Far away holidays...

Beckiboo

Advice from all you well travelled peeps...

My friend is looking for a holiday in June this year (she hates clubbing otherwise I'd drag her to Ibiza lol). She wants to go somewhere far away-ish like Domincan Republic, Barbados etc etc. Just something a bit more exotic than Europe. The thing is she's worried about going at the end of June - are these the rainy seasons for them typ of far away countries?

Does anyone have any good non-European holiday destinations that will be guaranteed sunshine at the end of June?

Thanks!

Has she thought of Dubai?

I suppose not as cultural as the places you mentioned, though interesting, and also dirt cheap from what I've heard.

Though I couldbe thinking of Abu Dhabi?!

Jamaica was pants - nothing like I imagined it would be.

Hawaii was heaven - beautiful place, beautiful people, a hell of a lot of things to do depending on what Island you go to.

The Maldives are wonderful too but you may be hitting the rainy season now - I believe best time to visit there is end of June onwards - but the temp is constant between 28-32 all year round..... apparently the smaller islands are exquisite if you dont want a lot of nightlife.... just a bar and restaurant.

If you fancy something a bit more then do a 2 centre holiday Sri Lanka and then the Maldives for a chill.....

Dan x said:
Has she thought of Dubai?

I suppose not as cultural as the places you mentioned, though interesting, and also dirt cheap from what I've heard.

Though I couldbe thinking of Abu Dhabi?!

dubai at the end of june? are you serious?
well i wouldn't do it - first of all, i think dubai is quite expensive. second, by end of june you have temperatures of easily 45°celsius during the daytime...
dubai is best during spring or in autumn (sept-oct) when temperatures are a bit lower!

@becki: a lot (but not all!) of the destinations on the equatorial region have raintime during our summer. which means the carribean in general and also a big part of the asian destinations have their "wet time" during this period. but this doesn't mean you (err, your friend) can't go there. the possibility of rain is just higher - but of course it will stay warm!

Death Valley in Arizona guarantee's all year round sunshine.

:twisted:

On a serious note - what about Goa'esque type locations or perhaps the real Bora Bora/Tahiti?

dubai at the end of june? are you serious?
well i wouldn't do it - first of all, i think dubai is quite expensive. second, by end of june you have temperatures of easily 45°celsius during the daytime...
dubai is best during spring or in autumn (sept-oct) when temperatures are a bit lowe

Yeah totally agree actually. I lived in Dubai in the 80's and we always used to come home for a month in the summer to escape the heat. Temperatures nearing 50 Degrees C were not uncommon!

nostrum said:
@becki: a lot (but not all!) of the destinations on the equatorial region have raintime during our summer. which means the carribean in general and also a big part of the asian destinations have their "wet time" during this period. but this doesn't mean you (err, your friend) can't go there. the possibility of rain is just higher - but of course it will stay warm!

I would agree - we went to Grenada in August a few years ago, and apart from one morning where there was a big downpour all we got was 10 minutes of rain every so often- it wasn't a problem at all, and in fact we found it quite refreshing because its so hot.

It's the rainy season in a number of Eastern destinations at that time.

How about Morocco in Northern Africa?

You could do a dual location holiday such as three days in Marrakesh - Amazing place, fantastic shopping and cuisine (my wife bankrupts me when she goes) great nightlife - some of the most stunning nightspots ever - Jah Mahal, Le Comptoir, La Mamounia, (there's also a new opulent Pacha there)

Then a few days at Essouria which is on the coast.

Plus it's only 3 hours flight from London.

I'm going again in August for four nights and it's going to be about high 30's / 40 degree heat!

I've got a four night deal in a four star hotel for 800 pound including flights from Newcastle. If I could have flow from Gatwick it would have been £600.

However you can spend a hell of a lot more / less if you want to.

80% of the worlds tower cranes are in Dubai at the moment, it's looking like benidorm :eek:

Most of the tropics are in rainy season from around June - Sept, however this isnt to say that it isnt warm or sunny, in fact its slightly warmer, it just rains more, but it's hot rain, and the storms are short & sweet...and a bit windy ;)

depending on where you go in Japan, the rainy season come at different times of year..

if you get down to the southern okinawan islands like Ishigaki, Iriomote and takitomi, there is definitely some stunnign scenery to be had..The main Okinawan island, Naha, is ok, but a bit more commercial

I think japan is an interesting place to live, but not very good at catering to tourists.. and one of the most backward technologicaly places I have ever lived in. if you get out in to the country and hire a car, there are some great places to see.

What do you consider exotic? They may not be as hot as during their peak season, but there are plenty of places in South America i would consider going at the end of June... or maybe India.

I agree, morocoo, is a great destination! very easy to travel around and you get such a variety, youn hike up jebel toubkal, spend time in the desert, eat and eat in the food stands in marakesh and go to the seaside too!

i'd love to go to Cuba, but wouldn't want to go on a package/ stay in some resort type of place if i went there

I think japan is an interesting place to live, but not very good at catering to tourists.. and one of the most backward technologicaly places I have ever lived in. if you get out in to the country and hire a car, there are some great places to see.

Backwards technologically? Yeah?

I thought it was the most advanced in the world?

Back