Electronic music, is it dying?

moudire

This is really an honor to communicate with you guys. You know what good life is all about. 8). You make Ibiza so great.
I've followed electronic music since its real inception in the late 80's. Since then, it hasn't stopped amazing me :eek: . However, recently I felt that my music is dying; creativity is decreasing among our producers, the americans are dropping it :x . Are my fears realistic?

Nice to hear from you moudire. Personally, I don't think electronic/dance music is dying, I just don't think that it's "in your face" as it was say 4 or 5 years ago. Tastes change. One minute dance is the biggest cash cow around and then the next it takes a back seat, whilst every other sound seems to be either manufactured pop or rap/metal.

I think thisn't always a bad thing as it reduces the chance of record companies churning out crap records by the bucket load as has happened before. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dance records released over the past year, not only original release but their mixed counterparts too.

All in all, dance hasn't died it's just living slightly underground for a while and frankly that's where I'd like it to remain for a good time to come. There are too many people like the members of this board to let such a thing happen. We've been raised on dance, weaned on it, it's in our blood.....

Hi,

I believe dance music has evolved emourously over the past years, sometimes to much.
The tracks you hear in the charts yes they are predictable, they are all the same, and to be honest i think they are a disgrace to the dance industry, i'm talking bout the commercial 'trance', if you take notice of the charts then it does look like all electronic music is the same....

In actually fact reality is very different, new trends are re-appearing, like breaks...more diverse tracks are beeing produced in the bedrooms and small record labels.

You look at a good djs record box and there maybe many different types of genres, and new music is being showcased, you just have to look for it.....

Rob

No,

I agree moudire.

There are only so many harmonies and chords. Mozart and the rest had already discovered all of them 100s of years ago.

The only thing which has changed has been man's own way of reproducing these harmonies and chords.

First of all acoustic, then electric and now digital. Indeed the use of the pc has now exhausted all possible ways of playing notes and songs. There has been nothing stunningly new on the dance front for 5 or 6 years now.

I give you Leftism and its brilliance as a prime example in the way in which dance music has NOT developped at all in recent years....

[cat among the pigeons] :D

I think some influences come from where you live. I have heard many styles of music but in this valley near where i live, there are many djs just in this little valley and they play some of the best deep house/trance and breaks i have ever heard. Its a style unique of their own and i could never say that it will die because it part of the valley lifestyle. Pretty cool i think! 8)

As long as folk still take pills, there will still be a market for bleepy music.

Humans hve been getting into states of bliss and dancing to repetitive beats since the dawn of time.
It began in Afrika-ka-ka-ka-ka

there seems to be no reason to suggest that this state of affairs will not continue

Amerika hmmmmmmm........

I differ with the opinion that america is going limp on technical music....
Take for example when a friend of mine from Nottingham, England visited a few months back: we were driving in my van equiped with 600 watts of bandpass subs thumping down the road to BT/PVD/Tiesto with new found friends in their early 20's. They simply loved it! We were all energized by the beats and uplifting melodies. We pull into the driveway of my nephew's house (19) and he emerges smiling and asks me to crank it up and open both side doors. He offered me to play one of his trance CD's which he carried in a book of 400.
I think america has so many different ecologies of music, adopted by so many varied locals, that to put a finger on what "america" embraces is really quite impossible. All I know is: this 40 something sat with my m8 from Nottingham (30's), my friend from North Carolina (20's) and my nephew (teen) and did some foot stompin partying all evening long.
"Oh S**** listen to this!"
:lol:

Well, I can't believe I just found this post because I was just feeling the same way. I started going to parties about 6 years ago. I know by no means was I involved or a part of the very beginnings, but when I first started going there was a sense of purity and a real underground feel to parties and the music. As the years have past I have really been losing my belief and will in going out. The music doesn't seem as good (DJ's don't seem to put as much effort into technique and skill and they seem to be up there to be seen instead of to be heard). Now I am not saying all of tthe DJ's out there, but some! Same goes for the people!

As many of you know from reading some of my posts, I live in San Diego California and the club scene sucks down here due to the superficial attitude floating around. Well, I just got back from San Francisco California ( a place that has ever since I could remember was a wonderfully grounded and nice clubing community). Well, after visiting SF this time I realized that the club scene has lost it's luster and that society in general has lost it's way. What I mean is that the electronic music community even in the places that I never thought could be tainted have been. Why you say? Because there are toooooooooooo many lost clueless people in the world with no knowledge of substance and meaning that they just jump on the band wagon and destroy everything that had meaning and that had substance and it gets tainted and ruins it for those who once believed.

