DJing advice please!

Fender? Nice. Mine's not quite so fancy. Plays alright though... or would, if I ever got around to playing it :confused:

:lol:

It's a mix for me, me, me and me (and anyone who shares my tastes).

I've no one to perform in front of and the only ego I'm stroking if I pull off that 'grrrreat mix' is mine. :lol:

...and because I couldn't give a monkeys about these things I'd rather embrace technology and focus my energy on selecting.

It's only a bloody project so lay off with your snobbery! :lol:

David Mancuso is one of my fave DJs in the world and he doesn't mix so shove that up your hoop. :p :lol: ;)

Even with a computer programme you will still have to mix the tracks, i.e( you have to tell the programme when and where your start and end or in and out points are).

Therefore you are actually mixing like one of us egotistical snobs:eek:

If you just want a bog standard "run in and run out" programme just use I-Tunes or Windows media. The money you save can go towards the purchase of a blow up doll as your audience.:)

why not just invest in a cheap midi controller like the m-audio x-session? goes for about £60 new, and comes bundled with the torq software.

jesus christ......!! if you cant mix then why are you wanting to dj???
can i be so stupid as to ask what the "important stuff" is???
tracklisting????

??????:arrow:

Not everyone who likes music is a Dj.

And, lets be honest, most Dj's now have a horrible track listing just for the sake of being unique and original and 'different' but, never better. .. No offence to all the other dj's, but see what happens when you "keep it all about the music?"

What about that really old program mix meister or master or something? That was a nifty lil program. It was cute :)

Oh God now I'm confused...thanks for all the advice. ;)

I'm willing to shell out £60 if necessary but I have no idea what all these programmes do.

Cheap midi controller? M-audio x-session? Eeek.

I just want something like final cut pro with a timeline that beat mixes tracks, allows you to add samples and adjust the volume etc.

how about sound forge or Audacity then? They're not really Dj programs but if you have the patience Im sure you could use them?

They have the time line lay out, but then you'd have to re-do the pitches of your songs so theyre all the same then place them in beat but then, you can also eq and add effects etc.

I wouldn't recommend it, but Im a bit of a hypocrite so Im gonna recommend it anyway :D

No Im kidding. But maybe production software could help you?

See, you might even need a combination of 2 programs.

http://deckadance.image-line.com/ there's a demo version here to play about with...

"Of course, if you suck as a DJ, you will still suck using Deckadance, but you will suck better, faster, harder and more creatively than ever before!" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

There IS another program that does it ALL for you, will have a think for the name

:lol: that would be me then.

I just need something that will beat mix tracks on a timeline at the click of a button (will need to plot where I want it to cue in etc on a timeline, merge tracks and add samples).

There must be something out there that does all this.

I'll have a look at Deckadance - thanks! 8)

Audacity isn't nearly complex enough for me.

Definitely too basic - I want all the bells and whistles without the need to beat mix because i'm cack handed. :lol:

I just need something that will beat mix tracks on a timeline at the click of a button (will need to plot where I want it to cue in etc on a timeline, merge tracks and add samples).

Hmmm in that case, have a look at Acid it IS sequencing software but it'd be fairly easy to do what you've described on it and the beatmatching tool will also help (you have to do some of the work on it i'm afraid but it is easy enough). There's a free demo version here, http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/acidfamily.asp which I think will have all the things you'd need to do what you've described & it's pretty straightforward. Obv, you won't be wanting the full thing but think you can record off of the demo version. (don't quote me on that)

I agree with Disco.

Why DJ if you don't mix? That's where the buzz comes from.....when you get that mix just right and drop it to perfection......great feeling.

so so so wrong.

it's all about the music, not the mixing. that's why mixing is kind of taken as a given now and the music has prevailed.

if old roberto was playing marvin gaye crashing into some energy flash into some true disco, i wouldn't give a flying fcuk about the mixing, just the music.

so so so wrong.

it's all about the music, not the mixing. that's why mixing is kind of taken as a given now and the music has prevailed.

if old roberto was playing marvin gaye crashing into some energy flash into some true disco, i wouldn't give a flying fcuk about the mixing, just the music.

Yes of course its all about the music Grego, I didnt say that it wasn,t.

I said that when you mix 2 good tracks together it enhances the "music" and brings the experience of that sound to another level. A symphony of sound.

Music always has to progress or be enhanced If it wasn't we would still be listening to sounds in mono or on cassette tape!!!

Music is personal to each individual. I enjoy my music better when I can bring it to another level like mixing. It's make the experience more enjoyable for me.

If mixing doesn't do it for you.........then that your personal choice.

Back on to the subject........check out this software, easy to use and has a 14day free trial.
http://www.pcdj.com/

it's true that not all the great DJs are super tight mixers - no names Mr Larry Levan! :lol:

and if it's downtempo or what some might call Balearic that Alfredo and, later, Padilla played, then the drama associated with a seamless transition isn't needed at all at that tempo

and DJs used to often manipulate record changes with a spinback or a sudden stop - equally valid and exciting. There is a rawness about sudden spinbacks deployed in detroit techno, which is still pretty spine-tingling

if all your wanting to do is create some mix cds for yourself, mixmeister is a good shout.

i don't think using dedicated sequencing software is going to be any more pain-free (for you) than actually djing.

still think you'll get more enjoyment in the long term from actually djing, but each to their own.

Hmmm in that case, have a look at Acid it IS sequencing software but it'd be fairly easy to do what you've described on it and the beatmatching tool will also help (you have to do some of the work on it i'm afraid but it is easy enough).
Hmm... that program looks interesting from a sequencing point of view.
Do you find it better/easier for putting songs together than Cubase, Logic or other packages?

I'm looking for something with a low enough learning curve that I'll actually get off my butt and learn to use it sometime soon...

Back