Fitness help

Beckiboo

For all you fitness freaks out there 8)

I'm competing in a 10k race (I use the term "race" very loosely :lol:) on Saturday. I've been training for this for about a month now, I'm up to running about 8k or so a couple fo times a week.

I ran 8k this lunchtime, felt really good doing it so I'm hoping I should find Saturday relatively ok now. My question is:

Should I go for another run this week? Or leave it until the race? I obviously dont want to have achey muscles on the day of the race. Plus I think I have a slight calf strain at the moment, dont want to aggrivate that either.

Any advice appreciated :)

For all you fitness freaks out there 8)

I'm competing in a 10k race (I use the term "race" very loosely :lol:) on Saturday. I've been training for this for about a month now, I'm up to running about 8k or so a couple fo times a week.

I ran 8k this lunchtime, felt really good doing it so I'm hoping I should find Saturday relatively ok now. My question is:

Should I go for another run this week? Or leave it until the race? I obviously dont want to have achey muscles on the day of the race. Plus I think I have a slight calf strain at the moment, dont want to aggrivate that either.

i wouldnt run more than 3-4k in the week of the race.

good luck and enjoy it! what run is it?

gonna get my running shoes back on as soon as New York is out of the way.

Nah, but do something to keep your muscles alive. And carb buiiiiiiiild. If your doing 8k already then 10k should be a walk in the park on race day. ( Your limit + Adreneline on race day = Double your limit. )

as above. Dont do any more running this week. A good stretch each day is a good idea though.

i wouldnt do anything later than weds abnd keep to about 6k!!!

when I ran the marathon, the most I ever did was 18m, after I had knocked that up with ease a few times I knew I was ready!

As jj says, go for a little jog say wednesday, for about 3 miles, then rest. And eat carbs friday.

Personally I would do 2k sprints every second day, just to keep the blood flowing. When I was training for the marathon I go up to 21 mile and then done 6mile 'sprints' the fortnight before. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

j

Well... despite being struck down with a cold on Friday.. I managed to get up and complete the Valentine's 10k Love Run on Saturday morning!

I finished in 57.30 mins and was 786th out of 2000 runners :)

Feel very chuffed that I finished in under an hour for my first ever race 8)

Well... despite being struck down with a cold on Friday.. I managed to get up and complete the Valentine's 10k Love Run on Saturday morning!

Well done Miss Boo!8)

Oooh well done!

I'm getting into my running now so may have to do one of these races with you some time. :D

Well done! Such a great achievement! :) I just love stuff like this!!

I have my own little "race" story...

Been training for the past 6 months for the sani2c mountain bike race which starts next Wed. For those of you that do any biking, it's 270km (about 170 miles) offroad over 3 days from the Drakensberg to the South Coast of South Africa. It covers mountainous terrain and has an approximate Total Ascent = 4525m!! I'm basically sh!tting myself but feel mentally ready even though i could probably be a tad fitter. I expect to take between 23 and 25 hours to complete the race:!: :eek:

Flying down to South Africa on Saturday... will let you know how it went when i get back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done! Such a great achievement! :) I just love stuff like this!!

I have my own little "race" story...

Been training for the past 6 months for the sani2c mountain bike race which starts next Wed. For those of you that do any biking, it's 270km (about 170 miles) offroad over 3 days from the Drakensberg to the South Coast of South Africa. It covers mountainous terrain and has an approximate Total Ascent = 4525m!! I'm basically sh!tting myself but feel mentally ready even though i could probably be a tad fitter. I expect to take between 23 and 25 hours to complete the race:!: :eek:

Flying down to South Africa on Saturday... will let you know how it went when i get back.

Wow! That kind of p1sses over my little 1hr run lol :eek:

Rob - of course we can run together. Be prepared to eat my dust ;)

@ Beckiboo...

HARDLY!! :) Your "little 1 hour run" was actually 57 minutes and i couldn't do it! I'd be eating your dust too!

Keep it up... ;)

xx

Thats really good for your first and considering you were poorly.

Did you enjoy it ??

I'm covering 70km's a week now, the marathon is 8 weeks away, so now its getting tough :evil: Still enjoying it though. 8)

Thats really good for your first and considering you were poorly.

Did you enjoy it ??

I'm covering 70km's a week now, the marathon is 8 weeks away, so now its getting tough :evil: Still enjoying it though. 8)

I was quite amazed that I made it under an hour too! Although I was running 8k in 50mins beforehand...

I really enjoyed it actually, it made such a nice change to wake up on a Saturday and do something healthy, I'm normally coming home at 10am not racing round a park in Battersea :lol:
The rush I got over the last 100m was amazing, it still makes me smile now just thinking about it :D

Good luck, which marathon is this?

Back