Dorado Live Shows @ Santos 2017

Swedish rock band Mando Diao are no strangers to this kind of performances as they recorded an unplugged album for MTV called Above And Beyond (2010).

On arrival I was surprised to find a drum kit on stage. Further inspection showed that there was instruments for all five members so we weren't going to see a two-man acoustic show, this was going to be gooood.

They started with "Down In The Past", a wink to the fans of the high energy garage rock included in their first releases, to continue with songs from their latest album Good Times (2017), the eighth in their career, like "All the Things" or "Shake", all this spiked with the biggest hits of their breakthrough album Give Me Fire! (2009), "Gloria" and "Dance With Somebody". Everyone was gagging for more but their time on stage was over.

It had all the ingredients to be remembered as one of the best gigs of the summer, I just wish they played a few more songs to make it perfect.

17 08 22 (8) - edit.jpg

Next event will take place on september 12th with instrumental surf rock band Los Coronas from Madrid supported by boogie rockers Uncle Sal from Ibizissippi. Tickets are available here.

SETLIST:
Down In The Past
All the Things
Dancing All The Way To Hell
Watch Me Now
Money
Gloria
Dance With Somebody
Shake
Good Times

21082957_1404396683001624_5724126967662053245_o.jpg

copyright_icon.gif
santos

Second time on the island for Los Coronas from Madrid, after their show at El Reencuentro three years ago presenting their excellent album Adios Sancho (2013).

The local band Uncle Sal already played at Dorado Live Shows last summer opening for Kitty, Daisy & Lewis.

Since then they released their second album You Ain't No Bluesman (2017) from which we heard "Precious One" and "R'n'R Brothers" among others, along with stuff from their previous Little Cabin Music (2015) like "Down the Line" and "Mississippi State Line" plus a cover of Neil Young's "Down By The River". Surprise of the evening came with the brand new unreleased song Soulman Sal played right at the beginning on his own.

High quality blues rock from Ibiza.

17+09+12+(2)+-+copia.jpg

17+09+12+(3)+-+copia.jpg

I first saw Los Coronas live back in 2004 in mainland Spain and the band hasn't stopped growing since. What started in 1991 as the side project of Fernando Pardo from garage rockers Sex Museum is nowadays Spain's best instrumental surf rock band with a long list of full-length albums, EPs and split albums under their belt.

Although we were all expecting it to be in acoustic format, they played fully plugged some of the old favourites, new material that will be included on their brand new album Señales De Humo to be released in two weeks (with Depedro and Miguel Campello among the special guests, who played at Sueños De Libertad last spring) and a few covers, like "Corazón Contento" (Marisol), "Paint It Black" (Rolling Stones) or "Day Tripper" (Beatles).

My favourite concert of the summer, along with Motörhead's Phil Campbell at HRH Road Trip and Royal Blood at Ibiza Rocks.

17+09+12+(4)+-+copia.jpg

17+09+12+(6)+-+copia.jpg

The final event of the season will happen on friday 6th of october but the very special guest hasn't been announced yet.

The Kiss suite at Dorado Ibiza Suites has been refurbished and is now dedicated to Loquillo. For its presentation the famous spanish singer came to the island one more time, throwing a secret concert too. Secret because, due to his popularity, it was invite-only for the Rock Nights family and there was no tickets on sale nor mention in the press.

This time he was backed only by two members of his band, the guitarists Igor Paskual and Josu García. Although he has played many times on the island in the past, we never had the chance to see him perform songs like "El rompeolas", "Feo, fuerte y formal", "Rock & roll star" or "Cadillac solitario" so up close and personal.

Afterwards off to Rock Nights at Pikes until the early hours... where else?!

17+10+06+(3)+-+copia.jpg

17+10+06+(7)+-+copia.jpg

It was an absolute luxury to have the one and only Loquillo closing this year's Dorado Live Shows. Thanks Diego, Tallyn, Jordi & co for all the hard work!

Back