Few questions about permanently relocating

did you never wonder why road signs have eivissa, sant antoni rather than ibiza and san antonio? you are correct in questioning the logic behind the necessity of catalan in many jobs when all catalan speakers are bilingual. why would you restrict your search for a chief neuro-surgeon at the hospital to a labour market of 10% of the population because of this? in san jose, the first questio on the application to be a taxi driver is not, can you drive, or have you got a license, not even do you have any idea of the geography of ibiza, but can you speak catalan! ironic when 90% of summer clients in taxis don't even know what catalan is.
A bit weird as at least 70% of the taxi driver in Barcelona for example are from Pakistan and don’t speak a word of Catalan ....

they broadly speak the same language although a lot of people in the balearics get a bit pissed off when Catalonian Catalans refer to the "Països Catalans " (catalan countries) - Disentangling all the history and regional differences will give everyone a headache so I'm not even going there! :lol: But the balearic and catalan governments do generally share in common a commitment to protecting their language
I used to live in Ibiza in the past ( but was much younger and wasn’t really interested about all of that ) but was always thinking that the “Catalan “ in Ibiza was not the real Catalan speaking you speak in the Catalan region but more of a dialect like the valenciano in valencia , menorquín en menorca and so on ...

In theory you cannot hold two driving licences and you have to hand one over to get the other, in practice you can declare one lost and apply for a replacement then hand the "lost" one in when you need to exchange it for the foreign one. I believe it's actually illegal though, so of course I would never, ever do such a thing.

the problem now is the website says I might have to wait NINE MONTHS (!) to obtain new licence. So should I still apply to the DVLA in the meantime as a backup?

A bit weird as at least 70% of the taxi driver in Barcelona for example are from Pakistan and don’t speak a word of Catalan ....

I think that is because the cabs are licensed to spanish drivers who then sub-let the cars out to pakistani taxi drivers.

I used to live in Ibiza in the past ( but was much younger and wasn’t really interested about all of that ) but was always thinking that the “Catalan “ in Ibiza was not the real Catalan speaking you speak in the Catalan region but more of a dialect like the valenciano in valencia , menorquín en menorca and so on ...

the ibicenco variant actually sounds nicer to my ears - but speaking from bruising experience, never, ever call anything in Spain a dialect or you'll get sucked into a massively pointless argument !

the ibicenco variant actually sounds nicer to my ears - but speaking from bruising experience, never, ever call anything in Spain a dialect or you'll get sucked into a massively pointless argument !
Jajaja already happened quiet a few time , last time was actually Sunday morning after hivernacle ( brunch in the park winter version ) went to a friend’s appartement and they were a small “ guérilla “ between people from Sevilla and some from catalunya... always the same dialogue....

Jajaja already happened quiet a few time , last time was actually Sunday morning after hivernacle ( brunch in the park winter version ) went to a friend’s appartement and they were a small “ guérilla “ between people from Sevilla and some from catalunya... always the same dialogue....

is there that same tension on the islands? people actually shunning or even hating each other because of the language they choose? Clearly, a lot of people dislike the English (another discussion) but is there that same resentment towards say mainlanders or Catalans?

is there that same tension on the islands? people actually shunning or even hating each other because of the language they choose? Clearly, a lot of people dislike the English (another discussion) but is there that same resentment towards say mainlanders or Catalans?

I don't perceive it like that here at all.
@McRackin what's your verdict?

the problem now is the website says I might have to wait NINE MONTHS (!) to obtain new licence. So should I still apply to the DVLA in the meantime as a backup?

I would say so, yes.

Not sure how it works in Spain but I had to exchange my licence for a German one before the original deadline and I didn't have to hand the old licence in until the new one arrived (I actually had to go and get it, they don't post it). Theoretically you could be made to take a test if you don't get it done and we leave with no deal. If it were me, would apply ASAP in Spain and if you have to send your UK licence then do, then apply for a replacement from the DVLA.

Back