Day Trips from London

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! :D

I hear so much about Brighton that it seems like we'll definitely have to check it out. Sounds like it'd be good for a train ride down and spending a night out of the city. Anyone got a favorite hotel? I know there have been some threads with mentions of places to visit so I'll do a search before we go.

I've always wanted to see Stonehenge and looking at a map it doesn't seem far from Bath. Do you think the 2 could be combined into a day trip by car?

i take it youve never driven on UK roads... :lol:

Train to Manchester is only 2 1/2 hrs & then another 45 mins to Liverpool - get your as$ up the North West!

It is firmly where it is at.

i take it youve never driven on UK roads... :lol:
No I haven't... should I be afraid? Very afraid? :lol:

I drove on the left only once in my life - for a week in South Africa - but as that was 2.5 yrs ago I suppose that'll take some getting used to again.

How long is it to drive to Stonehenge? 2hrs?

I drove on the left only once in my life - for a week in South Africa - but as that was 2.5 yrs ago I suppose that'll take some getting used to again.

Our roads are just pants and it takes ages to get everywhere due to stupid speed restrictions on motorways/roadworks/sh*t drivers who tootle along in the middle lane, one way systems - I hate driving..... :lol::lol:

Stonehenge is miles away, and relatively dissappointing. By relatively, I mean massively, from London, maybe 3 hours. From Bath, 1 hour. You can't touch them, it's right by a big road and not exactly tranquil and full of Chinese people taking photo's. Not the hippy experience it's made out to be. Your call.

I second, above thoughts on North West, Manchester especially I think is one of the places you gotta see in England. Tells a different story to down south, it's all standard down here. Newcastle too, is well worth a look, but fooking miles away.

Manchester's far enough to make that an overnighter, isn't it?

I'll admit a bit of curiousity...

from where?

As a guide from Heathrow, on a day clear from traffic...M25/M3/A303 - will prob take about 60-90mins or so.

if i may suggest...

Stonehenge.... drive down to New Forest...Bournemouth... Poole (pop into the Redknapps for a cuppa)... Brownsea Island... Drive back to London via the south coast, taking in all the delights of the seaside towns all the way to Brighton.

That's another one I'd thought of, given that I haven't been to Scotland. Would love to see it.

But it's a killer of a train ride, isn't it? It was 4+ hours just to Newcastle when I went and not the most comfy of trains. Plus it cost as much as a plane ticket!

That's another one I'd thought of, given that I haven't been to Scotland. Would love to see it.

But it's a killer of a train ride, isn't it? It was 4+ hours just to Newcastle when I went and not the most comfy of trains. Plus it cost as much as a plane ticket!

southend it is then! :lol:

Yeah it's a killer alright!! Higher murder rate than New York:eek:

Glasgow is actually a really nice place, excellent for shopping too. like most big cities there are places to stay away from but most of glasgow's decent parts are in the middle anyway.

I stay in Fife so i cna tcomment to much on other places:lol:

wherever you go, i hope its good!

Essex is good. You could buy loads of white levis to take back to Russia and sell on the Black market. Sorry i thought i was in the 1980's for a moment.

Train to Manchester is only 2 1/2 hrs & then another 45 mins to Liverpool - get your as$ up the North West!

It is firmly where it is at.

.......... City of Culture 2008 - get yourself to Liverpool....

do the usual touristy stuff - Ferry across the Mersey, The Cavern Tour blah blah blah

the Architecture is amazing visit the old docks - Irina will love the photo opportunities - theyre in abundance.......

Apologies, Chinese, Japanese, racist or not, I can't tell the difference. Is there clear differences ? In appearence, obviously.

Also, what chewie said about his southcoast tour is the best yet, even better because you can take in Bognor Regis on the way :p. And the Poole, Sandbanks idea is class, Harry & Jamie Redknapp, Sulley Muntari, Beckham, Richard Hughes, Pedro Mendes, I know where everyone lives.

Back