Fined for speeding - pay or not?

tclubber

I got a lovely letter from the Spanish authorities. They caught me on camera driving 104kmh instead of the allowed 80. The instructions on how to pay on the Internet are in 4 languages, everything else is in Spanish only (including the provision that a payment within 30 days reduces the fine by 30%).

I understand that Germany hasn't imlemented the EU-wide collection of traffic fines yet, so they cannot get me here if I refuse to pay. However, I will most likely go again to Ibiza the next year. If I do not pay now and ignore any future letters from me, what can they do to me in Ibiza? Will just require me to pay the fine immediately if caught, or lock me up?

Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks!

What's the point in risking ruining your next visit to Ibiza by not paying the fine as afterall you know your in the wrong so why try & ignore it?;) Best pay up & be safe unless ofcourse you want your next visit on Ibiza to be staying at the Islands new jail:lol: .

once you hand over details of your passport to hotel.next day you will be in jail.not worth the risk.you should not have been going so fast.do you do it back home.and think you can get away with it.

Not excusing the offence,but I believe the OP lives in germany where you can drive faster than the Ibiza speed limit....

I like the slow lane myself.

you should not have been going so fast.do you do it back home.and think you can get away with it.
Um... ya! I seriously doubt there's anyone here who drives who doesn't exceed the speed limit at some point... especially at home! Do you think you can get away with it? You certainly hope so!

I'm a very conscientious driver so it's not often I go excessively fast. Nevertheless, I see no reason to attack this guy. He's about to pay his dues.

To the original poster - just pay the ticket. Better safe than sorry. More importantly, it's the right thing to do.

I would not pay it. They cant put you in Jail for non-payment of a speeding fine:spank:

The collection of speeding fines is a department not associated with the Police. Its not as if the riot squad will be waiting for you at the airport in the hope that you may appear on the Island again! Your crime is not in the top ten most wanted list on the Island.

Unless they issue a warrant for the non-payment they cannot lock you up. Your country does not have an agreement with Spain, so legally you do not have to pay it.

Its up to you but I'd spend the cash on a good night out instead.

Karma, mate. You got caught. Pay your dues.

Thats one way of looking at it.

The way I look at it is that the system already f$cks me often enough, so when I get a chance to F$ck it.... I take full advantage!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, paying the fine turned out to be easier said than done.

Their website demands a Spanish ID card number or a foreign resident ID number, and since I don't have either as a non-resident, the form will not me allow to proceed to the payment page.

The phone number listed on the letter (902 508 686) doesn't seem to work from Germany. I suppose I dialed it correctly as +34 902 508 686?

Any other way to pay the fine from abroad?

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/member.php?u=16565tclubber

was it a hire car you was in.if yes get the carhire shop to pay the fine useing your card details you gave them.

just a thought.end of the day it was there car and not yours.

if it was your car.well then keep trying to contact them.the longer you leave it the more it might be.but i always thought it was on the spot fines.than pay later.

plus do you know where the camera is.was it mobile or stationary.

was it a hire car you was in.if yes get the carhire shop to pay the fine useing your card details you gave them.
Yes, it was an AVIS rental car. Will check with AVIS, but I doubt they would do it. I think the driver is responsible for speeding fines, and not the owner.

but i always thought it was on the spot fines.than pay later.
I think "on the spot" is impossible with automated cameras, since there is no cop nearby to collect the money. The camera was on the autobahn from Eivissa to SanAn. It appeared to be stationary (I think I saw the camera flash on exiting the tunnel).

Hey listen,

How much must you pay 'post it on here the fine' & i reckon most Spotlighters will say it's best to pay the fine. Afterall if you can't pay for the cime that you inflicted on yourself then don't waste our time. Harsh but reality....

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure of how you stand and of course you won't be imprisoned but I have heard if you try and hire another car, your history will pop up on the computer and you can kiss goodbye to your licence which will be withheld until you pay and of course no chance to hire another car until you get your licence back.

Is it really worth the hassle - you did the crime so pay the fine.

did not know there was one san an to ibiza tunnel bit.mine you lots if signs to tell you the speed limit.its ok on the far back roads.but with that begin a major road.you must keep to the speed limit.

these people might be able to help you out

http://spain.embassyhomepage.com/

Back