Few questions about permanently relocating

Hey,
Just thought I'd let you know, I am a qualified Dispensing Optician also looking at moving to Ibiza with my family next year. In April whilst on holiday I took my CV's around to the local opticians in Santa Eulalia and also Ibiza town. I got great feedback from those and was even offered a placement in Ibiza town but only for the summer purely because I don't speak Spanish yet. it was still a job offer though so don't be disheartened by the language situation. I thought it would be harder than it actually was. There aren't really any large chain stores to transfer to unfortunately for us, they all seem to be independents or stores with maybe one sister store.
Also one more thing being qualified myself and now knowing this, Dispensing Optician qualifications aren't worth as much in Spain/Ibiza as they are here in the UK. She will be an Optical Dispenser/Optical Assistant and also a lab technician. so if she can maybe it would be worth getting some lab training in before you move!!
Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for this, great advice. Similarly to Stivi.

Its a good few years off before we make the jump, thats one of the reasons we're (I'm) starting to gather info... so its all covered rather than a 'jump in with both feet' effort. Rest assured we'll be taking a longer summer trip in a couple of years, notice i said trip rather than hol... the plan is to treat it like we live there rather than pool-drink-party.

we'll deffo be taking a wintertime break there too as a final litmus test of whether it seems like our kind of place.

All great advice from everyone who's replied, thanks very much.

With this said, I periodically look at property to buy, does anyone know why SO many properties are available to buy in Cala Vedella? There's a ridiculous amount in that area.

hiya,

again this year we spent three weeks on ibiza, 1 week in mai and two in september. we do like to travel to other places but we are very picky when it comes to other destinations, not many places we like, but we love tuscany, piemonte, the granada area with the sierra nevada but also the costa de sol or tel aviv.
14 years from now we will retire and my wife and i started looking into buyiung a simple and affordable room/apartement/little flat somewhere on the island, our plan is to spend like from march till december on ibiza and the rest back home as taxes here are lower.
we check the idealista homepage almost daily. i now wanted to ask you here in the spotlight forum if prices gone up since last year or if they stagnating? theres loads of property on the market if one is prepared to spend more then 250000 euros, but not so many if the budget is about 140000 euros.

And since I am a regular ibiza visitor, and owner of an apartment, I have never seen the prices go down...
The price of our place in 1994 was 35000 euros (pesetas conversion done)...
Now it's around 250000-280000€...

Reactions: Liv
And since I am a regular ibiza visitor, and owner of an apartment, I have never seen the prices go down...
The price of our place in 1994 was 35000 euros (pesetas conversion done)...
Now it's around 250000-280000€...
ok then best is to buy now

how do they control that? what if we fly once back here? is that legal?
They will just look at the time you spent on the island between 2 flights or ferry tickets...
They also could control your phone bills, electricity, etc...

Some quick questions.. now Brexit has been flextended (whatever that bloody means)

I had my NIE updated and Matt got his while we were there in September, so at least we have that. I have a social security number from before as well.

Now, is it worth one of us making the jump over before the January deadline and getting ourselves sorted? Is it that much hassle getting residency as a non-eu member? Citizens Advice group on Facebook is quite confusing so thought I'd ask here.

Obviously I would need to open a bank account and have some cash in it, but will I need a proof of address for this? Or can it be the address we have on our NIE?

Some quick questions.. now Brexit has been flextended (whatever that bloody means)

I had my NIE updated and Matt got his while we were there in September, so at least we have that. I have a social security number from before as well.

Now, is it worth one of us making the jump over before the January deadline and getting ourselves sorted? Is it that much hassle getting residency as a non-eu member? Citizens Advice group on Facebook is quite confusing so thought I'd ask here.

Obviously I would need to open a bank account and have some cash in it, but will I need a proof of address for this? Or can it be the address we have on our NIE?

my gf is in similar position - NIE conditional on having a job (or sponsorship), bank setup and health insurance (the next step)

also once you're settled in, don't forget to get your empadronamiento - which gives you official status at local town hall level (I think that is also necessary for NIE)

https://expatsmagazine.org/empadronamiento-in-spain/

A little off Topic : As I was a child and first time in Ibz , it was a distressed area. Tourism , ok , but far not like today. The locals ( not all ) , dreamt to go to Germany . There were a lot of spanish guest employes at this time ( even People from the Balearic Islands ). You could earn muuuuuch more money at Opel or Volkswagen than in Spain.
A finca had the price of a good car , not more. Now its a little different .

Last edited:
Cala vadella has a nice German community. You would forget you in Ibiza,No club posters,no banging tunes. There is a bus that goes from cala vadella to San Jose from May- October but after that it's car or taxi...

A little off Topic : As I was a child and first time in Ibz , it was a distressed area. Tourism , ok , but far not like today. The locals ( not all ) , dreamt to go to Germany . There were a lot of spanish guest employes at this time ( even People from the Balearic Islands ). You could earn muuuuuch more money at Opel or Volkswagen than in Spain.
A finca had the price of a good car , not more. Now its a little different .
i think most of the locals dont have big salaries, for instance the taxi drivers dont make that much cash so they have to have two or more jobs to survive, i also spoke to a guy who works for a rental car company near the airport and he told me that they dont get paid much either, dunno how it is working in a hospital, for the city of ibiza or in the restauarant trade?
what i seen is that the house price are fallng and they do reduce prices, like the one house i would be intrested of maybe buying: https://www.idealista.com/de/inmueble/86558687/
seems the bubble is slowly bursting and the prices for properties are falling a bit as there are so many houeses and appartements to choose from.

Last edited:
Cala vadella has a nice German community. You would forget you in Ibiza,No club posters,no banging tunes. There is a bus that goes from cala vadella to San Jose from May- October but after that it's car or taxi...
could be the reason why the calle vedella area is one of the spots where property is more or less affordable. https://www.idealista.com/de/inmueble/83166779/
i met a germany lady on the cala escondida beach who told me that there is also a german community in cala coral, of course i went to check out the area which i actually liked.

i think most of the locals dont have big salaries, for instance the taxi drivers dont make that much cash so they have to have two or more jobs to survive, i also spoke to a guy who works for a rental car company near the airport and he told me that they dont get paid much either, dunno how it is working in a hospital, for the city of ibiza or in the restauarant trade?
what i seen is that the house price are fallng and they do reduce prices, like the one house i would be intrested of maybe buying: https://www.idealista.com/de/inmueble/86558687/
seems the bubble is slowly bursting and the prices for properties are falling a bit as there are so many houeses and appartements to choose from.

They have big probs to find people who want to work in Ibz. Police or officials dont want to go there because the living costs.
But in earlier days ( 60s ) Ibiza was really poor. Poor means poor ...

They have big probs to find people who want to work in Ibz. Police or officials dont want to go there because the living costs.
But in earlier days ( 60s ) Ibiza was really poor. Poor means poor ...
yes true that ibiza was once poor, that is oftern well documented in all them documentries and films about ibizas past. while some landowners cashed in, others like the middle and working class who didnt own land/property never where able to profit from it. wonder how much a spanish cop gets paid?

Back