Do you remember your first time?

August '87 for me. I posted about it before on here but to summarise, we sailed across from mainland with wealthy family friends who had a sailing boat. it took about 23 hours I think because they turned the engine off a few times. I threw up a lot on the crossing but it was good fun clinging on to the rope and swinging off the sail. we moored somewhere and stayed at the zodiac apartments in San An Bay (we knew the architect who built them) surrounded by some of the worst tourists on earth, mooning at strangers at the water slides there or vandalising things. there was a cool band though by our pool who did Lionel Richie and Motown covers night after night. after a couple of days I seem to recall we left again and then sailed to L'Espalmador and must have moored somewhere deep enough and then waded the rest. stunningly beautiful. travelled around a bit. vaguely remember a very flamboyant parade in the old town which was pretty eye-opening for a 12 year old! and hearing people talking about this mystical place called KU and I think my mum secretly wanted to go but it obv wasn't THAT kind of holiday. don't remember much else but we did eat well though! I guess if your first memories are as a child it's a different ballgame. an innocent world where you took everything at face value and which bears no relationship to anything now. I remember my mum and I refused to sail back to the mainland with the others and got a ferry instead. I think there was a ticker farewell (?) and people unravelling streams of toilet rolls off the side of the ship as we left. D'Alt Villa looking amazing as we left at night.

I think it’s just the classic “not like it used to be”.

No doubt the previous generation would feel something similar towards my days on the island.

Working/living there opens your eyes up to things you possibly don’t notice as a holiday maker too.

It’s mostly just me getting old and caring more I think!

very true - all the red tape, politics, taxes, social etiquette, language tensions. Reality always catches up.

That was something Jon Sa Trinxa referred to in the documentary. his philosophy is "head in the clouds but feet on the ground"

2012 was the first clubbing year for me. We were so naive looking back, we headed out down the Westend at like 7pm all eager and of course it was empty ? first bar we visited was Cafe Amsterdam which wasnt an ideal starter for Ibiza Virgins the barman was surprised we only wanted Pints ?

Our first night coincided with the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony, so we were catching bits on big screens down the Westend. One of my most random Ibiza menories was the whole bar going silent when the Queen turned round to James Bond and it was the actual Queen. Everyone of all ages and nationalities was like 'whoa'. We were getting dragged into any bars as werent clued up on the PR's tactics back then.

We then headed to Es Paradis for a free wrist band night and Darude were on, Sandstorm getting dropped our first ever night! It was half empty and now we'd turn our noses up at that kind of night, but back then it felt like we'd 'made it'

Another strange night at Eden followed, they had fully naked dancers in snow globes, a lot of Spanish in the crowd dressed all smart, and our first experience of techno. For some uncultured lads from the North of England it was a culture shock!

We did make it to Cream and Guetta at Ushuaia later in the week, Calvin Harris was Guetta's support act which shows how long ago it was now!

A simpler time with mostly cheaper nights just having a laugh with mates. A lot to be said for that, a few years later we got too obsessed with going to the 'big' nights at high prices and in hindsight that wasnt as fun as the early days. We now try and mix the big nights with some more laidback ones.

Below is what I wrote a few years ago about my first night in Ibiza on a thread from December 2017. I might try to jog my memory on the other 3 days.

What was your first proper club night on the island and did it live up to your expectations?

Club: Amnesia
Party: La Troya
Date: July 3 2003

I made arrangements to see ibiza with a friend that was visiting from the US while I was working in the UK, but I got a flight on BMI? a day earlier than planned to get in an extra day. I had arrived early in the evening and did not have a hotel booked until the next afternoon, essentially forcing myself to party all night. I found the hotel and warily handed over my backpack to "reception" for storage.

This was my first night in a real world class club. Previously, I had only done some shit hip-hop clubs in Washington, DC and UK and before that, house parties in college. I am not sure if it was the "disco bus" back then, but I took a bus. Getting off the bus, I could see Privilege was visible from across the road. I remember getting to Amnesia shortly after 11pm and the place was empty. I had a drink or two at the bar on the 2nd level, and apparently the time somehow passed unnoticed, as I looked over the balcony to the dancefloor the club was full.

I have no idea who the DJ was. I remember dancing to "Shake it (no te muevas tanto)" from Lee Cabrera, as the air cannon blasted the dancefloor.There were girls in thongs and trannies on stilts... at 6am the music stopped and a black guy and his thonged troop of models in white biknis made the announcement. There was "la espuma" and the floor filled with foam.

After watching what amounted to climax of foam spilling from the phallic soap cannons, I left shortly after the foam, and realized it would be difficult to get back to SanAn (few buses, no taxis). I was not and never have been an all-night party person, so I felt miserable and unsure how I would get back. The road was dusty and the rising sun was taunting me as I stood there... guys 2-up on mopeds zipped away from the the parking lot.

