Defected stole my photo

Morbyd

As many here are familiar with the dance music record label Defected, I thought I'd share the following letter, which was fired off early on Saturday morning (in an admittedly less than sober state):

Dear Greg

I understand you are the website editor for Defected.

I just got home from a night of clubbing and, as I was winding down with a cigarette and a glass of iced tea, I hopped onto the 'net and saw an article linked-to on Facebook by a DJ friend. That article is entitled "The Russian March" (http://www.defected.com/news-reviews/word/The Russian March/1064), a slightly misinformed but still interesting article about the electronic music scene in Russia.

Imagine my surprise when, 2/3 of the way through the article, I saw a particularly familiar photo from the KaZantip festival in Ukraine. In 2008, to be specific. I thought, no, it couldn't be... but as I opened up the folder of photos from my one and only trip to the festival, I was faced with the shocking truth: That is my picture.

I assume one of your website people lifted the photo off of my blog. Honestly, I wouldn't be too bothered... if it weren't being displayed on the website of a record label whom I'm sure would be somewhat upset if I were to go out and Bit Torrent some of your albums.

Not asking you to take it down. But a "photo by" caption would be nice. You can call me by my nickname - Morbyd.

Best regards,
John
:lol:

for a "less Than sober state" you spoke very well haha .
But yea you are right it is your property , just keep downloading their music :)

:lol:
True... not many typos at all!
My last drink had been about an hour earlier.... perhaps I was sobering up.
Although the memory of me writing it is somewhat fuzzy. :lol:

morbs, i had the s*n copy a whole article of mine recently, verbatim in places!

check this out though, in april, mixmag did an april fool's saying that ibiza was going to have a fallow year in 2011 and all the clubs would be closed. it was posted on their blog.

both pacha mag and defected have copied this as a true story and published as thus. dear oh dear.......

I always assumed that if your pix aren't copyrighted, anyone can do what they like with them. A lot of professional photographers also embed their names into their pix online.

Defected is a sinking ship anyway..

incidentally, anyone who has ever used 4clubbers.net (I used to write club reviews for them) be aware that a lot of the pix have absolutely no relation to the night in question. If someone submits a review but no pix (gurnmills was notorious for banning cameras) then something from somewhere has to fill those blank spaces...

I always assumed that if your pix aren't copyrighted, anyone can do what they like with them. A lot of professional photographers also embed their names into their pix online.

Defected is a sinking ship anyway..

Anything you create is automatically copyrighted by you and cannot be used without your permission.

And how is Defected a sinking ship?

maybe because it's a tired label putting out dated tunes - just been flicking through the Defected player on their site....

currently listening to some hyper-cheeze rework of bamboleo

I rest my case, your honour...

*I do miss the defected forum though - a lot of gimps on there but quite amusing at times

Guys anything that you put up on the internet is fair game for anybody to nick. For example, Facebook owns all the information put up on your page because when you accept their terms and conditions its buried in the smallprint.

Legally, Cyberspace is a very complicated area to operate in, so be careful what you post.

Morybd, im afraid your letter is probably in the bin by now.

Guys anything that you put up on the internet is fair game for anybody to nick. For example, Facebook owns all the information put up on your page because when you accept their terms and conditions its buried in the smallprint.

Legally, Cyberspace is a very complicated area to operate in, so be careful what you post.

In flickr you can clearly see how the photographer let others to use the image. Of course it's very easy to "steal" them. Defected is a decent label and I very much doubt they would just bin the letter without a response.

That's why I don't post personal photos on Facebook.
(not that it helps... there are a couple hundred photos of me posted by various others :evil:)

As this photo was lifted from my own website, I believe copyright protections still apply.

Ahh... I remember that!

I think I did a screen shot of Diario de Ibiza (about DC10 closing, maybe?), and hosted it on my site so as to post it on here. Then it got picked up in every clubbing forum this side of the Atlantic, thus eating up some unexpected bandwidth.

But that wasn't really a copyright issue.

As this photo was lifted from my own website, I believe copyright protections still apply.

Not necessarily. As a previous poster mentioned anything produced by you belongs to you. When you put it up on the internet your are in effect publishing your work. This is where the legal grey areas begin as there are no previous laws to go by.

Its costly to ensure you have full legal protection as its an ambivalent area to legislate on and nobody is rushing to introduce regulation.

The Australians are leading the world in trying to grasp the legal minefield that is the virtual world!

A company that I used to work for looses millions in revenue each year as they cannot find a legal framework to charge for revenue derived from the content that its owns as it does not come under any specific countries laws and legal framework.

It would take legislation through parliament to fix............

Last edited by a moderator:
In flickr you can clearly see how the photographer let others to use the image. Of course it's very easy to "steal" them. Defected is a decent label and I very much doubt they would just bin the letter without a response.

By responding to the letter you are admitting that you were aware of the issue and thus liability.

Most clever companies will kick for touch in these cases and play dumb.

No such thing as decency in the corporate world its all about the bottom line.........profit!

A greek old man whose photo was recently used in a yoghurt adv without his permission got around 100k...
well that 's a start towards you new object of affection... :lol:

Not necessarily. As a previous poster mentioned anything produced by you belongs to you. When you put it up on the internet your are in effect publishing your work. This is where the legal grey areas begin as there are no previous laws to go by.

Its costly to ensure you have full legal protection as its an ambivalent area to legislate on and nobody is rushing to introduce regulation.

The Australians are leading the world in trying to grasp the legal minefield that is the virtual world!

A company that I used to work for looses millions in revenue each year as they cannot find a legal framework to charge for revenue derived from the content that its owns as it does not come under any specific countries laws and legal framework.

It would take legislation through parliament to fix............

sorry this sounds like a load of crap to me. maybe i'm just not so sure after the castellano/spanish thing or that ibicencos apparently favour speaking a foreign language (english) rather than one they nearly all speak fluently (castellano/spanish).

i googled copyright internet and almost all the articles i saw seemed to refute what you are saying.

sorry this sounds like a load of crap to me. maybe i'm just not so sure after the castellano/spanish thing or that ibicencos apparently favour speaking a foreign language (english) rather than one they nearly all speak fluently (castellano/spanish).

i googled copyright internet and almost all the articles i saw seemed to refute what you are saying.

b-409558-colour_Handbags.jpg

Back