Even As a Plastic I Can't Help But Laugh

i love how robbie keane said words to the effect of "i bet platini is made up france went through".

:lol::lol::lol:

but obviously gutted they're (we're) knocked out.

world cup will be less colourful for it. (or any other cliché relating to ireland being crap but their fans being good craic)

but obviously gutted they're (we're) knocked out.

world cup will be less colourful for it. (or any other cliché relating to ireland being crap but their fans being good craic)

Yeah, it's a summer half ruined round my way.

Yeah, it's a summer half ruined round my way.
Similar for me with the Russians out.
Although part of me thinks it's probably good... less nationalistic bullcrap to listen to.
And now I can focus on the traditional US performance - tenacious but eventually fruitless :lol:

Taken from fifa website:

Europe: 53 squads; 13 teams qualified

Africa: 53 squads; 5 teams qualified, including host country.

Coupe de merde instead of coupe du monde.

World cup of injustice.

Taken from fifa website:

World cup of injustice.
Well, that ignores the history of the sport though, doesn't it? It started in Europe.

The early World Cups were played with only teams from Europe and the Americas. South America still gets 4.5 slots for something like 10 countries!

As the sport grew to other countries and continents, so did the pool. The allocation of spots to the various federations also hinges on the performance of each continent's teams. Eventually, as teams from other continents do better, FIFA should grant them more places....

I stress the word should, because the money involved in having Europe involved probably slows down that process.

Taken from fifa website:

World cup of injustice.

i totally disagree with this. i think more european teams should play in the finals.

i'm all for it being a world thing, but giving continents a more equal share for reasons not based on footballing ability doesn't fly for me.

for me it should always be about having the best teams there on merit and quality, not being fair to africa or the carribean and letting the reggae boys play and get trounced whilst decent european teams sit at home twiddling their thumbs.

everyone knows the rules before they set out to qualify for sure, but finishing second/third in a group in europe is a massive achievement.

some of the african qualifications are a joke, no competition whatsoever to qualify. moreover, of the eventual qualifiers, there are only maybe 2 or 3 who miss out who were ever in with a shot in the first place.

in europe, there are 10-15 teams who could quite conceivably qualify but eventually miss out. so the balance is unfairly skewed IMO.

on qualification
its a scandal that nations such as Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Scotland :rolleyes: etc miss out

whilst New Zealand go there after topping a qualifying section that consisted of Tongo, Fiji and the statues on Easter Island

on the Irish going out
2 foreign nations and neither was playing England :lol:
so i didn't really care

but i'd rather see Ribery, Anelka, Evra etc there

I think the balance is probably about right now... except maybe (and it pains me to say it) one too many teams from CONCACAF.

And something has to be done about Oceania... I suppose you can't get any lower than 0.5 berths but come on... New Zealand?

You have to balance the need to support the sport worldwide with the desire to produce the best tournament. But, as noted, I think FIFA has gone far enough on that front.

I think the balance is probably about right now... except maybe (and it pains me to say it) one too many teams from CONCACAF.

And something has to be done about Oceania... I suppose you can't get any lower than 0.5 berths but come on... New Zealand?

You have to balance the need to support the sport worldwide with the desire to produce the best tournament. But, as noted, I think FIFA has gone far enough on that front.

i would move Oceania into an Asian qualifying section

but i would also split Asia into 2 geographical groups

Middle East -> India

The "Orient" + Oceania

I thought about that too, but that's up to the Asian Confederation to decide, isn't it? Not FIFA's call.

I suppose they could force the issue. Say "sorry, we're not giving you any berths" and make them go beg the AFC for entry.

I think the current situation is just about right. Yes there are European teams missing out that should be there, but having said that I dont want to see another Euros Championship.
The variety of teams in the world cup is what makes it so special.

As for Thierry Henry, I'm very upset... that might have just prevented Barca of having any chance to sell him to any team in the Premiership.

basically i think it should be kept competitive at every level and that be fair throughout.

finishing second in your group in europe (to one of the best teams in the world) and then narrowly missing qualifying in a play off, is so much of an achievement than america or mexico or honduras having to finish top 3 in a group of 6, which contains as well trinidad, costa rica and el salvador......all nations that are an embarrassment when they've competed before at world cup finals levels.

it's imbalanced against europe.

Back