It was my 1st Ibiza experience, and I "popped my cherry" at Amnesia... in retrospect, it was kind of underwhelming and overwhelming at the same time. It made me realize I am not a clubber, but a beach-bar guy. I realized when I do go out, I like "production heavy" nights more than "underground" especially when naked women were part of the production.

Eventually I made it back to San Antonio, and got my bag from "reception". I laid out on the beach an began chatting up girls. My friend was to arrive in a few hours and we would be able to check into the hotel. That same afternoon, and evening of July 4th 2003, would turn out to be one of the weirdest in my young adulthood (but that is the topic of another thread) .

That same afternoon, and evening of July 4th 2003, would turn out to be one of the weirdest in my young adulthood (but that is the topic of another thread) .

This is a good exercise as this was now 17 years ago next week. A lot of drinking that fateful weekend!!!

Day #2 began laying on the beach trying to sleep. This was the beach in front of PlastiK before they built the wide promenade that is there today.
It must have been about 10am, but the sun was already out and it was hot!!! This was 2003 and apparently one of the hottest summers in Europe in 70 years. I was exhausted from not sleeping the previous night but I was also I was worried about getting my things taken so I used my backpack as a pillow. Europeans are known for your pickpocket skills, whereas in the USA we are more of a smash and grab society!!! I know when I am about to get punched, but am not so prepared for slight of hand. This made me a bit tense as I had all my cash, cards and passport in one place. Anyway, this was my first time on a proper Spanish beach and all I could see were bare breasts!!! I was in heaven. Between my paranoia, 23 y/o libido and the heat there was no napping this morning.

One of the things I didn't know at the time was the "Ibiza Effect" where everyone is always in a good mood and talkative. Even though I was alone I quickly met people. A couple of British girls began to talk to me. I was on work assignment in Derby, England at the time, and there realized my advantage as I was considered an "exotic" foreigner with an American accent. This gave me a bit more confidence than normal when speaking to women. One of the girls was a smooth talking Londoner that seemed mildly interested and let me know that she and her friend were staying at Picis Park which was right around the corner from my hotel. My hotel, I forget the name, but it is now called "The White Apartments" above Plastik/ Flaherty's Irish Pub. I took mental note that it was pretty close to our place. By the time I was done talking to them it was afternoon and I was able to check into the hotel and I was able to put my luggage (backpack) away and clean up.

A few hours later, my Friend "G" from the US arrives but has bad news. His luggage was lost and was at the airport in Madrid or Barcelona, so the first order of business was to find him some clothes and toiletries. After getting him some shorts and a couple of T-shirts we stop at the infamous WIPS and pick up some supplies. We get an bottle of Bacardi Lemon and some soda and sit directly out in front on the plastic chairs and proceed to drink the entire bottle in 2 hours. I can still handle my drink today, and my constitution was even stronger back then (fresh out of University), but I was also working on NO SLEEP, so this was not going to turn out well. My buddy "G" was fresh off a transatlantic flight so he was not going to fare much better... I had been alone in Europe for about 4 months up to that point and it was nice to have a familiar face to chat with. The drinks flowed
and my alpha/wolf tendencies began to show. We became loud, obnoxious Americans speaking to strangers passersby. At one point I grabbed the most obese girl in the plaza and put her on my lap. While we were entertained, I am sure we were also entertaining for most everyone else there. Eventually, the bottle was empty and right on time the London girl I met earlier magically appeared...

She invited us back to her hotel, which was an adventure, as were were not allowed to visit as guests (apparently). She had to sneak us upstairs. Her girlfriend from the beach was on the couch and largely uninterested, so she ushered us off onto the balcony. It is really hazy how it happened, but both "G" and I began kissing this girl in broad daylight removing her clothes. I cant remember if this balcony faced other hotel balconies or random local residences, but I recall people directly opposite of us. Eventually, "G" was on one end of her and I was on the other and things were about to happen. As I prepared to put my cock in her mouth (and "G" about to do his thing behind) she came to her senses and said "this was too much, too fast". She apparently didn't like the idea of being in a threesome at 4pm in view of others (who knew girls didn't like that). Being the gentlemen we are, we asked "are you really sure" a couple of times. Eventually seeing ourselves out.

"G" and I go back to the hotel to process what just (almost) happened. He had only been on island about 3 hours at that point, but the alcohol was already taking its toll. At some point we got separated and I went back to the beach in front of the hotel (because it worked out so well the 1st time). This time a South African answered the call. This girl was pretty, but looked a bit rough in a badly sunburned hippie kind of way. In any case, I was almost blackout drunk and horny so I wasn't picky. I actually took her to dinner at the Chinese restaurant at the bottom of the west end. I remember wondering if the shark fin soup actually had shark fin in it. After dinner, the girl said she wanted to hang out, but I remember being slightly worried about my friend "G", so I wanted to get back to the room. This was before cellphone were so popular, and you actually had to find people. We made plans to meet at a specific time later that night at Plastik. Before we parted, she asked if I could "score her some coke". I had never purchased drugs before in my life and never tried cocaine, but agreed just the same.

