Es Vedra - my story & Lost...

Taylor Lee

Heres a story about ibiza and what i experienced from people on the island over the last two years and a strange theory relating to lost.

When i was in ibiza two years ago i went looking for a place called Es Vedra which is a large rock that stands out of the sea just off the south east coast (many of you will have seen this before) anyway on my way there in a taxi you go past this mountain with some sort of telecommunication thing that you can see with a bright red light ontop!

Well, years ago she was telling me a plane crashed into that mountain (1972) killing 104 people! I found this interesting and she carried on chatting to me about it!
When we got to cala d` Hort where you can see Es Vedra i was amazed to see this massive rock and we stay on the beach for that day!

Anyway i went back to ibiza this year and again i was in a taxi we were coming back from Playa Den bossa on the east coast and were driving back to san an.
Far away in the distance i could see the bright red light ontop of that mountain and i mealy said to the taxi driver "a plane crashed there didn't it" He was very suprised and asked me how i knew so i told him i got told about the crash last year!
He went over the story again and it matched the other women's story from last year, then he went on to tell me about the crash telling me that Es Vedra had something to do with this jet plane crashing!
Apparently Es Vedra has some kind of magnetic field to it and it was this magnetic field that brought the plane down!
It was on course for Barcelona i think he said and that the planes compass was reading 5 miles away from ibiza but actually it was head on course for ibiza and the highest point (the mountain) being dark and foggy the pilot couldn't see and by the time he realised it was to late.

If any of you have seen Lost on tv you will know about that island being magnetic and how there plane crashed from that magnetic force.
I find all this very interesting so i went to goggle this plane crash in 1972 and found it difficult to find anything about it the only this i could find was this

(1972: 104 people die when an Iberian Airlines jet crashed into a mountain on the island of Ibiza.)

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events...972_141784.html

I went on to find out a few things about Es Vedra and found this......

According to Nostradamus, Ibiza Island will be the only place that’s supports human life after nuclear disaster; “Ibiza will be Earth’s final refuge after Armageddon”. He predicted that Ibiza’s peculiar prevailing wind patterns will ensure that it is be the only remaining life supporting environment left on Earth…hmmm…interesting.

The early Phoenicians believed that Ibiza Island was a magical place that had been blessed by the gods. The rich red soil is non volcanic. No animal, plant, reptile or insect capable of harming man can survive here. Nowadays, many of the locals still wear pendants containing the “sacred soil” in order to protect them from harm.

The enigmatic Island of Es Vedra rises dramatically from the waters of Cala D’Hort. Curiously, no living thing can survive on the island. It’s completely devoid of life. In times past, Carmelite priests have claimed to have recorded “mystical revelations” here, and that they have had encounters with “unearthly being surrounded by white light” while meditating there.

Nowadays fishermen still avoid the area. A strong magnetic force is said to emanate from Es Vedra, resulting in gigantic circles of light emerging from the sea and various other unexplained phenomena…

One thing's for the sure, Ibiza has a strange magnetism for attracting creative talent from all over the globe. It has an extremely high concentration of international talent for such a tiny island. People find inspiration and fulfilment from the “Ibicenco way of life” - a simple natural alternative to modern stressful living. Everything is “Tranquillo”. A word used to mean finding inner peace and harmony with nature.

Heres the site i got this info from
http://ibiza.costasur.com/en/misterioso-ibiza.html

I wonder if the lost theory is based on some of these things?
Anyway thanks for taking time to read!

If you know anymore interesting facts on ibiza or Es Vedra feel free to add what you know!

The Ibiza Spotlight website and forums have had loads of discussion about Es Vedra and all it's folklore. For one thing, I think that line about no life on Es Vedra is incorrect as, if I'm not mistaken, there are some goats and rats out there.

Still, very good of you to share your research.

Fascinating about the plane crash.... has JJ Abrams been to Ibiza? :?: :lol: The crash happened the year I was born as well :eek:

I've gotten totally engrossed in Lost lately. I'm a third of the way through season 2 and I am hooked. Top-drawer television.

