'Eco Tax' in the Balearics?

Bellagio

In the English papers today there is talk of an ECO Tax of £1.50 per day being imposed on both tourists & residents of the Balearic Islands next year

Does anyone know if this is likely to happen & if so how it will be implemented.

it was years ago.and hotels or apts ened up giving you free drinks or other offers to give it you back,can not see residents begin charged

Ive read the same reports but Im not sure if the new rules have been passed yet. There used to be a green tax but it only lasted for one year before it was abolished.....around 2001 I think

*uck*ing ECO "green" tax bolloks. All a way of simply trying to extract more money from people. Can't understand why we put up with it...!

Got no problem with levying such a tax on short-stay tourists. It's usually collected via hotels, though, and this would likely be more straightforward to implement than on a person-by-person basis. Pretty much the whole of the Caribbean does a similar thing. Extending it to residents would likely be very controversial though !!

Ressies would only pay it if they stayed at a hotel... Not so controversial!

At peak season hotel prices this is a 'drop in the ocean' so don't know what all the fuss is about. Levy the tax, raise some money, use it to help pay to clear up the carnage left behind by the tourists. Boom. Seeing as occupancy rates are probably about 98% I'm pretty sure it won't damage anyone's income.

Why is that? Because of Space closing?

no. lots of areas around the coast of the mediterranean sea aren't considered very safe right now (tunisia, turkey, egypt - people are scared off because of the terrorist attacks of late). the spanish islands (balearics as well as canary island) will benefit massively because of this. not the first time this happens. in the case of ibiza, add to that the simple fact that the island is thriving, there's more happening than ever and yes, in july and august our beloved island will be fully booked and I also expect june and september to be busier than normally due to what I've explained above.

Damn man no more perfectly busy June I guess as per your description. Becuaee that's exactly what it was last year...really enjoyed the experience as a result. The prices were still good for June a month or so ago but don't know now.

I hope it's not too crazy in July and I also hope my hotel doesnt screw me over with the booking but I guess I'm being too paranoid

no. lots of areas around the coast of the mediterranean sea aren't considered very safe right now (tunisia, turkey, egypt - people are scared off because of the terrorist attacks of late). the spanish islands (balearics as well as canary island) will benefit massively because of this. not the first time this happens. in the case of ibiza, add to that the simple fact that the island is thriving, there's more happening than ever and yes, in july and august our beloved island will be fully booked and I also expect june and september to be busier than normally due to what I've explained above.
did hotel-bookings etc. via spotlight "explode" so far compared to 2015
or still more or less business as usual ?
heard scary stuff from mallorca regarding new record numbers of tourists this 2016 season ...

Mallorca has record numbers already or is going to have record numbers based on hotel bookings etc.?

did hotel-bookings etc. via spotlight "explode" so far compared to 2015
or still more or less business as usual ?
heard scary stuff from mallorca regarding new record numbers of tourists this 2016 season ...

definitely above last year's numbers. all of the balearics will have a very strong season I predict.

Back