guest lists...

stivi

I'm sure we might have a thread somewhere about the subject already, but this is such a great post from lee burridge. the part in bold is the one that always gets me, I get really annoyed if I sort list for people and they then don't go.

from lee burridge's facebook:

To anyone who’s ever asked for a guest list spot but, at the same time, to no one in particular as I write.

I decided after a Summer of being bombarded with guest list requests that it was time to share a few thoughts from the industry side of things. I decided to write, on behalf of artists, promoters, managers and anyone else in general who works in the music industry (who shall henceforth be referred to as ‘we’) in regards to the (currently non existent) etiquette of soliciting a guest list spot.

Here are a few points that you might not have previously thought about, or, worse, really don’t care about. Try to remember there is a person on the other end of your request who also gets the same from one to one thousand other people.I’m, sure they’d appreciate you (even more) if you at least considered the following before asking (again..and again…and again) that same weekend-centric question.

So, make yourself comfortable, pay attention, there will be questions (well, actually, comments) after...

Many events and venues have a limited capacity. All of them however also have many expenses. Bearing that in mind, try to remember, the guest list isn’t endless. At some point the ability to add you, your girlfriend or boyfriend, your best friend, their friends and, at times, strangers who you just decided to invite along after meeting them in the pub or the line as your plus one or plus three, six or ten (depending on how rude/cheeky your original request\\ was) to make you look cool, isn’t actually possible.
When you write your text, email or private message on Facebook or instagram, WhatsApp, postcard sent ahead of time to the companies p.o box,or, a lot of the time, all of those in one night that say some variation of “hey, could you add me to the list”. If you actually get a positive response please don’t then feel it’s ok to then say “Great! Me plus four”. Your original message infers that it’s just you who wants to be on the list. Not you plus infinity.

As it’s usually Friday or Saturday that you’ve decided to write, that little bit of small talk, such as, “Hi, how are you. What have you been up to?” is actually a little bit annoying as it's blatantly obvious why you weren’t just checking in to see if we are healthy. Remember (as we do), we’ve not heard from you since the last time we were in your city or you were at our party. I feel it really is far better to just get it over with right off the bat. “Hi. Would you be kind enough to put me on the list tonight. Hope you’re well” just saves us all time.

We all lead busy lives so it’s better to goggle the address of the club or look online rather than to ask us questions that are easily found with a quick search. We don’t always know what the "dress code is" or "if it’s over 21". I personally do know however what my set time, so, that’s an OK question. By the way though, the other DJ’s are mostly pretty good so maybe come earlier and spend some of that hard saved money you didn’t pay to get in on a drink at least and support the night. Not just the main artist.

This is a big one so pay attention!

A guest list spot is an act of kindness on our part. A free gift. It would be great though that you didn’t feel being added to a list once then entitles you to be on every guest list in perpetuity at parties we are playing or putting on. We do, obviously, always add our closest of friends to the guest list without fail. Here’s a funny thing though, they actually rarely ask and are always more than happy to support. We love that about them. It’s usually us asking them if they want to be on the list. No offence but we barely know you. Perhaps we met once and exchanged a few words. Perhaps we messaged back and forth online about a track or a set. That’s cool! Most of us are fairly nice people and happy to chat about music or parties when we have time. To listen to your experience and input too. Sometimes though, we need you to (happily) support the party and, therefore, the artists, promoter and/or night. After kindly gifting guest list places to many, many people over the years please try to imagine how many people actually ask each weekend. It’s a lot. Try your hardest to resist asking each and every time to be on the list (unless of course things are truly not going so well for you at this moment in your life and it’s really hard to actually afford to come along. I feel you deserve a guest list spot more than most). We always notice the same people continually asking.
Further to that it would be really cool if (and this is more from the promoter side of things) you are told the list is full or closed to then not start calling and/or messaging absolutely anyone else who might just be able to put you on that same guest list we already told you was full. We’ve seriously had bar staff, the cleaner, long lost friends, our parents and promoters from other countries still trying to add you, by asking us, after saying it wasn’t possible. Not cool man. Do you think we won’t notice?
At this point it’s just annoying and if you’re that desperate to be on a list that you should be put on, but, minus one (meaning both of you have to pay. But hey, at least you’re on the list, right?). If we said no we really did say it for a valid reason. It’s an expensive and a lot of the time risky venture throwing events. Remember it’s good to play your part in supporting the music scene you enjoy so much and you can do that by buying a ticket. If you were in a bar and the bar person gave you a free drink would you then expect free drinks for the rest of your life from them? In most cases I think that that’s a firm no. There seem to be certain other elements of your night out that you are always happy to pay for and don’t expect for free which your dealer provides. Did they hook you up once? If so are you now entitled to freebies forever? Again, probably no (by the way, drugs are bad m’kay!) One of the elements though that you should be willing and happy to pay for is a ticket to get in to the party. Not only does it allow promoters to carry on booking great artists which provide you with a great night out but also allows them to eat, buy clothes, pay their bills and, in rare cases, buy a new yacht.

p.s... No one I know actually owns any sort of nautical vessel. Hmmm….maybe bedouin. I’ll have to ask them.

I wrote and rewrote these words over the past few months after Summer as someone had probably asked me for them "plus ten" or texted me a few hours before a party after me not having heard from them for months. It’s a common part of the weekend but it got me thinking that maybe it was because (some) people just don’t know any better. It’s hopefully allows all the serial guest list requesters to see that on the other end of the never ending guest list requests we receive multiple times each week (usually only on Fridays and Saturdays though) is a person who will always gladly do it when they can. Just try not to expect it. It’s far better to get a gift you aren’t expecting, right?

