Flights to Ibiza

Never used them - but part of my ticket allows me to catch an earlier flight on the same day, so could do that and if it's cancelled ask them to put me on the one I should have been on. Got two shots at getting to Barcelona for 1740, the flight I have booked (around 12-ish), if that's cancelled then there's one around 1420 and then the one which really would be a tight squeeze - around 1540. Once in Barca if the 1740 to Manchester is cancelled then I shall beg/plead them to find me a seat on the Easyjet that flies later!!

The reason timing's important is that there's NHS paid-for cover for mum up until midnight Weds, any time after that I'm beggering about trying to find flights and cover for mum 1000 miles away; stress I could do without on a rare break!!

It IS a budget airline (but then again British Airways is usually shit) so I'm not expecting a free shag from an attendant, just hope they do the job with time to spare. They are quick to respond to twitter though!!

You've done all anyone reasonably can mate just have to hope for the best. I always have checked luggage to worry about too so connections are a major headache. With hand luggage I've even seen people bussed from one plane direct to another on same airline when time is very tight. Have faith !

Just looked at 1054 Sun, and a flights back to Manchester UK this afternoon are possible but the cheapest is just over £300 (and you get to transfer in Munich...)

Just looked at 1054 Sun, and a flights back to Manchester UK this afternoon are possible but the cheapest is just over £300 (and you get to transfer in Munich...)

Transfer fares vary but it used to be about £180-£200 on the day for an emergency one way direct flight home if you binned your ticket and stayed on or missed your flight. That was going back at least 3 years. Last couple of years the lid has come off and unless you are very lucky you can easily be in to £300-£500 especially at the weekend, any time after July or even earlier. Being spontaneous (or careless) comes at a higher and higher price !

Transfer fares vary but it used to be about £180-£200 on the day for an emergency one way direct flight home if you binned your ticket and stayed on or missed your flight. That was going back at least 3 years. Last couple of years the lid has come off and unless you are very lucky you can easily be in to £300-£500 especially at the weekend, any time after July or even earlier. Being spontaneous (or careless) comes at a higher and higher price !
Of course, that's the nature of the beast (and the internet) they know with a couple of hours to go those desperate to fly will pay a premium. However, maybe 24 hours before or at the very last minute the prices could be a few euros - anything to fill a seat. If someone could be assured of getting through security quickly, it's possible to sit in the cafe downstairs, keep updating and if there's a very sharp dip in the price as the plane's due to take off, buy and dash!!
In the UK we have the newspaper Independent's travel editor, Simon Calder, I'm sure he'd love to have a go to see if it works. Of course if you NEED a flight there's no guarantee that system would work; but for someone like me, retired with time to kill (other than the caring role) I could go down to Manchester Airport (May/June/Sept/Oct) with bag packed and wait to see if a dirt cheap price appears. Or even go to a desk and haggle..."I'll give you £30 for that empty seat". Then if it works, book a flight back during the holiday!!

Of course, that's the nature of the beast (and the internet) they know with a couple of hours to go those desperate to fly will pay a premium. However, maybe 24 hours before or at the very last minute the prices could be a few euros - anything to fill a seat. If someone could be assured of getting through security quickly, it's possible to sit in the cafe downstairs, keep updating and if there's a very sharp dip in the price as the plane's due to take off, buy and dash!!
In the UK we have the newspaper Independent's travel editor, Simon Calder, I'm sure he'd love to have a go to see if it works. Of course if you NEED a flight there's no guarantee that system would work; but for someone like me, retired with time to kill (other than the caring role) I could go down to Manchester Airport (May/June/Sept/Oct) with bag packed and wait to see if a dirt cheap price appears. Or even go to a desk and haggle..."I'll give you £30 for that empty seat". Then if it works, book a flight back during the holiday!!
I can tell you that this probably won't work. They have staff travellers filling in empty seats for a reasonable fare. Not 300 pounds but not 30 pounds either. Off course there is always a chance that they have lots of empty seats and you'll make it work...but if we're talking holiday season...probably not gonna work.

