to see a bit of sunshine every once in a while
- that my homeland has evolved and, indeed, "Yes We Can!"
- that my new car is finally supposed to arrive today :lol:
- that there's still a bit of kindness out there, and evil can never win

(preemptive strike - yes, Robder, I know the holiday originated during the European colonization of America, which had a catastrophic effect on the native population. But I'll point out that the first Thanksgiving dinner was a joint English-Native American affair, and aside from that we've hopefully evolved since then! :p)

Gosh am I that much of a cantankerous old man? :eek: :lol:

Happy thanksgiving to you too!

Hmmm now looking for something to feel disgruntled about. :lol:

(Independence day however...;))

Ahh makes me think of Friends and the various thanksgiving episodes :lol:

Can you report back on the turducken, am intrigued to know if it is definitely duck! :lol:

I am thankful for...

Still having my job :eek::lol:
Being healthy
Family being healthy and happy
My parents for bringing me up well, had to think about this recently due to a friends circumstances
Enjoying my life and being a bit selfish, festivals, holidays, clothes, shoes, make up, handbags, music....the list could go on :oops::lol:
The fact my dad is treating me to a curry for lunch today :lol::lol::lol:

Yayy, whoo hoo!!

Turkey, Yams, Pumpkin Pie, ice cool Coors!!

Im thankful for....

My beautiful daughter, my beautiful wife, my health, my upbringing with a loving family, my health (thusfar), my rapier like wit, my sense of fashion, my dazzling good looks!! ;)

My beautiful daughter, my beautiful wife, my health, my upbringing with a loving family, my health (thusfar), my rapier like wit, my sense of fashion, my dazzling good looks!! ;)

and the very 'attentive' service you get from the NHS? :p :lol:

Oi. Almost forgot.

I am very thankful for the music in life. That which I like and even that which I don't. Without it, what a boring world this would be!

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all! Why do Americans have Thanksgiving and we dont? I'm quite jealous that they get to stuff their faces with roast turkey twice in one month!!

I'm thankful for:

Being healthy and active and able to run, dance, exercise... all the things that some people aren't fortunate enough to be.
Having the best, truest friends around me who I know I can rely on any day of the week
Sharing my life and adventures with someone who is my perfect match, in all ways!
The fact that I am going out for a Caribbean feast for lunch... right now! YUM!

I'm quite jealous that they get to stuff their faces with roast turkey twice in one month!!

twice a day looking at the size of some of them :lol:

The fact that I am going out for a Caribbean feast for lunch... right now! YUM!

whoooo...if there's bread fruit...it's yummy!!!

I think this thread reveals the fundamental difference between the yanks and the brits

US > thanksgiving, a special day in our lives, it's a spiritual thing, oh yeah, thank the Lord Almighty and Jesus for bestowing upon me the sanctity of life, and keepin' my faaamily safe in this uncertain world, in these uncertain economic times and thank you ma'am and all my brothers and all my sistas and all my forefathers and all my godfathers and my parents and my mamma and my pappa and his mistress and the grocery store and the FBI and my high school janitor and my pet racoon for the honour of eating this here turkey. I thangu, I thangu (...ad infinitum)

UK > Wicked! it's a bank holiday, let's get fookfaced

Hey Happy Thanksgiving to all my other Yanks and to the Brits as well....

I'm about to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and then my mom is coming up and we're heading to the Hard Rock Hotel for an awesome buffet.... this will be my first holiday with a family member in 8 years!

Hey Morbyd--don't forget the other best thing about Thanksgiving is Black Friday! Best shopping day of the year (both in stores and online) and from what I've seen the deals are going to be fantastic....that is of course, if you have money to spare these days! Oh and of course there is Cyber Monday too....please remind me to try and not break the bank. ;)

:lol:

You seriously weakened Olly's argument above, Miss F :lol:

(good point though... will have to see what I can buy cheap online in advance of Xmas)

nah, it was just an observation - not a criticism. You guys are more traditional and earnest about these events. Whereas here, people are more cynical. Xmas is just a marketing exercise for capitalists to exploit parental vulnerability.. everybody knows that - maybe 3% of the population still care about the religious dimension

eg with house music - the new york voguers at places like the shelter love their house but barely touch drugs, they just get off on the music - whereas in Britain, the scene is ALL about drugs - differences in culture - no rights/wrongs, in this instance

Back