I guess that my trip to San Francisco was a good one. I had a nice time despite the idiots who were there, but there are idiots everywhwere in the world. I learned a good leason that all things come to an end of sorts. That the American society is soooooooooooooo FUC?ED that there is no chance for repair. So many clueless, cell phone riden mindless people out there that ofcourse they are going to latch onto electronic music and ruin it. It was only a matter of time! Oh, and no doubt that America will be the downfall of the music. There are very talented musicans in the USA. Knowledgeable musicains indeed, but our society has such messed up values about what life is about (ie: money, cars, status, on the go 24/7) that ofcourse you are going to get a less creative type feel eventually because sooooo many are blindsided by the wrong things and bring that into the music. I hate to say these things about my country, but I really feel this way. I love my country, but I don't blame the world for hating us at times!

For gods sake how many TV commercials are there out there now with turntables on them? I' ll tell you, a whole damn lot. A Pop Tart commercial, a Planters Peanut commercial, a Lens Crafters commercial and last but certainly not least, A TAMPAX TAMPON COMMERCIAL. Yes, that's right a tampon commercial! When I saw that I was about 2 seconds away from chucking my DJ equipment out in the garbage can. I then realized that I loved the music too much to do that and that I would try to stick through the hard times!

As far as quality of the music, I feel it has evolved in a way most definately. Some have evolved for the better some have not. However, I do a lot of record shopping and I must say that I have found the quality of vinyl out there these days has gone down in quality. I used to be able to go out and find loads of stuff, but now I am lucky if I find 2 or 3 good records out of hundreds that I listen to. Maybe it is just a dry spell?!?!?

I am sorry to babble on so, but I had to add my thoughts because I know that there has to be others out there that see what I am seeing. I love the music and I always will. I hope that that these idiots go away someday. I will ALWAYS, ALWAYS love the music. :D I will continue to spin records and I will continue to have house parties and enjoy my music with my friends and an occasional CD or two. However, I have in a given up on going out. I will still travel thousands of miles to go to Ibiza and I will go out here in SD once or twice a year to see a really good DJ, but I feel that my days of consistent clubbing are over! I am sorry to say these words, but I have given up in a way. I love you music! I always will! I go cry now! :cry:

DJ's don't seem to put as much effort into technique and skill and they seem to be up there to be seen instead of to be heard). Now I am not saying all of tthe DJ's out there, but some!

i agree with this, so many dj just turn up and mix a record into and out of another!!! ok there mixing might be good, but some djs do not use the EQ'S and other technical equipment, which makes there set better!!

Some DJ's just like to play out in certain clubs because of the reputation a club has built up over time. To many times have I heard supposed A List DJ's just turning up and not caring about the music they are playing or the crowd the are playing to. One DJ in particular who is world famous turned up and was playing music that was 3-4 years old. Don't get me wrong it is nice to hear old tracks but when 80% of their set is based on these tunes you wonder what you have paid your money for.

I would have to agree with robbo with regards DJ's not always using EQ's and other technical equipment as this definitley improves a lot of DJ's sets.
Although i have heard DJ's who try to use technical equipment when there Djing is not even up to standard.

Hi Shiva,

Thank you for your post. It's obvious that you love this music. I read other posts from you and you know so much about dance music.
When i said "america" is droping this music, I meant the mass. As Dr. Fox said it's not a cash cow as it used to be in the last 4 or 5 years. You sounded a bit deffensive, but the reason i mentioned the american market is because it is the largest with the highest purchasing power. If the americans stop purchasing this kinda music, then it will definitely retreat. I wouldn't like that to happen. However, I still believe that dance music in the U.S. is popular among a small niche of listeners.

Hi Moudire :)

I didn't mean to sound defensive, that is why I spelled it amerika in there somewhere. That is a small way we non-sheep americans kind of protest the status quo, the "masses".
I was reflecting what I see in my life is all. I burn cd's every week for people who are just discovering Trance. I do my best to spread the word.
This music means a lot to me because it has so much less to do with all the crap we endure and hear about humanity and more with getting on with living and rejoycing life. It is uplifting and spiritual. It makes you smile. It is Love requited and Love unrequited, but yet still searching.

Ok, I get off the soapbox now :lol:

Most of us US Ravers/Dancers are closet...but not me! :)
Peace,
marty

heh
I went back and reread my original post, it seems I edited out the K in "amerika" before I posted it.

ooops
oh well, U get the gist. :)

I think 'electronic' is too narrow a genre to put dance music in.

