Enslaved by K

dancemaster

I first took ketamine in 2002, between my second and third years at university. I was mourning the end of a long-term relationship with a massive bender. It was a weekday afternoon and I was necking ecstasy and playing pool when a mate asked me if I'd ever tried "K".We didn't even finish the game. We went back to my flat and it was love at first snort.
One of the problems with K is trying to explain what a "K-hole" is like. Nothing can prepare you for the chaos. All you can say is that it is really weird, but until you have taken it, even the most drug-fried mind can't comprehend what "weird" can mean. Most people hate it; it's just too much. Many are sick because of a sort of mental travel sickness. But I didn't throw up: I adored it.
The K-hole has been described as an endless dimension to explore, and that's exactly what it is. Space, time and language either have no meaning or become ridiculously distorted. It can seem as if you are travelling through time or seeing into the future, as if you are living multiple lives or not living at all. And you feel something coming, something huge with you at the centre, because there is a massive messiah complex in there as well.I have been at one with the cosmos, communicated with the universal forces that are our true gods, and been told that death should be embraced as the next level of everything. All complete bollocks, of course, but I never got that from a wrap of coke.
For a little while I had my ketamine use under control and found it therapeutic.
K - which was originally developed as an anaesthetic and is still used to treat animals and occasionally humans - did wonders for my ego. I lost my sense of shame and fear of death, I felt liberated. I got an unexpected first at uni, I was writing book reviews for a national magazine, and I had a new, beautiful girlfriend. I hung out with fellow K-heads, or "wrong 'uns", as we were known to other druggies, whose company I loved. I felt part of something and life was good, but all the time I was using more and more K.
It is the tolerance that gets you. When you start, a gram might see you through three or four nights out. Before long it will be enough for only a few hours and, sooner or later, you start using it at home. I started selling it to pay for my habit.
Today, ketamine is a class-C drug, on a level with cannabis, but until a few years ago it was regulated only by the Medicines Act, and although it was still illegal to deal in it, the police took less of an interest. I used to buy it in liquid form and then cook it in a pan or microwave to create powder. The liquid came from India, often disguised as rose water. Someone would have it posted to their house and I would buy a litre from them for £300. That litre would turn into 50 grams, which I sold for £15 or £20 a gram. It never felt like a risk, at least as far as the police were concerned. But I couldn't have that much K around me without doing it, all the time.
If I wasn't at work - I had become a chef after leaving university - I was taking K.
I would take a gram during the break in my split shift. I would get home and sniff three grams in front of the television, and then take another three to bed with me. I had a line before work, not knowing if I had slept. And I was starting to get ill. I have always liked drink and drugs but, other than tobacco, I had never been truly addicted to anything before. I never used heroin or crack, and could tell when any substance was becoming a problem. I usually just got bored of something and moved on - but not this time. K may not be physically addictive, but it is compulsively psychologically addictive.
I stopped dealing when my girlfriend asked me to, hoping that this would help, but I was too far gone. I still did as much, but I started to hide it from her.
After about two years of using ketamine, I was spending more and more time in the toilet, and urinating was beginning to hurt.
I developed a stoop because my penis was always burning. One day, on a train, I had my first cramp attack; I thought my lung had collapsed. I went to a doctor, who told me to stop taking K or I would die, but then an older user told me not to worry, it was "just K cramps". He said that they wouldn't kill me, but I might wish that they would. Apparently they could last for days.
I still didn't stop. The cramps got worse, the blood and mucus began to appear frequently in my urine and I had to pee every 20 minutes. I lied more than I told the truth, particularly to my girlfriend, and I hated myself. I couldn't stand to be around myself and wanted to cause myself harm. K worked on both fronts.
I stopped going out because my friends didn't want to see me like that, I quit my job because I was in too much pain to work, and I lost the review gig because I could no longer read a book. I fell further into debt.
By the time I realised that ketamine was ruining my life, I no longer cared. I didn't want to die as such; I just didn't mind if I did. My girlfriend couldn't save me. She begged me to leave the west country town where I was living, surrounded by other K-heads, and move back to Devon, where I had grown up.
I told her I would, but I was lying. I didn't want to give up. I was positive I was going to die whether I did or not.
One evening, about a year ago, when I was supposed to be watching a friend's band play at our local, I found myself naked, writhing on my kitchen floor, racked with abdominal cramps and self-loathing, and praying.
Praying to a God I don't believe in to show Himself, to intervene, to give me something to believe in other than ketamine, and the certainty that my life was over. He didn't, but when the pain subsided, the relief was almost like a drug in itself.
In the end change was forced on me. A local street gang had tried to break into my flat on several occasions. They held a knife to my flatmate's throat as he left for work. We managed to fight them off, but I could hardly walk by then and weighed nine stone. It was the street or home. I called my mum.
Once back home, I could barely sleep and suffered from night terrors and sleep paralysis. I started to smoke cannabis, scored black-market codeine and Valium. And I kept begging my K dealers to send me some. I offered them silly money, but they still said no, because they truly were worried about me. Later, when I did find another source of K, I used the bare minimum to get me through the craving.
So here I am, living on my mum's settee. I've got my health back but lost everything else, including my girlfriend. She had lost all trust, and in the end she realised she would be glad to see the back of me.
Do I think that ketamine should be higher than its class-C listing? No, but people should know what they are dealing with. By the time I did, it was too late. There is so much media coverage of illegal drugs, yet K is rarely mentioned, although it is everywhere and spreading fast. Most people who try it won't develop any major problems, but a minority of users get very sick. A friend of mine lost so much control over his bladder that he had to have a catheter fitted when he was 21, and there are going to be a lot more cases like this. He didn't know it was addictive either.
The one bright spot in all this is that the human body has amazing powers of recovery. If there is any addict of any substance reading this who thinks that they have destroyed their body beyond hope, you might be surprised what happens if you give it a break. Within a month of moving home, I got a job as a builder. I even pee like a normal person. Do I drink too much and smoke too much pot now? Yep. Do I still crave K when I'm down or depressed? Sometimes. Do I ever give in to those temptations? Never. Am I still a liar? Of course not, darlin', I promise.

source:The Guardian

The cramps got worse, the blood and mucus began to appear frequently in my urine and I had to pee every 20 minutes.

