DJing advice please!

it's true that not all the great DJs are super tight mixers - no names Mr Larry Levan! :lol:

and if it's downtempo or what some might call Balearic that Alfredo and, later, Padilla played, then the drama associated with a seamless transition isn't needed at all at that tempo

and DJs used to often manipulate record changes with a spinback or a sudden stop - equally valid and exciting. There is a rawness about sudden spinbacks deployed in detroit techno, which is still pretty spine-tingling

more often than not... spinback = get out of jail/damage limitation exercise and people resist the temptation for fear of looking like a plum .

Yes of course its all about the music Grego, I didnt say that it wasn,t.

I said that when you mix 2 good tracks together it enhances the "music" and brings the experience of that sound to another level. A symphony of sound.

Music always has to progress or be enhanced If it wasn't we would still be listening to sounds in mono or on cassette tape!!!

Music is personal to each individual. I enjoy my music better when I can bring it to another level like mixing. It's make the experience more enjoyable for me.

If mixing doesn't do it for you.........then that your personal choice.

Back on to the subject........check out this software, easy to use and has a 14day free trial.
http://www.pcdj.com/

but by referring to technology you make the assumption that it is always progress.

analogue sound versus digital for example.

levan was the ultimate, he played the same record for 40 minutes and make it work, it was nothing to do with mixing for him. it is whether the music worked together, whether it made sense, that is the key that most 'DJs' wouldn't have a clue about today.

if old roberto was playing marvin gaye crashing into some energy flash into some true disco, i wouldn't give a flying fcuk about the mixing, just the music.

see i would have to disagree.... if its all about the music, then it surely sounds better when played correctly?? there is truely nothing that gets me more 'out of the mood' than listening to great tracks being massacred.... OVER & OVER & OVER! :evil: & im talking from a dancer's perspective (NOT AS A DJ)..... i mean, how do you keep the rhythm going when every mix is a trainwreck??? i dont get that..... i just dont..... i cant.... sorry.....

anywho, good luck with it robder...
post the mix up wen your done! 8)

but by referring to technology you make the assumption that it is always progress.

analogue sound versus digital for example.

levan was the ultimate, he played the same record for 40 minutes and make it work, it was nothing to do with mixing for him. it is whether the music worked together, whether it made sense, that is the key that most 'DJs' wouldn't have a clue about today.

I wouldn't necessarily subscribe to that newsletter Grego!!!

There was no technology around in Beethoven's time and he was considered a madman for the style of music he played!!

Technology has nothing to do with it. An orchestra can mix many different types of sound and instruments to give an end product.

I wouldn't necessarily subscribe to that newsletter Grego!!!

There was no technology around in Beethoven's time and he was considered a madman for the style of music he played!!

Technology has nothing to do with it. An orchestra can mix many different types of sound and instruments to give an end product.

so we agree then?

what you arguing for? :lol::lol::lol:

Hmm... that program looks interesting from a sequencing point of view.
Do you find it better/easier for putting songs together than Cubase, Logic or other packages?

I'm looking for something with a low enough learning curve that I'll actually get off my butt and learn to use it sometime soon...

Its great for an entry level product and I use a mixture of this, ableton and cubase at home when working out how I want to do tracks and where I want parts to fit.

Yes, it is probably easier than doing tracks on Cubase etc for a beginner but really it's as easy or as complex as you wanna make it. It's pretty good for mash-ups and so forth due to the beatmatcher. ;););)

Such age old arguements in this thread.

End of the day, if you can't do it all none of what you do will be good enough to prevail.

Theres alot more to being a DJ than beat mixing, but yeah. WHy don't you just provide a mate whose a dj with the songs you want mixed and ask them to do it?

Its great for an entry level product and I use a mixture of this, ableton and cubase at home when working out how I want to do tracks and where I want parts to fit.

Yes, it is probably easier than doing tracks on Cubase etc for a beginner but really it's as easy or as complex as you wanna make it. It's pretty good for mash-ups and so forth due to the beatmatcher. ;););)
So, if you were choosing to learn just one of these, which would you pick?

Back