I get back to the room, and "G" is still no place to be seen. I am exhausted and starting to feel hungover, despite having and entire a hearty bowl of soup to myself for the day. I thought I would lay down for a nap. When I opened my eyes I realized hours had passed ("G" was still gone) , I looked at my watch and missed my "date" with the grungy South-African girl. Unfazed, I thought she would be hanging out at Plastik. In anticipation, I go downstairs and sheepishly approached and asked a couple of people about cocaine... no luck. Probably for the better. I bump into the smooth Londoner from afternoon's near-orgy, she said she was looking for us. Normally this would have been welcome news, but at that point I was spent, and "G" was still missing in action.

I end the night back in my hot room alone, and have the most uncomfortable night of sleep on the most uncomfortable bed in my life, and "G" was still gone...

Day #3 will come when I have some more time....

Last edited:
This is a good exercise as this was now 17 years ago next week. A lot of drinking that fateful weekend!!!

Day #2 began laying on the beach trying to sleep. This was the beach in front of PlastiK before they built the wide promenade that is there today.
It must have been about 10am, but the sun was already out and it was hot!!! This was 2003 and apparently one of the hottest summers in Europe in 70 years. I was exhausted from not sleeping the previous night but I was also I was worried about getting my things taken so I used my backpack as a pillow. Europeans are known for your pickpocket skills, whereas in the USA we are more of a smash and grab society!!! I know when I am about to get punched, but am not so prepared for slight of hand. This made me a bit tense as I had all my cash, cards and passport in one place. Anyway, this was my first time on a proper Spanish beach and all I could see were bare breasts!!! I was in heaven. Between my paranoia, 23 y/o libido and the heat there was no napping this morning.

One of the things I didn't know at the time was the "Ibiza Effect" where everyone is always in a good mood and talkative. Even though I was alone I quickly met people. A couple of British girls began to talk to me. I was on work assignment in Derby, England at the time, and there realized my advantage as I was considered an "exotic" foreigner with an American accent. This gave me a bit more confidence than normal when speaking to women. One of the girls was a smooth talking Londoner that seemed mildly interested and let me know that she and her friend were staying at Picis Park which was right around the corner from my hotel. My hotel, I forget the name, but it is now called "The White Apartments" above Plastik/ Flaherty's Irish Pub. I took mental note that it was pretty close to our place. By the time I was done talking to them it was afternoon and I was able to check into the hotel and I was able to put my luggage (backpack) away and clean up.

A few hours later, my Friend "G" from the US arrives but has bad news. His luggage was lost and was at the airport in Madrid or Barcelona, so the first order of business was to find him some clothes and toiletries. After getting him some shorts and a couple of T-shirts we stop at the infamous WIPS and pick up some supplies. We get an bottle of Bacardi Lemon and some soda and sit directly out in front on the plastic chairs and proceed to drink the entire bottle in 2 hours. I can still handle my drink today, and my constitution was even stronger back then (fresh out of University), but I was also working on NO SLEEP, so this was not going to turn out well. My buddy "G" was fresh off a transatlantic flight so he was not going to fare much better... I had been alone in Europe for about 4 months up to that point and it was nice to have a familiar face to chat with. The drinks flowed
and my alpha/wolf tendencies began to show. We became loud, obnoxious Americans speaking to strangers passersby. At one point I grabbed the most obese girl in the plaza and put her on my lap. While we were entertained, I am sure we were also entertaining for most everyone else there. Eventually, the bottle was empty and right on time the London girl I met earlier magically appeared...

She invited us back to her hotel, which was an adventure, as were were not allowed to visit as guests (apparently). She had to sneak us upstairs. Her girlfriend from the beach was on the couch and largely uninterested, so she ushered us off onto the balcony. It is really hazy how it happened, but both "G" and I began kissing this girl in broad daylight removing her clothes. I cant remember if this balcony faced other hotel balconies or random local residences, but I recall people directly opposite of us. Eventually, "G" was on one end of her and I was on the other and things were about to happen. As I prepared to put my cock in her mouth (and "G" about to do his thing behind) she came to her senses and said "this was too much, too fast". She apparently didn't like the idea of being in a threesome at 4pm in view of others (who knew girls didn't like that). Being the gentlemen we are, we asked "are you really sure" a couple of times. Eventually seeing ourselves out.