Yeah ive seen goats on es vedra myself so that line isnt so true! But still its just something i found interesting i thought id share !:)

the plane was carrying a football team and supporters back from a match. there is a monument on sa talaia in memory of them.

A really interesting post!

I'm sure we circled over Es Vedra on our departure flight.

It was also pointed out to me by a taxi driver (the fountains of all knowledge) the minarets on a nearby hill to Es Vedra where some rich arabs had built there own mosque at their large properties.

Wicked post, really interesting...

There's a book with loads of Ibiza history in called "The White Island" by Stephen Armstrong if you like that sort of stuff, it cover's a few clubs like pacha and space and other places round the island...

there is a monument on sa talaia in memory of them.
the place where the plane crashed, and where there is a chapel, is called ses roques altes (the high rocks in ibicenco):

2vrzmz8.jpg
2poyz9e.jpg
2hrh2rs.jpg
april 17th 2003

btw, what you see in the altar are rests of the crashed plane.....

I was told that Ibiza's airport was actually relatively difficult to land on due to the magentisim/ freak winds on the islands...

is this a load of rubbish or is there any truth in it?

intresting post by the way.

Some things I have heard about es vedra:

Es Vedra is the second most magnetic place on earth.

Es Vedra is the island Homer's Sirens live on in the Oddessey (could be some ancient folklore / myth connected with / to explain it's magnetic field?)

the place where the plane crashed,
and where there is a chapel,
is called ses roques altes (the high rocks in ibicenco):

2vrzmz8.jpg
2poyz9e.jpg
2hrh2rs.jpg
april 17th 2003

btw, what you see in the altar are rests of the crashed plane.....

ibiza - mystical island:

"...
Fog Delays

The Airport Authorities were forced to cancel five flights from Ibiza last Monday
due to dense fog. The problem began as the mist descended
in the early hours of the morning ... the fog returned half an hour later to ensure
further delays ...
8f0zoqo.gif
8f0zoqo.gif
8f0zoqo.gif

THE FOG eerily CAME ON THE 36th ANNIVERSARY OF THE biggest AIR CRASH
witnessed on the island, which was also caused by fog,
and remains to this day the most tragic aeroplane crash witnessed on Spanish soil.

On 7th January 1972 an Iberia "Caravelle" plane destined first for Valencia
and then Madrid crashed in to the Sa Talaia hills in San Jose,
at an altitude of just 301 metres,
ten minutes after take-off killing 104 people.
Dense fog was blamed for the accident.
..."
(ibiza-sun)

ses roques altes, february 8th:

s5b912.jpg

21l2ux0.jpg

2a6m2yc.jpg

t8vhg8.jpg

2j0js06.jpg

65ojv5.jpg

on a curious note, the rests of the crashed plane collected by the hunters are now on the floor at the right of the chapel.....

Heres a story about ibiza and what i experienced from people on the island over the last two years and a strange theory relating to lost.

When i was in ibiza two years ago i went looking for a place called Es Vedra which is a large rock that stands out of the sea just off the south east coast (many of you will have seen this before) anyway on my way there in a taxi you go past this mountain with some sort of telecommunication thing that you can see with a bright red light ontop!

Well, years ago she was telling me a plane crashed into that mountain (1972) killing 104 people! I found this interesting and she carried on chatting to me about it!
When we got to cala d` Hort where you can see Es Vedra i was amazed to see this massive rock and we stay on the beach for that day!

Anyway i went back to ibiza this year and again i was in a taxi we were coming back from Playa Den bossa on the east coast and were driving back to san an.
Far away in the distance i could see the bright red light ontop of that mountain and i mealy said to the taxi driver "a plane crashed there didn't it" He was very suprised and asked me how i knew so i told him i got told about the crash last year!
He went over the story again and it matched the other women's story from last year, then he went on to tell me about the crash telling me that Es Vedra had something to do with this jet plane crashing!
Apparently Es Vedra has some kind of magnetic field to it and it was this magnetic field that brought the plane down!
It was on course for Barcelona i think he said and that the planes compass was reading 5 miles away from ibiza but actually it was head on course for ibiza and the highest point (the mountain) being dark and foggy the pilot couldn't see and by the time he realised it was to late.

