guns n roses

agentundercover

Chinese Democracy out tomorrow :eek:

finally :eek: X 10

(to the kids out there, gnr are a rock band from when rock bands were proper bands playing proper music!)

just fingers crossed that it is going to be ok & not the disaster it could be, 10 years in the making and all.

have heard rough mixes of alot of it, sounds good but predictably fragmented, heres hoping for the final mix.

I want to hear this but I have a feeling it will be shockingly bad. Its not really a Guns N Roses album, its just Axel with a faceless backing band.

Im a massive Guns N Roses fan but they captured a moment back in the late 80' early 90's when all that was about was pointless glam rock, ie Motley Crew, not sure that Axel will have the same relevance now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Axl Rose never really had any real cultural significance, imo - he wasn't PC and grabbed a few headlines - but didn't everyone?

GNR were a comedy metal-lite band from the 80s who chimed in well with the Reagan era of big hair/big tits/big noise

...but when grunge came through around 91 and people like Cobain got deep into the mindsets of nerdy students worldwide, then bands like GNR suddenly looked like real dinosaurs

I think the album will probably sell ok-ish - there will always be a big fanbase in motorcycle clubs around Texas and the Midlands and unreconstructed balding RAWK enthusiasts everywhere but I seriously doubt anyone else will give a flying turd

Axl Rose never really had any real cultural significance, imo - he wasn't PC and grabbed a few headlines - but didn't everyone?

GNR were a comedy metal-lite band from the 80s who chimed in well with the Reagan era of big hair/big tits/big noise

...but when grunge came through around 91 and people like Cobain got deep into the mindsets of nerdy students worldwide, then bands like GNR suddenly looked like real dinosaurs

I think the album will probably sell ok-ish - there will always be a big fanbase in motorcycle clubs around Texas and the Midlands and unreconstructed balding RAWK enthusiasts everywhere but I seriously doubt anyone else will give a flying turd
Do you actually remember when the band debuted? Your analysis is way off track.

GnR hit it big because they were an antidote to the big hair metal bands of the 1980s. Here were these (relatively) grungy looking guys wearing T-shirts of punk bands like TSOL. They brought mainstream metal back from the brink of comedy.

True, the grunge movement out-did GnR in terms of remaking the hard rock aesthetic. Nirvana's Nevermind debuted at the same time as GnR's Use Your Illusions I and II, and all three went on to be massive sellers although Nevermind was more of a slow burn while the Illusions went straight to the top.

GnR didn't fade because of grunge (they'd already expanded their sound from straight-up hard rock... think November Rain). They fell apart, as big ego bands often do.

I halfway agree with you in that I don't think Axl Rose individually had any more pop culture significance than any other frontman of a platinum-selling band.

As for the audience this new album will find, 13 years is a long time to stay dormant for a band that was only big for 6-7 years during its first run. Their old fans have grown up...they might be curious but will they bother shelling out the cash? Is there a hit single in there to draw a new generation of fans? I'll have to give a track or two a listen, but I'm doutbful.

interesting point Morbyd

but as far as I remember, the grunge bands were scathing about GNR - whose sound, roots and politics owed nothing to what was happening in Seattle

it may be GNR distanced themselves from the clowns on the metal circuit but Slash was comedy value in his own right

I remember sixth form - huge differences between rock fans and grunge fans (I loathed all of them - as none of them seemed to a/ wash or b/understand that rave was where the real revolution was taking place)

I agree with you - the new album will probably have limited appeal - but rockers tend to be fiercely loyal well into middle age

There was definitely tension between GnR and the grunge bands. I think it's more because (and this was just my personal view back then) grunge fans tended to come from the ranks of people who would have followed punk and its various offshoots... the "alternative" crowd as it became known in the States. GnR captured those who came from the metal scene. Not that there wasn't overlap, and both captured ground in the middle (including the teenyboppers of the day), but those two groups are diametrically opposed.

Slash is a legend. It was years in the spotlight before most of the world saw his face. :lol:

Woooaahhh Olly!

an expression of personal taste there, rather than a factual analysis!

Dinasours or not appetite was and still is a classic album.

Use your illusion, ditto - classics - imho of course!

'comedy metal-lite band' (makes sign of the cross)

NEVER!

GnR hit it big because they were an antidote to the big hair metal bands of the 1980s. Here were these (relatively) grungy looking guys wearing T-shirts of punk bands like TSOL. They brought mainstream metal back from the brink of comedy.

Morbyd and Robbie G in agreeing shocker ;)

When Appetite for Destruction came out there was nothing else like it. It sounded fresh and new compared to the other bands at the time. It still sounds just as good today imo. Its top 3 in my all time greatest Rock Albums!

Grunge did put a nail in their coffin but they where on the way to break up for a long time before Nevermind came out due to Drink and Drugs.

I think the new album will probably sell millions but whether anyone actually likes it is another question. It will be brought by people who loved them the first time round trying to re live the magic.

Morbyd and Robbie G in agreeing shocker ;)
:lol:
Is that really shocking?! :lol:

Grunge did put a nail in their coffin but they where on the way to break up for a long time before Nevermind came out due to Drink and Drugs.
Interesting fact I just looked up on the Wiki P. Nevermind came out just one week after the Use Your Illusions in Sept '91... The latter were the first dual albums to debut at Nos. 1 & 2. Nevermind didn't hit the top of the charts until early the following year.

Considering the number of singles/videos from the Illusions and how long it charted despite the rise of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, I think the Guns' subsequent internal meltdown was more to blame for the fade in their relevance than grunge (also, the slightly different audience). But grunge stole pretty much everyone's thunder for those next couple of years.

:lol:

Interesting fact I just looked up on the Wiki P. Nevermind came out just one week after the Use Your Illusions in Sept '91... The latter were the first dual albums to debut at Nos. 1 & 2. Nevermind didn't hit the top of the charts until early the following year.

Considering the number of singles/videos from the Illusions and how long it charted despite the rise of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, I think the Guns' subsequent internal meltdown was more to blame for the fade in their relevance than grunge (also, the slightly different audience). But grunge stole pretty much everyone's thunder for those next couple of years.

I remember the day the Illusions came out well! I brought UYI 2 and my mate brought UYI 1 on the way home from school! So we could copy each others to Tape and have the set! :lol:

IMO they stopped exactly at the right time. They where no longer making great tunes, just listen to the abortion that is the Spaghetti Indecent! An Album of Covers is always made by a band in trouble imo. I think Grunge just made Rock n Roll sound dated, the same way thet Punk made all the prog rock from the 70's dated.

back on thread...I have heard its a bit overblown, overproduced and a tad self indulgent!!!!

Morbs will probably like it! :lol:;)

Back