Danny Rampling's Greatest Sets

Robi3249

For my first start of a thread my apologies for ignoring the momentous news in America but after the slating he got after the recent interview, what are your most memorable sets by Danny Rampling. Anyone old enough to remember 88 and give substance to the legend? I'm not quite but remember a great set at Amnesia in 96 for Radio 1. Always loved Leftfield - Space Shanty which I only heard that once in a club and about that time he did like to bang it out which was a refreshing change if I remember rightly.

For me, the definitive Danny Rampling mix is the essential mix he did on May 16th 2004. It's a studio mix and it's by far the best set I've ever heard him play. It's got lots of retrospective stuff in it too. (It starts with 'love is the message' 8))

I also love the Glastonbury 95 essential mix because it was during his Goa phase...he goes a bit crazy with the 303 at one point and plays about with that Ego Acid track. It's extremely noisy and quite possibly one of the most insane mixes I own.

In a club, the best set I ever heard Danny Play was for Moneypenny's at El Divino back in August 2000. Unfortunately getting a live recording is impossible though. :cry:

few different ones.

not there, but remember him banging it like commander tom on 10gs of el salvadorian at creamfields 98.

pacha 99 played a live essential mix, when good funky house ruled the world.

loved him 99-01 era, remember this freebie, quality! :D

http://www.discogs.com/release/76808

Loved his Goa phase, the weekly Euro Mixes on his radio show were prized recordings which I would love to find online. To his credit he was a very versatile DJ, my second most memorable set was also at Miss Moneypenny's at El Divino in about 98, him and Norman Jay not playing Goa trance.

the weekly Euro Mixes on his radio show were prized recordings which I would love to find online. quote]

Ditto. The euromixes were fantastic, some of the first 'proper' house music i heard (while coming out of my rave phase!). I have a fair few of them on tape, but they are deteriorating badly now, would love to find them on the net. Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
His 1st essential mix from 1993 was ace. Also heard the "millionaire hippy" at Zero G in nottingham with Ali Whitehead. Those were the days!

One of my first London Clubbing experiences was Rampling at "Club For Life" at the "Gardening Club" in Covent Garden. Back in 1994. I had bleached blond hair. And I hiched a lift to London on the Anti Nazi League bus from newcastle for a £5. :lol:

One of my first London Clubbing experiences was Rampling at "Club For Life" at the "Gardening Club" in Covent Garden. Back in 1994. I had bleached blond hair. And I hiched a lift to London on the Anti Nazi League bus from newcastle for a £5. :lol:

I used to go to Club for Life sometimes. Remember seeing Jay Kay lose it on mushrooms in there.

And Jeremy f-ing Healy playing Michael Jackson.

Ditto. The euromixes were fantastic, some of the first 'proper' house music i heard (while coming out of my rave phase!).

I didnt really listen to his show much but from the bits I can remember were the euro mixes of his show quite trancey? or they seemed trancey to me at the time anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my first start of a thread my apologies for ignoring the momentous news in America but after the slating he got after the recent interview, what are your most memorable sets by Danny Rampling. Anyone old enough to remember 88 and give substance to the legend? I'm not quite but remember a great set at Amnesia in 96 for Radio 1. Always loved Leftfield - Space Shanty which I only heard that once in a club and about that time he did like to bang it out which was a refreshing change if I remember rightly.

Awsome tune

rampling was never a great DJ or mixer - I revere him more as a selector and radio jock and for his role in bringing e culture to the UK

however, I would kill to get my hands on what I think was his and in fact the first ever essential mix with btribe, time frequency remix, datura amongst others on there (1993?)

I didnt really listen to his show much but from the bits I can remember were the euro mixes of his show quite trancey? or they seemed trancey to me at the time anyway.

Yeah you're actually right there Ferd. What i should have said was proper 'dance' music, as opposed to the high-pitch-chipmunk-singing-over-a-fast-beat crap i had been listening to up to that point in my life!

Funnily enough, from what i can remember of the tunes from back then, a lot of them would probably fit quite well into a modern day set, what with all the housey trance tunes out there by the likes of Deadmau5 and Glenn Morrison

Back