Cream Grand Finale Part 1 - Anyone going?

one of the best nights Ive ever had , annexe was brilliant all night. Couldnt get near the courtyard if Oaky and Seb were your thing, we were strictly sticking to house all night long!

I actually listened back to Oakies set and some of Sebs last night whilst cleaning my brothers house before he moves out. Mad how that the mixing seems so much different in the club as opposed to listening back to the live set - some of Oakies mixing is shocking (no surprise there) listening back but i dont recall thinking that when there.

Also a couple of records got played that either i didnt get onto at the time or had forgotten - Mecca Diamondback being a highlight.

It was a fitting end to somewhere that means a lot to a lot of people. I know that each clubbing 'generation' has its venues/clubs/tunes and each generation (and even each city) feels that their scene isthe best its been...but to my mind, those 2 years of Oakies residency at cream wont be beaten. Musically - a lot of trance stuff has not stood the test of time very well at all, but the atmosphere, the whole 'buzz' around the club at that point was off the scale. Im pretty sure that Sheffield people would say that Gatecrasher had the same around that point in time too but i just feel we were so lucky to have the best club in the world at that moment on our doorstep.

There is a section in the Cream x 10 book when either James or Darren is saying about the Saturday the club reopened in the January after new year at the start of Oakies second year residency. It talks about the start of the set and the crowd reaction when the first beats of Flaming June come in. They say in the book that at that point they just knew they had the best club in the world - and, at that point, in my view they were right.

some of you on here know about the night i run - we are 10 years into that now (10th anniversairy show this sat actually - shameless plug!), it was cream that shaped the way we thought about clubs, gave us that passion to want to do something ourselves and i bet the other big Liverpool promoters (Chibuku, Circus) would say the same.

Back