First year and best year

Wayno

Following on from the discussion on the Gossip Thread, it would be interesting to hear what was everyone's first year to visit and for those that have been there multiple time, what was their best year.

My first year was 1998 for a two week holiday.
My best year was probably 2001 as that was the one and only year I did the season.
Excluding that, the best year holiday wise was 2000.

thanks for putting this in a separate thread. as much as I remind everyone, people keep posting stuff in the gossip thread that has got zero to do with the subject ;)

my first year was 2004.

my best year? either the first one - because it was all so fresh and I got to see the old space terrace still, or then 2007, which was my first season and the last year the clubs could still open at 8am. so probably 2007 was tops for me, I already knew lots of the island, clubbing was still almost 24hrs if you wanted it and the first working season is always super exciting.

I still very much enjoy ibiza nowadays though :)

thanks for putting this in a separate thread. as much as I remind everyone, people keep posting stuff in the gossip thread that has got zero to do with the subject ;)

my first year was 2004.

my best year? either the first one - because it was all so fresh and I got to see the old space terrace still, or then 2007, which was my first season and the last year the clubs could still open at 8am. so probably 2007 was tops for me, I already knew lots of the island, clubbing was still almost 24hrs if you wanted it and the first working season is always super exciting.

I still very much enjoy ibiza nowadays though :)
Yes, despite my best years being in the early 2000's, I've still been every year since. And while every year still has it's moments, seeing the island at that time when as you say, clubbing was still 24 hours, Bora Bora was off the scale, there was Playa Pacha too. Then not to mention all the after hours, the Space Terrace and just the general anything goes vibe that there was then.

I think it was 2003...

First time having dinner at KM5, my first We Love Space on Sunday (including a pass out to Bora Bora to eat), and Roger Sanchez at Pacha Monday night.

One of the girls we were with knew Sanchez from NYC and we ended up at his table in VIP.

The parents of the other girl in our group had a pad in Roca Lisa so all we had to really cover was flights.

Everything was salt water in her pad - shower, taps.

I've been 1-4 times most years since then I think.

Many times have been amazing - the first time I went to Elrow without knowing anything about it, when it was at Vista club, was pretty insane.

Discovering the different beaches for the first time, and the first trip to Formentera (which was just a few years ago, which is unbelievable).

Space was and will always be the best club; Space closing was probably the best clubbing event of my life, for so many reasons.

Yes, despite my best years being in the early 2000's, I've still been every year since. And while every year still has it's moments, seeing the island at that time when as you say, clubbing was still 24 hours, Bora Bora was off the scale, there was Playa Pacha too. Then not to mention all the after hours, the Space Terrace and just the general anything goes vibe that there was then.
Agreed.

I was first there in 2002 (?). For Ibiza itself, 1st few trips were the best. San An was loads better back then, before that crappy promenade. It was a lot better when those bars were more party spots that went straight on to the beach. The west end would have been more fun than what it sounds like now. PDB used to better too... I was never a big Space person (maybe because I didn't experience it in its proper heyday) but loved Sankeys in the few years it was doing well.

That said, I still enjoy my trips as much as ever, thanks to making friends there over the years and maybe just adjusting the sort of stuff I do while away. I'm as happy with a drink and some good Spanish food as I am partying.

First year 2005. Best year for partying was 2007 - just hit the ground running and felt like we did it all properly and just about managed to see everything before all the curfews came in etc.

1996 was my first. Two Manumissions and the first Essential mix live from Amnesia. Had some great trips since, quite a few of them recently, but that one had probably the most 'moments'.

I think those 3 nights were the only times we ventured out of San An....took me until my third trip to to make it to Ibiza town!

First trip 1995, Kaos (now Eden), Manumission, trying to get work and then coming back to the UK early because of health reasons! Best year 2001 - the music was special, mornings at Space, Retro/Garlands, and I met my now husband at Bar M! (2007 comes a close second - Matinee on the terrace - oh my days!)

First year 2000; been every year since then except one.

Best year depends on the standard. If it's purely about the music then 2001. I vividly remember Vaiio - "Rapture" (Creamer & K Remix) and Brancaccio & Aisher - "Lovely Day" played everywhere but especially in broad daylight on the Space Terrace....There was a Sunday at Space in early September with Sasha, Kleinenberg and Lawler where the power went out midway through the night...think I posted on that evening before on a different thread. EDIT: That was also the era of DC10 opening at 8am on Mondays after the 24-hr marathon at Space...a beautifully twisted scene on the dancefloor those mornings.

But after 19 years I've come to judge "best year" based as much on the people as the music, in which case the stretch of 2008-2009 was tops for me. Just some truly special friendships and adventures that year, and musically it also happened to be the peak of Main Room Sven, aka Papa The Destroyer (my favorite era of Cocoon) and the afterhours at Atzaro for the 2009 closing, pure gold.

