Drug testing.

Think they are doing more now because workers are handling heavy machinery, diggers forklifts ect. All part of the considerate contractors scheme as well I think. A lot of the big company’s are trying to clean up building sites nowadays they have changed so much in recent years.

This, i totally get them wanting to test on sites BUT surely somehow there has to be a happy medium. Your case is prime example say it comes back positive (hope not) theres no way that line on Sat would effect your work on wed. Fair enough if you were tested and you had taken stuff the night before because that could effect your actions and potentially result in a dangerous situation on site.

It seems silly to me, are they breathalizing people as they go into work too, because alcohol would cause more accidents than most other drugs.

It seems silly to me, are they breathalizing people as they go into work too, because alcohol would cause more accidents than most other drugs.

See your point. Worked with plenty people who go from work to the bar every night. Some even going for a pint on breaks

This, i totally get them wanting to test on sites BUT surely somehow there has to be a happy medium. Your case is prime example say it comes back positive (hope not) theres no way that line on Sat would effect your work on wed. Fair enough if you were tested and you had taken stuff the night before because that could effect your actions and potentially result in a dangerous situation on site.
This is what I am hoping if I get a fail. The fact that I don’t operate heavy machinery ( I barely use a paint brush nowadays) will give me a fair argument to be lenient with me.
Anyway it’s D day tomorrow so I’ll let you all know the outcome.

They’ve left me hanging, Ibdont think they have received results yet. Was ready for the ‘it’s none of your business what I get up to in my spare time’ argument. Will keep you all posted.
Really appreciate everyone’s concern and advice though.

Best of luck fella, fingers crossed man!! In this day and age, What we do with our spare time at the weekends is our own f***in business!! Alcohol is the biggest problem in construction. It’s changing in Northern Europe in the bigger commercial work, but not in the small domestic building trade!! Here in Spain it’s across the board, it’s a culture. If I drink a beer at lunch the afternoon is a write off!!

Back