When DJ’s play for promoters they might get two free spots or they might get ten. Try to remember that they don’t get infinity. So, you plus one is, maybe, OK. You plus six is not. I’m lucky enough to be able to do this but rarely ask to be on the guest list. I like to support my own scene. If I am offered or given entry to a party I never ask for more than plus one. Maybe that’s just me but I’d rather chip in for or pay for the rest of my friends and support someone risking their own money to put on an event I want to go to than spend hours trying to figure out how to get in for free.

Also, when you're added, you really should try to actually turn up.

Finally, to everyone else out there who are always happy to contribute and those who really do appreciate being on the list (but don’t abuse that privilege or expect it, ever). I/we thank you from the bottom of our heart(s).

The End.

p.s Breaking news! (or, perhaps, a slightly shorter rant for another day).I really, really love a crowd in the DJ booth but the music really does sound better on the dance floor. Backstage is a great place to visit for a little bit but don’t miss the party. It’s out in front of the speakers.

Very good... I especially like this part below. How many really good parties over the last few years had a guest list just too long?

I like to support my own scene. If I am offered or given entry to a party I never ask for more than plus one. Maybe that’s just me but I’d rather chip in for or pay for the rest of my friends and support someone risking their own money to put on an event I want to go to than spend hours trying to figure out how to get in for free“.

I do find the endless begging you see on social media odd. I have been very fortunate enough to have friends in the right places at some clubs and promoters, but I'd never dream of asking a random or someone I've met once or twice for guest list. It's basically showing a blatant disregard to their livelihood, why is anyone too good or whatever to pay?

I do find the endless begging you see on social media odd. I have been very fortunate enough to have friends in the right places at some clubs and promoters, but I'd never dream of asking a random or someone I've met once or twice for guest list. It's basically showing a blatant disregard to their livelihood, why is anyone too good or whatever to pay?
i wonder if the pirate is following this thread :rolleyes:

But in Ibiza the prices are crazy so I normally only go if guestlist,( after so many years), but of cause only +1 of +2 with gf's sister.
Friends sometimes ask if I want to be on the guestlist.

In days when I had list powers, the guaranteed way for you to get knocked back was to ask for more than you (someone I know) plus 2, to ask for someone I didn't know when you weren't coming yourself or to be a creepy bloke I barely knew claiming he was bringing girls who were 'very friendly'.

Ibiza workers lists were always fun - oh, so your cousin you begged to put on is actually a random tourist you charged 10 euros?:lol:

i was lucky enough to have a contact that worked in some capacity with Pacha in 2000 (3 of us there)
there were rules as to timing of when we asked but we were told that it was ok to ask for any night, Pacha ones were pretty nailed on, others not so

we were late for Cream ones, so didn't ask
we got 1 out of 3 for Manumission and (much to my mates bemusement) i didn't ask for more - i knew that it was a generous offering just getting one
and i followed the rules to get it

i never even ask if i'm not going to go - thats way out of order

I have one who remembers james the winter manager for pacha from 8-10 years ago? Think he went to work for space Miami soon after..

Four of us blagged entry into a Flying records night at The Arena in Boro. We called ahead and arranged to meet Charlie Chester later that night, claiming to be a `live progressive house act` with awesome tunes that just HAD to be signed up. Suffice to say we didn't make it to his office, had a mad one (Fabi Paras that night), and promptly forgot the whole reason for our guest list entry.

I used to get on the Cream guestie in Lpl and occasionally in Ibiza aswell. A complete chance meeting with an old doll who ran ticket operations in the uk. She got Mrs Brown tickets in return so probably boasts about that in some theatre forum

Four of us blagged entry into a Flying records night at The Arena in Boro. We called ahead and arranged to meet Charlie Chester later that night, claiming to be a `live progressive house act` with awesome tunes that just HAD to be signed up. Suffice to say we didn't make it to his office, had a mad one (Fabi Paras that night), and promptly forgot the whole reason for our guest list entry.
the Arena in Middlesboro i know well fella, Charlie Chester is a hard guy to meet, tough blag there

I smell another thread on the way - Top Blagging Stories :)

its not really a top story but...

after 2000 when i had a contact in Pacha for that trip
i had been friends with a few Glasgow DJs and one was in a "mildy influential" position so i got some guestlists via that for a while
for We Love... at Space he tried to get a couple of tickets (and i saw the email chain as proof) - he was told no problem as long as i provided Shortbread and White Sausage to a certain We Love staff member (cannot recall his name)

so i got the items, took them to Ibiza and rocked up to We Love with them in a bag - turned out the chap was manning the guestlist queue that day and was massively surprised (and seemed fairly chuffed) i'd actually brought them (he did say that i didn't need them to get in!)

its not really a top story but...

after 2000 when i had a contact in Pacha for that trip
i had been friends with a few Glasgow DJs and one was in a "mildy influential" position so i got some guestlists via that for a while
for We Love... at Space he tried to get a couple of tickets (and i saw the email chain as proof) - he was told no problem as long as i provided Shortbread and White Sausage to a certain We Love staff member (cannot recall his name)

so i got the items, took them to Ibiza and rocked up to We Love with them in a bag - turned out the chap was manning the guestlist queue that day and was massively surprised (and seemed fairly chuffed) i'd actually brought them (he did say that i didn't need them to get in!)

I think I know who the person in question is

Back