If any of you have seen Lost on tv you will know about that island being magnetic and how there plane crashed from that magnetic force.
I find all this very interesting so i went to goggle this plane crash in 1972 and found it difficult to find anything about it the only this i could find was this

(1972: 104 people die when an Iberian Airlines jet crashed into a mountain on the island of Ibiza.)

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events...972_141784.html

I went on to find out a few things about Es Vedra and found this......

According to Nostradamus, Ibiza Island will be the only place that’s supports human life after nuclear disaster; “Ibiza will be Earth’s final refuge after Armageddon”. He predicted that Ibiza’s peculiar prevailing wind patterns will ensure that it is be the only remaining life supporting environment left on Earth…hmmm…interesting.

The early Phoenicians believed that Ibiza Island was a magical place that had been blessed by the gods. The rich red soil is non volcanic. No animal, plant, reptile or insect capable of harming man can survive here. Nowadays, many of the locals still wear pendants containing the “sacred soil” in order to protect them from harm.

The enigmatic Island of Es Vedra rises dramatically from the waters of Cala D’Hort. Curiously, no living thing can survive on the island. It’s completely devoid of life. In times past, Carmelite priests have claimed to have recorded “mystical revelations” here, and that they have had encounters with “unearthly being surrounded by white light” while meditating there.

Nowadays fishermen still avoid the area. A strong magnetic force is said to emanate from Es Vedra, resulting in gigantic circles of light emerging from the sea and various other unexplained phenomena…

One thing's for the sure, Ibiza has a strange magnetism for attracting creative talent from all over the globe. It has an extremely high concentration of international talent for such a tiny island. People find inspiration and fulfilment from the “Ibicenco way of life” - a simple natural alternative to modern stressful living. Everything is “Tranquillo”. A word used to mean finding inner peace and harmony with nature.

Heres the site i got this info from
http://ibiza.costasur.com/en/misterioso-ibiza.html

I wonder if the lost theory is based on some of these things?
Anyway thanks for taking time to read!

If you know anymore interesting facts on ibiza or Es Vedra feel free to add what you know!

this is great! im a die hard lost fan! must go there for a gander when im there in june! most interesting thank you!

There is defo goats on Es Vedra..

And it is the 3rd most magnetic place on earth after the North and South Pole.

Think the red satalite post thingy that people are discussing is Sa Talia which i believe to be the highest point in Ibiza.

Iv bin up there a few times but i cant recall being able to see Es Vedra from there...

Thanks for a VERY interesting post.

I only found out about Es Vedra on the last day of my holiday in 2002, whilst waiting for the airport transfere bus.

Since that day it's been one of my ambitions to return to the Island, and visit, (or at least see) Es Vedra, i'm planning on going to the raised rock platform that was used for filming on Ibiza 2008 (Living) and in 'It's All Gone Pete Tong'. It's 1 of my 99 things to do before i die.

Its true about the magnetic field surrounding Es Vedra, it's magnetism is second only to the magnetic north pole, it's said to affect the compass bearings of passing planes and ships.

Thanks again

Tony

Guess i should chip in with my Es Vedra experience.

Last time I was in Ibiza I hired a car and using directions I found on this forum I set of for the look-out tower. After getting lost up some very small and rocky roads I eventually found the right place to park. I was very hungover but it was worth every minute of the climb up the hill through the bushes.

This picture is from inside the tower looking out to Es Vedra but the real highlight was being on top of the tower. The views to Es Vedra and are phoenominal. I had the whole tower to myself and I sat up there for half an hour before anyone else came.

This is a place I'll visit before any club next time I go to Ibiza.

Back