Corruption within the staff and security?

Now recalling a incident at Carwash at Bagleys (I think), in the late 90s, where we'd gone on mass with a football squad and WAGs, all in 70s fancy dress. I was innocently having a pee in a toilet cubicle, door open, when one of our mates came in, saw I was there and decided that the top of the toilet roll unit was prime position for him to knock up a line. I hadn't even noticed here was there before the bouncers grabbed us both and I found myself outside the club, flares and big wig and all, a mere half hour after entry..

I also recall someone who definitely wasn't me borrowing a small package off a mate on a Sunday morning in The Key, to have a bouncer take that and the £20 note he'd rolled up shortly after he entered the cubicle. Checked his wallet for any other cash too, but it was empty

Corruption runs deep, into almost every corner of society.

I remember when I was about 12 or 13, hanging around with my mates one dark November evening. We were carrying a load of fireworks, stashed in jackets and pockets.

We got caught off guard by a couple of coppers. Before we knew it they were tipping our pockets out and confiscating all of our precious cargo.

Told us to go straight home and they didn’t want to see us on the streets again that night etc.

I remember being raging that the Hot Fuzz had taxed my banshee rockets off me.

I was double raging when we spotted them setting all of our fireworks off from the back of the police station.

Corruption :confused:

What I sent to Defected:

Dear Defected Team,
I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to share my recent experience at the Defected night held at Eden Nightclub in Ibiza on the 09th June. As a frequent visitor to Ibiza and someone who has been to the island over 15 times, I have always respected and admired the clubs, culture, and the overall atmosphere of the island. However, my most recent visit to Defected has left me deeply disappointed and concerned about the integrity of the security team.
Let me start by emphasizing that I consider myself an experienced and mature individual who has had the opportunity to explore numerous nightclubs in Ibiza. Defected has always been on my list of must-visit events, as it caters to a more mature audience and promises a safe and enjoyable night out. Unfortunately, this time, my experience was tarnished by the presence of corrupt security personnel who seemed to be working together to exploit unsuspecting clubbers for their own financial gain.
Specifically, I observed a security guard stationed on the first floor, near the restrooms, deliberately targeting clubbers as they exited the cubicles. This individual would approach them and demand 50 euros, making it evident that his actions were solely aimed at extorting money from innocent attendees. Such behaviour not only creates an unwelcoming atmosphere but also undermines the reputation of Defected as a brand and the overall experience at Eden Nightclub.
I feel compelled to bring this matter to your attention because I believe that Defected should be aware of any issues occurring during their events. It is crucial to maintain the integrity and safety of your nights, especially considering the demographic of mature ravers who attend. Your clubbers should feel secure and respected, without the fear of being unfairly targeted for financial gain by the very people entrusted with their safety.
In contrast, I would like to highlight the exemplary standards set by Pacha as a nightclub in Ibiza. From the moment you enter until the end of the night, the security personnel at Pacha demonstrate friendliness and professionalism. Similarly, the bar staff exude positive energy, ensuring a welcoming and enjoyable experience for all visitors. I believe that Defected should strive to match or exceed these standards to maintain the trust and loyalty of their clubbers.
Ultimately, my experience at Defected at Eden Nightclub has left a lasting negative impression on me and my friends. We have collectively decided that we will not be returning to your event or the venue due to the disheartening encounter with corrupt security personnel. It is my sincere hope that you take this matter seriously and take appropriate measures to address the issue at hand. By doing so, you will not only restore the faith of disappointed clubbers like myself but also ensure the continued success and positive reputation of Defected and Eden Nightclub.
Thank you for taking the time to read this email. I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to your response.

Not sure what people expect to be honest, if you get caught then the best you can hope for is taken off you and allowed to stay in, if they try to sell it back take it on the chin and accept or decline. Be a dick about it and you’re getting roughed up and thrown out.

Not sure what people expect to be honest, if you get caught then the best you can hope for is taken off you and allowed to stay in, if they try to sell it back take it on the chin and accept or decline. Be a dick about it and you’re getting roughed up and thrown out.

It's ibiza....
The clubs know.
The event organisers know.

90% of the club are not only only the worse drug of them all - alcohol.

And so what people expect is you can go to these clubs, on your holiday, behave maturely and respect the place and not expect security to exploit you.

It's ibiza....
The clubs know.
The event organisers know.

