Day Trips from London

Morbyd

OK gang, the missus and I are in England next week and we've got a couple of free days in between events.

We're thinking of getting out of the city for once, seeing as despite numerous visits to the UK I've only been to Surrey and Newcastle and the missus hasn't been anywhere outside greater London.

So, what would you recommend for day trips, or even an overnight trip? One idea that came to mind was Brighton. Irina also mentioned something about the cliffs of Dover. Other ideas?

And is it best to catch a train or would it be worth renting a car?

Brighton is lovely especially if you get nice weather. You can get a train there in just under an hour from one of the main stations (sorry I forget) but might be London Bridge.

Definitely worth checking out. Some lovely little shops and eating places down there.

Dover apart from the cliffs and the castle is a bit of a sh1t hole!

You could got into somewhere like Cambridge which is ok for day out with the missus.

Brighton though is highly recommended too. Only an hour on the choo choo. Worth an overnight stay too.

I work with quite a few foreign people here and they all head to Glastonbury to see Stonehenge and all that while they are here but best to hire a car for that I suppose.

You could even head into Wales and Cardiff or beyond depending on how long you got here.

Everything depends if you want to chill or actually go and see things etc while you are here.

Your welcome round to my madhouse fella but you'll be glad to get home after though!;)

Or why not make the most of your Norwich abode???;)

I have always fancied going to Windsor for the day - never made it yet - everytime I am in London I lose hours and hours and generally only see the inside of clubs..... :oops::oops::oops:

Brighton for nice bars, food, atmosphre, little shops and people.

Dorset for beaches and sunshine (lol, you'll be lucky!)

Bristol is worth checking out and a lovely train ride to it from Paddington on the worlds first proper mainline railway line.

I'm going there in a few weeks to take the kids to Legoland!!

They have a Legoland??? I only wanted to go for the historical value.... If I had known there was a Legoland I might have made more of an effort when i was recovering from a Turnmills session - that would have been a bit :eek::eek::eek:

;)

Oxford is a nice place to visit, its only about 50 minutes from Paddington station by train, the train station is right in the centre too. There are lots of nice things to go and visit as well as nice places to eat and drink, a few great museums, impressive archetecture, river trips etc etc . If you want to know more i'd be happy to give you some pointers.

Mr.B

remember how little our nation is morbs.

it takes me a little over two hours to get from london to leeds, whereas it can easily take an hour or so on the tube to get to friends places.

i'd imagine it'd be just as quick to get to anyway on the mainlines.

how about bath, irina would be snap happy there.

They have a Legoland??? I only wanted to go for the historical value.... If I had known there was a Legoland I might have made more of an effort when i was recovering from a Turnmills session - that would have been a bit :eek::eek::eek:

;)

Oh yes! Can't wait! Roped one of the chaps to come with us so he can look after the kids while me and the missus have a go! (ooh er!)

Brighton for nice bars, food, atmosphre, little shops and people.

Dorset for beaches and sunshine (lol, you'll be lucky!)

Bristol is worth checking out and a lovely train ride to it from Paddington on the worlds first proper mainline railway line.

and Monkey World

well worth a visit

Bath is nice as stated by Grego. Really lovely little place, I went there a few xmases ago and it would be lovely to go back when the weather is nice.

Yep Brighton is lovely , very vibrant feel to it but much more laid back than london. Theres some really nice quiet places towards Oxford which could be worth exploring

Brighton is overrated by wannabe cool Londoners, I'm from there and moved to Bournemouth coz it's loads better. Go Bournemouth. :twisted:

Brighton is overrated by wannabe cool Londoners, I'm from there and moved to Bournemouth coz it's loads better. Go Bournemouth. :twisted:

Heard good things about Bournemouth. A few of the chaps been quite few times and said it ain't a bad weekend place. I trust their judgement 100% too.

Nice until the stags and hens get here in the summer, then it's turns a bit rough and scummy depending on where you go. Been a few choice new clubs openings here recently which has upped its musical credibility a bit too, most big DJ's played in Bournemouth now, Guetta & Morillo turning up recently was a bit of a signal that it's on the up, despite not liking either, they're the big boys. Bournemouth could be special, getting rid of its old timer reputation and brining in the cool kids. New marina opening next year bringing the surf element to it too. Nought much better than a summer in Bournemouth in my book, okay... maybe Ibiza.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! :D

I hear so much about Brighton that it seems like we'll definitely have to check it out. Sounds like it'd be good for a train ride down and spending a night out of the city. Anyone got a favorite hotel? I know there have been some threads with mentions of places to visit so I'll do a search before we go.

I've always wanted to see Stonehenge and looking at a map it doesn't seem far from Bath. Do you think the 2 could be combined into a day trip by car?

OK gang, the missus and I are in England next week and we've got a couple of free days in between events.

We're thinking of getting out of the city for once, seeing as despite numerous visits to the UK I've only been to Surrey and Newcastle and the missus hasn't been anywhere outside greater London.

So, what would you recommend for day trips, or even an overnight trip? One idea that came to mind was Brighton. Irina also mentioned something about the cliffs of Dover. Other ideas?

And is it best to catch a train or would it be worth renting a car?

when are you about johnbob?

Back