This is a serious issue and has brought painfull flashbacks to me of a recent traumatic incident.

The exact same thing happened to my girlfriend only a few weeks ago.

I was considering contacting the Guardian myself. However, (thankfully), upon sending her to hospital in a taxi and telling her I was fed up with her whining, I found out she was just giving birth.

I did it once by accident about 10 years ago when, among a large group of friends, the "lines" got mixed up. Horrible experience.

This is a serious issue and has brought painfull flashbacks to me of a recent traumatic incident.

The exact same thing happened to my girlfriend only a few weeks ago.

I was considering contacting the Guardian myself. However, (thankfully), upon sending her to hospital in a taxi and telling her I was fed up with her whining, I found out she was just giving birth.

:lol:

:lol: :lol: at the above.

Still not a fan. $hit drug.

K holes aren't mind opening, they close you down.

Cheap smack for those running away from life imo.

:lol: :lol: at the above.

Still not a fan. $hit drug.

K holes aren't mind opening, they close you down.

Cheap smack for those running away from life imo.

The most insular drug I have ever had the misfortune of taking (by mistake!) not by choice...

Sounds way too freaky for my tastes and I have a rubbish enough bladder as it is.

What about MXE (legal K analogue) a.k.a roflcoptr? Looks like it could be the 1st drug to have a temporary ban, while they work on banning it properly.

Must say, being only a recent returner to the forum, I started reading this thinking it was the experiences of a forum user. When I saw it was from the Guardian, I realised why it was such a shocking story.

I do like reading these drugs stories though. Good and bad. This one is pretty scary in places. Have never done K myself. From what I've read it doesn't sound the kind of thing I would ever get into. I mean, it's well documented that it's used for pain relief in animals. Can't say the idea of being tranquilized on a night out appeals at all.

I'm a big advoate for the idea that these things effect us all in vastly different ways. What works (and is harmless) for one person can be utterly deverstating for someone else. But we have that with alcohol.

Must say, being only a recent returner to the forum, I started reading this thinking it was the experiences of a forum user. When I saw it was from the Guardian, I realised why it was such a shocking story.

I do like reading these drugs stories though. Good and bad. This one is pretty scary in places. Have never done K myself. From what I've read it doesn't sound the kind of thing I would ever get into. I mean, it's well documented that it's used for pain relief in animals. Can't say the idea of being tranquilized on a night out appeals at all.

I'm a big advoate for the idea that these things effect us all in vastly different ways. What works (and is harmless) for one person can be utterly deverstating for someone else. But we have that with alcohol.

My advice is NEVER do it Phil. I partied on Ket for a good few months when I was in Uni and my experiences got more and more terrifying the more I did it.

One of the worse was when I'd been up all night at a house party and then the ket was wheeled out. I had a massive line and started feeling like something wasn't right. I felt like I was some kind of envelope being folded up into a smaller and smaller package until there would be nothing of me left. I had to grab my mates hands so I wouldn't get turned into some kind of human origami experiment. I'll never forget clutching the coffee table for hours.

Just say neigh.

I'm an occasional drug taker of coke and mdma but I find the concept of Ketamin disgusting. Everything about where it comes from and the way people behave when on it makes me feel a bit sick! I tried it once out of curiosity and just didnt enjoy the experience. I find it antisocial and would much rather be dancing and chatting away than monging around in a dark room with a bunch of weirdos!

My advice is NEVER do it Phil. I partied on Ket for a good few months when I was in Uni and my experiences got more and more terrifying the more I did it.

One of the worse was when I'd been up all night at a house party and then the ket was wheeled out. I had a massive line and started feeling like something wasn't right. I felt like I was some kind of envelope being folded up into a smaller and smaller package until there would be nothing of me left. I had to grab my mates hands so I wouldn't get turned into some kind of human origami experiment. I'll never forget clutching the coffee table for hours.

Just say neigh.

so, you were mashedandnotlovingit at that period of your life then?

It's been kicking around the party scene for a very long time - at least 16 years I am 100% certain of that. Originally experimentally pressed unannounced into certain ingestibles too .. memorably turning a '90s Hogmanay celebration into a scene from Shaun of the Dead. Didn't take anyone with any nouse long to work out a horrible mistake had occurred and something was very very wrong indeed.

About as 'reputable' as crack and heroin even then, so always astonished me when its use soared. Very sad thing for the clubbing scene for many years. Be glad to see the back of it from the clubbing circuit, especially from after-parties. Hard to have fun around a bunch of junkie corpses !

It's been kicking around the party scene for a very long time - at least 16 years I am 100% certain of that.

I think there were references to it on the Chem's 'Dig Your Own Hole' album (~1996).

I read it could be legally manufactured in India (and this supplied UK), but manufacturing is now being restricted (or banned) there, so good chance it'll disappear or at least become harder to find.

I read it could be legally manufactured in India (and this supplied UK), but manufacturing is now being restricted (or banned) there, so good chance it'll disappear or at least become harder to find.

They won't want to sell it there either - all too busy boshing cobra venom :lol:

Back