Day Trips from London

.......... City of Culture 2008 - get yourself to Liverpool....

do the usual touristy stuff - Ferry across the Mersey, The Cavern Tour blah blah blah

the Architecture is amazing visit the old docks - Irina will love the photo opportunities - theyre in abundance.......

I went to the Cavern, didn't do the tour, but it was rubbbbbbbbbish. Did I miss something ? Granted, I'm only 12 and not in to the Beatles or anything but ?! The best thing in Liverpool seeing where the used to film Richard & Judy out of Granada TV.

I went to the Cavern, didn't do the tour, but it was rubbbbbbbbbish. Did I miss something ? Granted, I'm only 12 and not in to the Beatles or anything but ?! The best thing in Liverpool seeing where the used to film Richard & Judy out of Granada TV.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I hate the Beatles and no one will convince me to like them otherwise so I have no idea if you missed out - I wouldnt paid to go into the cavern if my life depended on it - just thought it seemed a touristy thing to do really....

Yeah - I got very excited by Fred and his weathermap at the old R&J Studio in the docks and I was surprised when someone told me that Fred the weatherman's boyfriend was none other than Jimmy Corkhill from Brookside...... never found out if that were true..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jimmy Corkhill from Brookside..

when i was working down the saff coast in the summer during uni hols, he came into the restaurant with that bird who's on everything now... i cant remember her name...

anyway, he was STILL wearing that denim jacket he work in Brookie. :lol:

That's another one I'd thought of, given that I haven't been to Scotland. Would love to see it.

But it's a killer of a train ride, isn't it? It was 4+ hours just to Newcastle when I went and not the most comfy of trains. Plus it cost as much as a plane ticket!

flight is cheap as chips

get a flight to prestwick, jump on the nearly free train to glasgow central, your there in 2 hours.

Brighton is cool and closer, however Bath is far nicer, a stunning Georgian Spa town in a valley, with so much history and stunning surrounding countryside!
If yr feeling flush, Babbington House would be well worth the visit, the iconic country house hotel & spa, 20 mins from Bath, the jewel in Nick Jones organisation!! http://www.babingtonhouse.co.uk/launch.php#1***1

If you fancy a bit of naval history, Portsmouth's only an hour and a half from London by train, or an hour from Brighton, and you've got the Victory (excellent) and Mary Rose (not really worth it, that one), and the historic shipyards and a big tower you can go up and see all around. And some pretty groovy old pubs in Old Portsmouth.

And I love (out of the suggestions posted):

Oxford (dreaming spires and all that)
Bath (just nice)
Liverpool (Liver building is pretty impressive)

And I think are most overrated:

Stonehenge (a busy road, no access, the world's worst tourist facilities)
Manchester (lacks cohesion)

Cambridge is very nice, only and hour away from London on the train.

Good eateries, half decent bars and good shopping.

Plus you've got the Universities, punting down the river with a picnic and a bottle of something, the american cemetary, if your into that kind of thing as lots of our american friends do frequent it on visits.

People are nice to ;).

Back