Yeah most online ticket sales are withdrawn about 2 hours before departure I think. it doesn't typically work for flights back from Ibiza - I've done the turn up at the airport thing and the lowest I've ever got it haggled down to is 200 euros cash no receipt and a hand-written docket for check-in (rather than a ticket) from the airport desk. That was with Thomson before it became TUI. TUI and dare I say it Thomas Cook used to do last minute fare slashing outbound from the UK all Season to fill up a few last seats, but return from Ibiza online only generally in May, June or October with inbound fares held a lot higher. The non-tour operator airlines just didn't unless their flights had a lot of capacity and that had been the fare on sale online for a few days before already anyway.

I can tell you that this probably won't work. They have staff travellers filling in empty seats for a reasonable fare. Not 300 pounds but not 30 pounds either. Off course there is always a chance that they have lots of empty seats and you'll make it work...but if we're talking holiday season...probably not gonna work.
When I've gone out in May, usually on the first "tourist" direct flight, I've come back a few days later and the plane has a handful on, something like 20 - 30 rather than 200! But that's clearly a rarity and other than that, the rest of the planes I have been on have only a handful of seats available - I bet they are probably no-shows.

Flights from uk leaving this week are now nearly all full:oops: obviously as a result of Thomas Cook going under...

Hope some of the staff, flight routes and hotels are taken on by Tui and Jet2 for 2020 but I'm more sure all will, I think capacity will just be lower and prices will go up

Hope some of the staff, flight routes and hotels are taken on by Tui and Jet2 for 2020 but I'm more sure all will, I think capacity will just be lower and prices will go up

As much of a shame it is for Thomas cook and all those effected today. It will be a good thing for airlines on the same market as there is over capacity. How that will benefit customers I don't think it will but you won't find a noticeable lack of availability.

As much of a shame it is for Thomas cook and all those effected today. It will be a good thing for airlines on the same market as there is over capacity. How that will benefit customers I don't think it will but you won't find a noticeable lack of availability.

I've often thought there is a niche for a smaller operator to go upmarket for short haul flights. I.e. a plane with just premium economy and first class seating, free drinks and food onboard etc.

As we know, there's a big market for Instagrammable stuff in Ibiza, so surely there's a demand for at least one flight a week where the flight matches the premium service the flyers will have in the clubs?

I've often thought there is a niche for a smaller operator to go upmarket for short haul flights. I.e. a plane with just premium economy and first class seating, free drinks and food onboard etc.

As we know, there's a big market for Instagrammable stuff in Ibiza, so surely there's a demand for at least one flight a week where the flight matches the premium service the flyers will have in the clubs?
Child free?

Having a plane parked up will rack up so many costs... Parking charges, Maintenance, Leasing, Crew, Operations. Just because the plane is parked up doesn't mean it is free
Then there is a challenge of getting the parking space and the times you want to fly at an airport

You would have to pay a lot of money for such a short flight would it really be worth it?

Having a plane parked up will rack up so many costs... Parking charges, Maintenance, Leasing, Crew, Operations. Just because the plane is parked up doesn't mean it is free
Then there is a challenge of getting the parking space and the times you want to fly at an airport

You would have to pay a lot of money for such a short flight would it really be worth it?

Very true, it would have to service several destinations per week to make it worthwhile. Just thinking of ways an company could make travel different, as a reason we are being given for Thomas Cook failing is they haven't been different enough.

Very true, it would have to service several destinations per week to make it worthwhile. Just thinking of ways an company could make travel different, as a reason we are being given for Thomas Cook failing is they haven't been different enough.

They didn't adapt... They provided a service that only old people who didn't have access to the internet would use.
Blaming brexit and a hot summer in the UK is a pretty damn poor excuse to fail. It just shows that they were hanging on the brink considering their size

Jet2 found a market and are doing well with package deals and mainly in my opinion because they took to being an online travel agency and offered a deposit to secure your package holiday.

I'd do that. Someone like FlyBE could have a go, they have smaller aircraft, although in today's conditions I would think far too risky.

Back