"G" and I go back to the hotel to process what just (almost) happened. He had only been on island about 3 hours at that point, but the alcohol was already taking its toll. At some point we got separated and I went back to the beach in front of the hotel (because it worked out so well the 1st time). This time a South African answered the call. This girl was pretty, but looked a bit rough in a badly sunburned hippie kind of way. In any case, I was almost blackout drunk and horny so I wasn't picky. I actually took her to dinner at the Chinese restaurant at the bottom of the west end. I remember wondering if the shark fin soup actually had shark fin in it. After dinner, the girl said she wanted to hang out, but I remember being slightly worried about my friend "G", so I wanted to get back to the room. This was before cellphone were so popular, and you actually had to find people. We made plans to meet at a specific time later that night at Plastik. Before we parted, she asked if I could "score her some coke". I had never purchased drugs before in my life and never tried cocaine, but agreed just the same.

I get back to the room, and "G" is still no place to be seen. I am exhausted and starting to feel hungover, despite having and entire a hearty bowl of soup to myself for the day. I thought I would lay down for a nap. When I opened my eyes I realized hours had passed ("G" was still gone) , I looked at my watch and missed my "date" with the grungy South-African girl. Unfazed, I thought she would be hanging out at Plastik. In anticipation, I go downstairs and sheepishly approached and asked a couple of people about cocaine... no luck. Probably for the better. I bump into the smooth Londoner from afternoon's near-orgy, she said she was looking for us. Normally this would have been welcome news, but at that point I was spent, and "G" was still missing in action.

I end the night back in my hot room alone, and have the most uncomfortable night of sleep on the most uncomfortable bed in my life, and "G" was still gone...

Day #3 will come when I have some more time....
This is amazing. I identify with this story WAY more than I probably should.

You teased us with that story couple of years ago...
I always wanted to write this trip down someplace, planned to do this years ago but go sidetracked. I will try to get day #3 and #4 done this weekend.

What happens in Ku , stays in Ku ...

I always feel like I missed the party in IBZ being a few years too young. One regret from '03 was missing Manumission (it was already Privilege by then). You cant do everything I guess, also regret not doing La Leche party at Amnesia with Wifey in '10 & '12.

Thanks for a great thread - an excellent occasion to go through old photos and relive the memories!

My first time was in September of 2004 for 4 nights, stayed at the hotel Argos in Talamanca. Me being a travel junkie, this was planned not as a beach/nightlife vacation at all, but as a quick sightseeing trip. I didn't know back then I would later return to Ibiza again and again, so I tried to visit all attractions during that trip (and failed even at that). So I didn't enjoy it that much back then, and my first Ibiza trip was by far the worst one.

If you are an Ibiza virgin, don't repeat my mistakes and don't cram too much sightseeing into your calendar - attractions won't run away, you can visit them years later on subsequent trips to the island :)

Day 1

Arrived, picked up my rental car, drove West along the coast to Es Cubells, Cala d'Hort, Cala Vadella, enjoyed some tremendous views from the road.

From there, drove via St. Josep back to Ibiza Town and checked in at my hotel in Talamanca. Tried swimming at Talamanca - yuck! Drove to Cala Boix for swimming, enjoyed the waves. It's still one of my favorite beaches on the island.

Was a very hot day with some fine sand blown over from the Sahara desert which covered all parked cars.

Day 2

Drove to Portinatx, then snorkeled at Cala Xarraca (got bitten by jellyfish), then on to Port de Sant Miquel (and an excursion to Cova Can Marca). Went to Benirras from there (horrible parking). Then returned to the hotel and took a small boat across the harbor to Ibiza Town (the boat stopped at El Divino underway, IIRC). Walked through busy pedestrian streets by the port, entered Dalt Vila through the main portal, randomly walked uphill through the maze of streets until I arrived at the cathedral. Before the trip, I had read about powerful lasers from the big clubs in San Rafel illuminating the sky, but this must have been before my time on Ibiza, I only saw a bright colored spotlight shining from Amnesia. Walked along the bastions on top of Dalt Vila in the dark enjoying the views, the warm evening and... silence.

Dalt Vila at night was magical - the tranquility on top is such a contrast to the busy streets outside the walls packed with people, cafe tables and shops and the equally busy Placa de la Vila. Since then, every time I visit Ibiza, I go on top of Dalt Vila and soak up the atmosphere - it never gets old.

My sightseeing bucket list included "visiting a club", so having consulted Ibiza Spotlight (yes!!!) for the party calendar, I went to Tunnel Trance Force at Privilege. Wasn't really memorable (except for a bottle of water costing 11€ in the club), and I wasn't in the mood for partying, so spent an hour or so listening to their fast trancy music, then called it a night - this bucket list item was done, and that's what counted.

Last edited:
Back