Greatest vocal track of all time.

Don't be silly. The two tracks work wonders together. The original Finally is a way too tame, girly track for my liking. :lol:

what you call girly others might prefer to call stunning house music with real soul ..

I can think of about 15 different versions of that track - the most well known was the layo & bushwacka cut-up which got the radio play - but the kevin yost was prob my fave

Theres no decent mixes out and its usually resorted to mash-ups but more recently I think La Roux's In For the Kill really does the job, heard it played with Cirez D - On/Off this year

Modjo - Lady & Stardust - Music Sounds Better with You are two from me aswell

My biggest goosebump experience was Tiesto dropping his in search of sunrise mix of Delirium's Silence at Privilege when he played there as a one off in 2007(?) as part of his Elements of Life tour.

A stunning vocal which sounded amazing with the whole club joining in.

I can also remember a great moment @ The Arches in Glasgow when Stonebridge played Show me Love. I'm sure it wouldn't get the same reaction now but at that moment I was in heaven. I remember turning to my mate and saying to him that the only thing that could make the night better would be if he played Robin S. No sooner had I said it and I heard it getting mixed in. Stonebridge just turned down the track and let the crowd sing it in parts. It was just one of those nights for me :)

In fact last christmas Ferry Corsten did something similar when he played Out of the Blue at a charity gig in Glasgow. Very bizzare as the track has no vocal but everyone was "do do dooo" ing the chorus lol.

what you call girly others might prefer to call stunning house music with real soul ..

I can think of about 15 different versions of that track - the most well known was the layo & bushwacka cut-up which got the radio play - but the kevin yost was prob my fave

I'm not a trainspotter, but the original really does very little for me (I don't know all the different mixes, bar the ambient one, which I prefer), where as the L&B version grabbed me by the ears the first time I heard it... It was certainly cained by all the cool people when it first broke as a bootleg or whatever, so I feel no guilt. ;)

Under the water - Brother Brown
Finally - Kings of Tomorrow
Hideaway - De'Lacy
You got the love - Candi Staton
Your Loving arms - Billie Ray Martin
Free - Ultra Nate
Sing it Back - Moloko
Lady - Modjo
Everybody be Somebody - Ruffneck feat Yavahn

Sorry typical girly tracks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alison Limerick - where love lives
anything by Daft Punk with a vocal on it
Rosie Gaines - closer than close
Joe Smooth - promised land
soul 2 soul - back to life
I could go on forever I could never pick one!

Alison Limerick - where love lives
anything by Daft Punk with a vocal on it
Rosie Gaines - closer than close
Joe Smooth - promised land
soul 2 soul - back to life
I could go on forever I could never pick one!

I forgot about soul 2 soul - back to life. LOVE that track

Goodfellaz - Soul Heaven!!

Deux - Sun Rising Up

Muse - Sunburn (Timo Mass Mix)

Mutiny - Secrets

Bascially anything from the 2001 and 2005 season!! They were great years for vocal house

I think the original vocal house classics are pretty easy to identify - post-2000 it becomes much harder, simply because fewer original vocals appear on records and record labels proved increasingly unwilling/unable to pay out for quality session singers. The nature of dance music changed with people either listening to very generic commercial hits or totally out there european techno with fewer and fewer outlets for the uplifting quality dance music, I grew up with. But certain producers continued to make outstanding vocal tracks for the dancefloor over the decade (across different genres) and I've listed 10 here which mean a lot to me:

1. blaze/barbara tucker - most previous love (the original/dennis ferrer - not the version which charted) - true house music - caused pandemonium everywhere I went in 2005

2. michael watford/jamie lewis - it's over - pure SOUL

3. tracey thorn / martin buttrich - it's all true - the vocal mix was very hard to get hold of on 12 at the time, but anything with tracy thorn's voice I generally grab on sight - haunting, deep, beautiful

4. hercules & love affair - blind - frankie knuckles vocal - some peeps prefer the instrumental but I think Anthony's melancholic voice is totally unique - a real, feelgood end of nighter - and an instant classic. Knuckles back on form

5. depeche mode - the sinner in me - villalobos mix - it's an stunning tune heard in full, dave gahan adding real warmth to might have been a fairly cold record. Still gives me shivers

6. ben westbeech - so good today (yoruba soul mix) - this is as deep as the hills, shame his career never took off, despite Gilles Peterson's support, but this tune was an absolute dancefloor killer for me in 2006, definite echoes of jamiroquai at their best.

7. moloko - forever more - francois k/eric kupper mix - another end of nighter of which I have very fond memories - her voice is unreal. Emotional music.

8. goldfrapp - strict machine - ewan pearson stripped down vocal - one good thing good to emerge from the illfated electroclash scene was a number of producers making robo disco-esque tracks heavily influenced by the likes of Giorgio Moroder and Alexander Robotnick. This was devastating, an "I feel Love" for a new generation and it helped (for better or worse) to usher in the nu-electro age

9. felix da housecat / miss kittin - what does it feel like - royskopp remix - like the depeche mode remix, this also exposed me to the new european minimal sound, it was house but not house, techno but not techno and blurred all sorts of genre boundaries. Miss Kittin's cold yet charming, metallic voice sounded amazing the first time I heard this at the key. It was the sound of the future.

10. underworld - two months off - as the world's second biggest Underworld fan (there's a guy in Canada I found out is even more stalker-y) I usually grab anything they release (not the recent release though!) and this was the standout from their noughties output. It NEEDS to be heard live. YOU BRING LIGHT IN! YOU BRING LIGHT IN! as karl prances around the stage looking like an overanimated chimp. An anthemic, titanic call to rave arms.

Oooh good choice, was listening to that earlier

Love Nakin & KAne - Beachball - I presume that's the one you're referring to!

Great thread, keep em coming, gonna spotify up a playlist!

Defo the Naline & Kane - my all time favourite and was my sunset song when i seen my 1st sunset in 2009!!

Back