Fomentera in a day??

joseph

does anyone know if it's possible/worthwile to go to Formentera for just a day trip, we have accomodation in ibiza town for the week, but want to spend a day in formentera, we would like to combine seeing some of the beaches, with a visit to the 'blue bar' etc, but are unsure if that would fit in with ferry times etc, i,e if you go during the day, what time is the last ferry back to ibiza town???

joseph said:
does anyone know if it's possible/worthwile to go to Formentera for just a day trip, we have accomodation in ibiza town for the week, but want to spend a day in formentera, we would like to combine seeing some of the beaches, with a visit to the 'blue bar' etc, but are unsure if that would fit in with ferry times etc, i,e if you go during the day, what time is the last ferry back to ibiza town???

Go for it! You'll love Formentera, IMO the most beautiful of the balearic islands by far.
The ferry drops you at Ses Sabines, the harbour, where you can hire bikes or motorbikes. Formentera is a very small island so probably with a bike you'll be ok.
The Blue Bar is sitted on "Migjorn", the longest beach of the island. The bar is busy all day long, but speacially on the evening. http://www.bluebarformentera.com/

Here you'll find the ferry times, although from Ibiza Town I think there are other companies running this service, but not sure.
www.balearia.net

YOu'll have a really good time there, enjoy!

thanks for that! do you have any idea when is the latest you can come back, i checked the website, but my spanish isn't the best!!

ideally, i want to spend the day exploring the island, and the evening in the blue bar, and then get the ferry back, last thing at night, will this be possible??

joseph said:
thanks for that! do you have any idea when is the latest you can come back, i checked the website, but my spanish isn't the best!!

ideally, i want to spend the day exploring the island, and the evening in the blue bar, and then get the ferry back, last thing at night, will this be possible??

Last ferry it's 21.45, so if you don't wake up too late you'll have time enough to enjoy formentera.
You'll have to hire a car or a bike (or a small motorbike if you can ride it) cos the bus services are a bit odd. There is a main road that it takes about 20 minutes to go from Barbaria to ses Sabiens with the motorbike :eek:
I really recomend a visit to Es Cap de Barbaria. About food, the best place for a decent sandwich would be any bar in Sant Francesc or Sant Ferran (town).

look what you can expect:
http://public.fotki.com/supersil/formentera03/

Definately definately definately go lol. Its well worth it. We went for just an afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Are going again this year for sure. :D

What is the ferry trip like & how long does it take? I'd realy love to go over there but I am really really bad on boat journeys :rolleyes:

Scoobie said:
What is the ferry trip like & how long does it take? I'd realy love to go over there but I am really really bad on boat journeys :rolleyes:

There's a fast boat and a slower boat, we've always gone on the fast one, takes about half an hour.

how much do the boats cost roughly?? any idea how long the slow one takes, sometimes nice to have a more leisurely trip..

There are different boats I think they are 20 minuts, half and hour and one hour. I took once the one hour trip and was very nice. I don't remember the tickets prices, sorry :eek:

Scoobie, you should go, you'll really love it! ;)

If your going over get a bike unless your driving the buses arn't often enuff to explore properly. also mind the rocks and sea enenemas last year i trod on one and it really hurts for days.

Doing this for the first time this year and i cant wait. Ive seen pics of the beach's and it just looks out of this world 8) 8)

We went for a day last August... a right scrum to get a scooter, for sure! Then pure farce leading to inevitable carnage as the kids forgot Daddy had taken the stabilisers off their bikes and that they had to ride on the wrong side of the road! You can get to the other end and back, stopping off at the Blue Bar for a dip and a beer (bought a great eponymously-titled compilation CD there, which still gets a lot of use) on the return leg. Watch the early evening ferry back though, a roller coaster ride that had more than a few hurling over the side!

2 of the bar staff who work with me went yesterday. It was 29 Euros on the fast ferry and then 22 to hire a moped for th for the day. They went all round the island and stopped off at quite a few beaches, had a big lunch and were still in time for work that night.

Are the roads busy? Do the mopeds allow you to carry passengers?

*Saffy* said:
Are the roads busy? Do the mopeds allow you to carry passengers?

The roads are busy of mopeds and bikes. Yes, yo can carry passengers, but don't do it if you have never ride a moped :!:

MM ok .. prob not a good idea then as, although I've had a scooter in the past, M hasn't.

Where's best to walk to from where the ferry drops you off ?

*Saffy* said:
MM ok .. prob not a good idea then as, although I've had a scooter in the past, M hasn't.

Where's best to walk to from where the ferry drops you off ?

Why not hiring bikes?
The roads are safe enough if you are carefull. You can go to Illetes that it's not far from la Sabina (harbour) and I think it should take around 30-45 minutes to get to the beach. The journey is a non-asphalted path, wide and nice throught pine trees and "salines".
You can also go to Migjorn (my fav beach), but you should take main roads.

Formentera... OMG what a place. IMO it's THE PLACE on Balearic Islands. The relaxing atmosphere, the feeling of freedom, the in-cre-di-ble beaches...

At lunchtime go to the restaurant "El Mirador" and sit on the terrace. By far, the best views I've seen on ages. Incredible location, near the southern point of the island, that is a little bit elevated from the sea, and you can see ALL the island under you. Lovely moment and great pics you can make (sorry, I dont have pics :oops:

I've found this pic in Internet. Very close to reality.

Mirador.jpg

Back