Films....

Bohemian Rhapsody 6/10

strictly for the fans. bit of a strange film - feels like we know everything there is to know about Queen and you watch it wondering what the actual point of the film is and yet aspects still managed to amuse and move me. FWIW I still think Freddie Mercury was the last of the genuinely charismatic rock stars (has anyone ever topped Radio GaGa at Live Aid?! anyone?) and there is endless material there but this felt very airbrushed and sanitised and awkward around the 'gay thing'... no references to the infamous Sun City or Argentina tours or the threat from punk or the wider musical climate and nothing that ever indicated what he was really thinking, so the mystery remains. Good acting from the lead and top support cast. The actor who played Brian May couldn't be more Brian May if he tried (lol). Did any actor ever get a real life character more accurately? Nothing about Ibiza either or those wild bacchanalian orgies (good ol wholesome family entertainment all the way) or that famous paean to the city I live in. Would have been fun to see KU re-enacted. Perhaps they wanted to end it on a high before he wasted away? Unfortunately I think these kinds of hagiographical musical bios rarely work - only Spinal Tap ever really nailed rock culture and for all the wrong reasons!

Agree with you, probably won't ever see the likes of someone like Freddy Mercury or a band like Queen again.

Got dragged by the missus to see this a few nights ago.

I thought Brian May, actually was Brian May! with some sort of air brush technology in use!

I've never really been a massive fan of Queen, but don't dislike them either if you know what I mean. My knowledge of them is down to a few juke box hits that get the local boozer rocking, so I'm hardly qualified to criticise or anything.

However I thought the film was pretty decent and entertaining, good soundtrack through it. Sure I caught a bit of 'Sultans Of Swing' in the background?

Although, I'd imagine a large chunk of the film isn't factually correct? As is the norm with most films. And apparently Sacha Boren Cohen (or Ali G as he's always called) turned down the role as he believed it didn't focus enough on the hedonistic side of his life? Who knows, maybe the surviving members weren't too keen to delve into that?

Enjoyed the Live Aid part. Queen certainly looked like a band that could rock a stadium!

Bet they were great to see live back in the day. Very few bands around these days that could fill Wembley like that and rock the crowd.

last night i went to watch "they shall not grow old", peter jacksons film about WW1.

great piece of work that makes you humble, proud, angry, thankful.
Just to add that this was shown on BBC2 last night and is available on the iPlayer too (for those in the UK or with other means), in case anyone else is interested. I caught the last hour and thought it was incredible.

Just to add that this was shown on BBC2 last night and is available on the iPlayer too (for those in the UK or with other means), in case anyone else is interested. I caught the last hour and thought it was incredible.

Cheers for that, I wasn’t aware.

That’s my TV sorted out for tonight.

Watched WW1 in colour last night when I got in, also really good to watch.

Agree with you, probably won't ever see the likes of someone like Freddy Mercury or a band like Queen again.

Got dragged by the missus to see this a few nights ago.

I thought Brian May, actually was Brian May! with some sort of air brush technology in use!

I've never really been a massive fan of Queen, but don't dislike them either if you know what I mean. My knowledge of them is down to a few juke box hits that get the local boozer rocking, so I'm hardly qualified to criticise or anything.

However I thought the film was pretty decent and entertaining, good soundtrack through it. Sure I caught a bit of 'Sultans Of Swing' in the background?

Although, I'd imagine a large chunk of the film isn't factually correct? As is the norm with most films. And apparently Sacha Boren Cohen (or Ali G as he's always called) turned down the role as he believed it didn't focus enough on the hedonistic side of his life? Who knows, maybe the surviving members weren't too keen to delve into that?

Enjoyed the Live Aid part. Queen certainly looked like a band that could rock a stadium!

Bet they were great to see live back in the day. Very few bands around these days that could fill Wembley like that and rock the crowd.
Apparently it suffered from about a dozen re-writes, has even more writers (it was originally supposed to be a warts n all film about Queen from the beginning and ended up more just about Bohemian Rhapsody and the making of the track), the original director quit about 6 months into filming and Sacha Baron-Cohen walked because he and the new director didn't get on. I'm amazed it got made at all.

Apparently it suffered from about a dozen re-writes, has even more writers (it was originally supposed to be a warts n all film about Queen from the beginning and ended up more just about Bohemian Rhapsody and the making of the track), the original director quit about 6 months into filming and Sacha Baron-Cohen walked because he and the new director didn't get on. I'm amazed it got made at all.
What it could have been, an injustice to the man. I used to live above montreux for a few years and go swim by the statue of Freddy in summers. Plenty of people still leave flowers there every day!!

Don’t tell me wife but I’ve fallen in love with the Irish actress Jessie Buckley after watching
Beast
Unf***inbelieveable movie

One to watch.. really enjoyed it. Night all. More exciting weekend next week. Dublin on Friday for micha p hinson
One of my favorite songs ever.. and where I first heard it from the brilliant pontus alv Emerica shoe clip where he and friends built all these skate spots in the few months they have in Malmo without snow.
And his classic from years ago

Last edited:
Calibre is a great film on Netflix at the minute. Enjoyed Lion too. Plus a very good series The Sinner...Season one especially was excellent. Will get on that Blindspotting. Like the sound of it. ?

Calibre is a great film on Netflix at the minute. Enjoyed Lion too. Plus a very good series The Sinner...Season one especially was excellent. Will get on that Blindspotting. Like the sound of it. ?
Jessica biel in coke fueled orgy got my attention for season one..

Avengers:Endgame. Quite possibly the most over-hyped film ever. They could have chopped 45 minutes out of it easily and still lost nothing from the end result. Too many 'meaningful' stares, pregnant pauses and totally inconsequential waffle. The last episode of Game of Thrones was MUCH better in my opinion.

Back