Danny Tenaglia Retires...

fingers crossed :lol:

This the best DT news I've heard for a while.

He spreads himself FAR too thinly these and this latest statement runs with my opinion he prefers to keep it rare and special. Lord knows what his money worries are that he hints at tho frankly he's a soul that needs to do as his heart dictates.

He'll survive this diva crisis, and he'll be back, and you can bet you ass I'll be there to see it. Especially if he plays his edit of the Quentin mix of REM :lol:
Spot on!

The question is... Who's gonna be next?? It's reaching a point in the history of house music which could see quite a few follow... Tong, cox, van dyke, morillo, vath, may etc etc... They are all either very close to or else already are the wrong side of 50yrs old...

I personally don't think this is the case TBH, this is all new EDM-House music has never been in this faze before, how old is too old.? With introduction of the V!P I think the likes of Carl Cox will DJ until 60/70 years old at least. I did some research and found out FooFighters lead is 43, Noel Gallagher is 44, Bon Jovi 50, Steve Tyler Aerosmith 64 & last but not least madonna 53.
The point I'm trying to make is other acts would have also been this age had it not been for the drug and drink induced 60's, I heard that J-low is 43....

Times are a changing we have all seen fellow Spotlight members rocking out at 50 plus, something I think is going to be the norm in the next few years with the world economy. I see the V?P areas changing to just an older crowd with money ;)

I'm never going to adopt the stupid EDM* tag, neither will I embrace hierarchical VIP b0llox - even at 60. ;)

* I agree with Terry Farley's take on the subject:

"I think the yank promoters have rebranded it to EDM anyway - none of those spring break style lazy assed cracker kids want to know about the Black / Gay roots .. its like Chris Hill and the essex pyramid building shaving foam crew all over again"

:lol:

I'm never going to adopt the stupid EDM* tag, neither will I embrace hierarchical VIP b0llox - even at 60. ;)

"I think the yank promoters have rebranded it to EDM anyway - none of those spring break style lazy assed cracker kids want to know about the Black / Gay roots .. its like Chris Hill and the essex pyramid building shaving foam crew all over again"

I don't like the word EDM also, nor do I like the V!P areas however calling it house music kinda of covers it I suppose but there is a lot of Genres in house music so EDM kinda works outside of Europe.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

You see, I'm a proper hypocrite in that regard. I'm perfectly fine with the term EDM and use it freely and frequently. Whereas the term 'electronica' I utterly despise. Couldn't begin to explain why.

So true^^.

You see, I'm a proper hypocrite in that regard. I'm perfectly fine with the term EDM and use it freely and frequently. Whereas the term 'electronica' I utterly despise. Couldn't begin to explain why.

+1 to that. I see nothing wrong with terming dance music made electronically (no matter how poorly or who by) as EDM. Ok, yes, it throws everyone together in one big melting point genre wise, from hard house to club house to terrorcore. But they all have the same kind of elements in the tracks. It's like all the popular indie bands (which aren't actually independent, I may add) are still rock bands.

Got to see Danny T on a work night play a one night only gig in Sydney for 8 hours lol. Caught the train to work from the club and got changed in my car lol.

Such a epic night.

I only use the term EDM when posting something with a possible US reader in mind .. don't know why but I guess that sets it apart from "Techno", a term which Americans seem to use to refer to the very worst sort of electonic music (which isn't Techno at all :spank:).

Btw ... isn't E..MD something often associated with EDM rather than the music itself :confused: :twisted:

I don't like the word EMD

It's true there are often a few over-40s with a drinky station in the VIP areas ... but that's sometimes because their poor wee legs can't keep going through a whole night any more without somewhere to sit down for a nice cup of tea... along with the fact that club overcrowding is so bad these days they just can't dance like they used to :arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKFRRQSP-o

Still .. being a crusty old raver I have to go with Robder on this one, speaking personally anyway.

Interesting points - and whilst EDM could be seen as a catch all term, I don't think it is.

I think it relates directly to fledgling producers of the moment such as Deadf3rret, Swedish House Kuntz and Madonna's pet Aviici. :rolleyes:

^^^ As Sneak insinuates, a commercially driven genre seemingly determined to identify itself as something 'new' and revolutionary by aligning itself with pop princesses of the moment and distancing itself from the underground in an effort to appear boundary pushing.

Electronica to me is that catch all (and slightly irrelevant) term - completely holding space on you finding it annoying as I hate genres too. :lol:
I'm kinda fine with it though.

Genres by their very nature push the development of music into retrograde and take away its natural fluidity.

They're for people that don't understand music and just want to appear knowledgable and hip.

I only use the term EDM when posting something with a possible US reader in mind .. don't know why but I guess that sets it apart from "Techno", a term which Americans seem to use to refer to the very worst sort of electonic music (which isn't Techno at all :spank:).

Btw ... isn't E..MD something often associated with EDM rather than the music itself :confused: :twisted:

It's true there are often a few over-40s with a drinky station in the VIP areas ... but that's sometimes because their poor wee legs can't keep going through a whole night any more without somewhere to sit down for a nice cup of tea... along with the fact that club overcrowding is so bad these days they just can't dance like they used to :arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKFRRQSP-o

Still .. being a crusty old raver I have to go with Robder on this one, speaking personally anyway.

Whoops :D

Where did this EDM sh1t come from? I will never ever call it that! The VIP and table service is ruining house music. :spank::evil:

Tbh, I think (to some degree), we do need genres. Even if it's just the top level ones (Trance, House, Dubstep, etc)

Afterall, I don't want to be going out to a club with a dj on, expecting to hear trance but instead hearing speedcore :lol:

...no - but it is nice to be educated.

It's more fun to come from a place of not knowing with music.

Back