There is a LOT of good dance music about - it's just that people seem to listen to the same DJ's playing the same records.

I personally think there is some very good qulaity stuff coming from San Francisco at the moment -

Listen to some of the NiteLife series by DJ Garth or H-Foundation and you will see what I mean.

Also there is the MAW stuff which fuses 'electronic' music with live musicians such as jazz legend Roy Ayers.

There is also the british stuff such as Chilli Funk and Paper Recordings.

RAGIN. RAGIN. RAGIN. just wrote an oscar winning speech that took about 3 days and 4 camel rides(?) on how dance music will never die because blah blah blah, really couldnt be arsed writing it all again.
so in conclusion dance music will never die.i thinkyou..... :rolleyes:

o yeah forgot to mention it didnt go through because my computer had logged me out. damn you computer ill get you some day. :evil:

San Fran opinion

So I see some mention of San Fran here in this thread.

I'm a native resident, and I think even here in SF we are feeling like the "vibe" of the community is at a lull. It's not so much that the music is poor (I think there is still alot of great tracks emerging) but more that we're frustrated with the TV commercials (Dirty Vegas) and the mass promotion without quality (1015 Folsom, Ruby Skye are 2 clubs here that come to mind). Having been to Ibiza 3 times over the last 4 years, I definitely felt like the big clubs and main DJ's there are also over-hyped, over played, etc.

The key thing that keeps me energized here (and in Ibiza) are the surprises. In Ibiza, it's things like Jo Mills busting out Chaka Khan at high noon to the mad monday crowd at DC-10. In SF it's the tiny DJ bars where some no name gets me grooving during happy hour. The key to the scene's survival and progress are that people are willing to go to new venues, support a smaller/more intimate place sometimes. I am all for a big night at Space, but I think Ibiza and everywhere else that has a great scene needs to keep the pressure on the major clubs by patronizing the new guys on the block. Power is in your wallet, and the music will only get better by not following along!!!

San Fran opinion

I'm a native resident, and I think even here in SF we are feeling like the "vibe" of the community is at a lull. It's not so much that the music is poor (I think there is still alot of great tracks emerging) but more that we're frustrated with the TV commercials (Dirty Vegas) and the mass promotion without quality (1015 Folsom, Ruby Skye are 2 clubs here that come to mind). Having been to Ibiza 3 times over the last 4 years, I definitely felt like the big clubs and main DJ's there are also over-hyped, over played, etc.

The key thing that keeps me energized here (and in Ibiza) are the surprises. In Ibiza, it's things like Jo Mills busting out Chaka Khan at high noon to the mad monday crowd at DC-10. In SF it's the tiny DJ bars where some no name gets me grooving during happy hour. The key to the scene's survival and progress are that people are willing to go to new venues, support a smaller/more intimate place sometimes. I am all for a big night at Space, but I think Ibiza and everywhere else that has a great scene needs to keep the pressure on the major clubs by patronizing the new guys on the block. Power is in your wallet, and the music will only get better by not following along!!!

San Fran opinion

Hey Philduke!

I am soooooo happy to see someone from SF on here. The things that you said in your post are so true.

I love SF. SF has had some great parties. Amazing free parties and little DJ bars there are great. I see that you mentioned 1015 Folsom and all of it's badness these days. That is soooooo sad because there was a time years back when 1015 was amazing and had a great vibe, especially on the off nights (like Come-Unity on the first Wednesday of every month that used to be held at 1015 years back). Ofcourse Come-Unity has come to an end (it was the longest running monthly party in California 11 years I think). I never thought that would happen. Quite frustrating and sad really! Oh, and I see that Garth, Simon and others from that crew have become quite popular there.

When I visited SF this New Years I definately felt a different vibe then in years past. More of a mainstream feel with a lot more of the mindless crowd. I swear in all my years I never thought that SF would or could ever get tainted that way. No doubt that there are still some mad free parties with great new talent and cool stuff going on with cool people in SF though!

It is just soooo sad to see the SF electronic music community lose it's way a little! I hope it won't lose it's true roots like down here in San Diego. However, I am not sure that San Diego ever had any true roots to begin with! Hee! Hee! :lol:

Well anyways, I love SF and I have many great memories of some great parties with wonderful crowds that truly understood what electronic music and life is all about! I feel very fortunate to of experienced that. It's just unfortuante to see that vibe fade! :cry:

Back