90% of the club are not only only the worse drug of them all - alcohol.

And so what people expect is you can go to these clubs, on your holiday, behave maturely and respect the place and not expect security to exploit you.
Don’t break the law and they won’t. They do it because you can’t go to the police. If you’re doing drugs then you’re not really respecting the place

Not preaching here by the way, I’ve been busted enough times to know that if you cooperate with the bouncers then generally they will let you stay in. Never been taxed.

Last edited:
The problem is also lack of evidence. Unless you can somehow prove (with pix/film) that you saw actual cash being confiscated as opposed to paper wraps then your letter will go straight in the bin. Any court would instinctively side with a club operating a 'zero tolerance' policy and see this as sour grapes

@Life of Rye I actually agree with the sentiment, but ultimately your efforts to report will be wasted.

For those of us who don't find drug-taking morally wrong in itself, which I suspect is most on here, punters being taken advantage of as you've described is out of order.

But given the punters in question are on the wrong side of current laws, they find themselves without protection. That's been the case for a long time and some unscrupulous bouncers will take advantage.

Unless you start an avalanche of
complaints, to the point the club/promoter suffers financially, you're pissing in the wind. And that's unlikely, as no-one else on this thread was surprised by what you witnessed.

I do applaud you trying to do something, particularly as you saw it happening to strangers.

Well done to @Life of Rye for taking the time to write and send that e-mail (regardless of what happens to it). As I said earlier, would be worth sending to management at Eden too.

Drugs are illegal, but there are many clubs (not just in Ibiza) where the unspoken rule is that they're tolerated. The bouncers (assuming Rye got the right end of the stick) are definitely out of order. Responding to something illegal by doing something illegal isn't exactly professional behaviour. You kind of hope security are there to look after the welfare of punters, not to bully and extort.

Least they got the chance to buy it back. I got caught trying to unwrap half of my last pill in Passion. I couldn’t unwrap it, they didn’t come in bags so I just wrapped them in clingfilm to keep them together in my pocket, stupid idea! I’ve got the bloke next to me with the light on his phone on so I could see where to unwrap the clingfilm. Finally got it out and a bouncers hand appeared infront of me, reluctantly handed it over where he decided to chuck it into the main dancefloor.

Options: to take it any further you'll need to get people to corroborate the story. Easier said than done. People from that night might be understandably shy about coming forward. Any adverse posts will be deleted off the party's social channels and you'll get blocked. You could hashtag all this to fk elsewhere and try and get it trending... risk they might take legal action against you though esp if you have a lot of followers. Safest bet is probably to kick up a stink without naming names. Sadly lone voices taking on the clubbing industry don't generally win though, as too many female victims of sex predators have found out.

Specifically, I observed a security guard stationed on the first floor, near the restrooms, deliberately targeting clubbers as they exited the cubicles. This individual would approach them and demand 50 euros, making it evident that his actions were solely aimed at extorting money from innocent attendees. Such behaviour not only creates an unwelcoming atmosphere but also undermines the reputation of Defected as a brand and the overall experience at Eden Nightclub.

Were they actually innocent though and will the club/security deem these people as innocent? Whilst we all know what's going on, the clubs have to be seen to be doing something about it (taxing punters isn't the answer though).

Would you not be better off contacting Eden? I doubt Defected have much of a say on the security.

Were they actually innocent though and will the club/security deem these people as innocent? Whilst we all know what's going on, the clubs have to be seen to be doing something about it (taxing punters isn't the answer though).

Would you not be better off contacting Eden? I doubt Defected have much of a say on the security.

The security guard was stood in toilets and waiting for people as they exit the cubicle.

Greedy 5ft7 man ruining the night was so desperate for money the loser was purposely targeting people that were innocent.

The security guard was stood in toilets and waiting for people as they exit the cubicle.

Greedy 5ft7 man ruining the night was so desperate for money the loser was purposely targeting people that were innocent.

Surely you wouldn’t be coughing up 50 euros if you had nothing on you 😂

Well, if anything, you’d hope that the security are advised that there has been an email (which of course they will deny) which in itself may stamp out this behaviour (even if temporarily) Which can only be a good thing. I’ve always found that good relaxed security makes for an overall better environment as opposed to them being aggressive etc.

If they were innocent, the security have no leverage to bribe them for 50 euros

Back