Fined for speeding - pay or not?

... I have heard if you try and hire another car,
your history will pop up on the computer
and you can kiss goodbye to your licence which will be withheld
until you pay and of course no chance to hire another car
until you get your licence back ...
omg :lol: ... TonyTonyTony ...
... you should slow down on the voddy and/or stop reading all those tabloids :)

Got a reply from the Spanish embassy today.

They confirmed that it is often difficult to pay traffic fines for non-residents. They offered to forward my data to Spanish authorities, who would then contact me with a way to wire money from Germany.

They also mentioned that it may be possible to pay the fine at Santander Bank. I think I'll try this way first, because I am sure the effing Spanish authorities will intentionally delay their message to me so that the 30-day period for the 30% fine reduction passes before I get a chance to pay.

It must be easier to donate money to the ETA than to pay an official Spanish traffic fine :x

Got a reply from the Spanish embassy today.

They confirmed that it is often difficult to pay traffic fines for non-residents.
They offered to forward my data to Spanish authorities,
who would then contact me with a way to wire money ...
you should contact the white house/president obama, the UN and the dalai lama, too
to get a solution for this important case !

Finally managed to pay the fine online by googling for "spanish NIE number format" and entering the first NIE number found into the online form :lol:

The 30% discount for early payment was correctly offered, and I think I will be getting frequent flyer miles from the credit card for that too.

All's well that ends well :lol:

I had a similar thing trying to pay a parking fine here recently. The payment kiosk wouldn't take my US drivers license number as it was a different format from a Russian number, so I just made a number one up :lol: At the end of the day, as long as you're given credit for the payment, that's all that matters!

omg :lol: ... TonyTonyTony ...
... you should slow down on the voddy and/or stop reading all those tabloids :)
He's actually somewhat right, if exaggerated.
Rental agencies say you are liable for any tickets. If they have to pay it (parking fines, for example), some will flag you in their system if they can't go ahead and charge any card they have on file for you.

I am not sure of how you stand and of course you won't be imprisoned but I have heard if you try and hire another car, your history will pop up on the computer and you can kiss goodbye to your licence which will be withheld until you pay and of course no chance to hire another car until you get your licence back.

Is it really worth the hassle - you did the crime so pay the fine.

If you don't pay your fine further in the time the authorities blocks your bank account (not all your bank acount, just the amount you ow them) and the bank will transfer the money to traffic or whoever is the authority asking for this money. That's all with traffic fines at least for spaniards

He's actually somewhat right ...
He's actually somewhat wrong - because he obviously has no experience
how it works in (ibiza´s)reality.
i and blokes i know rent many rentalcars every year @ different rentalagencies.
we never were charged for a parking fine back home.
and back to ibiza till now never anybody from the (same) rentalgency said
we can´t give you a car because you have unpaid fines or something like that.
sure you probably won´t get a car again if you get many fines
and don´t pay them or make damages to the cars ...
but all this possibilities and how they handle it in case you are a "spaniard"
has ZERO to do with the concrete case in this thread.

ps:
in august a parkingfine i got in miami was charged automatically from the creditcard
i paid the car with ... even before i was back home :))

70EUR after the 30% discount. Not big money, was more a matter of principle.

What alot of bother for just 70 bloomin euros Euh:eek:
Over here last week i was stopped & fined 90 euros for not wearing my seatbelt:twisted: i was just putting the damned belt on when i was caught pulling out of our driveway by the gendarmes.:evil:

Oh & they deducted 3 points off my licence aswell.:cry:

Dave

I love how even after tclubber was saying he was going to pay the fine, folk were still giving him the old do the crime pay the fine chat.

unreal :lol:

"...
On the Spot

Police officers could soon be carrying credit card machines to enable people
to pay on the spot fines for their misdemeanours.

The idea is amongst a number of proposals which the Government
wants to bring in during 2010.

This will mean those sanctioned will not have to make unnecessary trips
to pay their fines, and will also mean they will qualify for the early payment discount,
which hopefully this year is set to rise to 50 per cent.
..."
(ibiza-sun)

Back