My first year was 2010. I'm an American who had just discovered the experience of going to dance music events, after going to one of Armin van Buuren's "Universal Religion" shows in Seattle, Washington. Summer plans to visit Thailand with a friend had to be cancelled due to civil unrest there, so instead I booked a solo trip to see what Ibiza was all about. I spent five days there, staying at the old La Marina hotel at the base of the Dalt Vila, and completely fell in love with the Island.

I've been back five times since, but the best year for sure was 2015. Ironically it had started out as the worst possible year, as my father had passed away on New Years Eve. I eventually decided that I needed to do something to reset my attitude, so I booked myself a nine day trip for that July. It was the perfect time for a trance lover like me there, with State of Trance at Ushuaia, great lineups at Cream, and Ferry Corsten having his Full On show at Space. Ibiza Gay Pride was having it's resurgence, with fun times at Benimussa Park (I even ended up on the cover page for the Ibiza Spotlight Gay guide). But the best part is that even though it was a solo trip, I made so many friends that week and had such a great time enjoying the days and nights with them. There's never been another time when I've had even close to as many truly memorable experiences in such a short span of days. That week changed a year with my very worst memories into one with my very best ones too.

My first year was 2012 - first club night was Sankeys where we saw Miguel Campbell, followed by Cream at Amnesia the next night. After that I was hooked.

The best year? 2018 because of our wedding (obviously) but apart from that 2014 for my season with Ibiza Rocks!

First year was 2003 as a 22 Year Old and did 6 Clubs in 7 Nights. It was incredible and after 6 years of aching to get to the island and hearing all about it it was a brilliant week. Instantly fell in love

Hard to pick a Best Year but it was probably 2011. Went out 3 times and ended with a week at the end of October and did Bambudda around Halloween. Seeing the island out of season and exploring pretty much all of it was amazing. Drummers on a very quiet Benirras was something I won’t forget. As for the 2 summer visits Cream was booming back then, Tiesto was still playing a bit of trance and filling Privilege, Saw Groove Armada on the Space Terrace and Eric Prydz block show on the Amnesia Terrace.

08 and 09 were also amazing. Hard to pick from so many great times and memories

Last edited:
First year 2000; been every year since then except one.

Best year depends on the standard. If it's purely about the music then 2001. I vividly remember Vaiio - "Rapture" (Creamer & K Remix) and Brancaccio & Aisher - "Lovely Day" played everywhere but especially in broad daylight on the Space Terrace....There was a Sunday at Space in early September with Sasha, Kleinenberg and Lawler where the power went out midway through the night...think I posted on that evening before on a different thread. EDIT: That was also the era of DC10 opening at 8am on Mondays after the 24-hr marathon at Space...a beautifully twisted scene on the dancefloor those mornings.

But after 19 years I've come to judge "best year" based as much on the people as the music, in which case the stretch of 2008-2009 was tops for me. Just some truly special friendships and adventures that year, and musically it also happened to be the peak of Main Room Sven, aka Papa The Destroyer (my favorite era of Cocoon) and the afterhours at Atzaro for the 2009 closing, pure gold.
I was there that night at Space when the power went! About an hour into Sasha's set, boom, no music! Nobody knew what was going on.

1996 was first year - went to Kaos (Eden), Es Paradis and Amnesia (open air terrace I think) - a dancer fell off the roof onto the dance floor of the main room when trapeesing - ouch!

Best year was probably (if you can remember, it probably wasn’t THAT good) late 90s/early 00s, when Pacha was my favourite club, also because Space and DC10 had open air terraces ?

Edit: last year at Pikes for my 40th was right up there, a much different vibe though!

First year 2006, I was a little to young to poor & not massively into the music back then, spent to much time in the West End, Clubs I went to that year: Pacha - not sure of the night, Head Kandi @ El Divino, Es Paradise - again not sure of the night, but it was busy! which is a marvel to behold.

Best year 2012, went twice, Stayed at Ibiza rocks back end of August - Biffy Clyro, Nights - Flower Power @ Pacha, Es paradise - one of the wet nights..., Amnesia - Best moment, watching Usain Bolt win the 200m at Café Mambo with hundreds of people cheering.

Went back in October for the closing weekend - Ushuaia Closing party & Space Closing Fiesta

Space 27 Closing fiesta still holds a special spot, Space Cowboy blaring out as it approached noon on the Monday - fun times

First time I went was 2016, before going I wasn't really into the music as much but I left with new found tastes. I was honoured to be able to experience Space. I knew of its legendary status and understood why. Every year I have been always tops the previous. Not sure if I will be back this year but I can't imagine a life without Ibiza.

Back