☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper grappling with whether to ask for a 2nd dose of AZ next week at start of week 7 instead of end of week 11 and would appreciate some help from someone who can understand the reporting better than I can.

Tried to read for myself what the actual studies say because there seems to be differing criteria in respect of which the term "vaccine efficacy" is applied, depending on whether you're talking about single dose or timing of second dose studies. For example efficacy in the context of first dose seems only to relate to symptomatic covid rather than total covid infections.

It's not clear to me what efficacy relates to in the context of a 2nd dose given <6 weeks versus at 12 weeks. Perhaps there's a bigger report underneath this somewhere that explains it better but this is all I have found by googling (newspapers no real help at all understanding the detail lol !) >>

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00432-3/fulltext

In a nutshell, does this suggest that ALL infections (symptomatic and asymptomatic) reduced by 55% after 2nd dose <6 weeks after first versus 85% of ALL infections prevented after 2nd dose given 12 weeks after first ? Or does it just say that the stronger antibody immune response was found in lab tests of blood samples from these people exposed to virus in a lab setting to see which neutralized more virus .... or something else 🤷‍♂️ 🤣
I mean, I’d probably talk to a medical professional rather than asking the opinion of us pill munching gurners, but that’s just me....!

Last edited:
I mean, I’d probably talk to a medical professional rather than asking the opinion of us pill munching gurners, but that’s just me....!

Not sure they could/would tell me anything other than Government policy ... and what is already in that study. If even that ! More interested in views of a savvy statistician who understands the study better.

Not sure they could/would tell me anything other than Government policy ... and what is already in that study. If even that ! More interested in views of a savvy statistician who understands the study better.
Again, I would suggest that this might not be the place to find a savvy statistician!

Even if you come to the conclusion as you mention above, I would've thought you'd find it rather tricky to get someone to give you your second outside of the recommended timelines, no? When I booked my 2nd, I was only given the option of dates 11 weeks after my first.

Even if you come to the conclusion as you mention above, I would've thought you'd find it rather tricky to get someone to give you your second outside of the recommended timelines, no? When I booked my 2nd, I was only given the option of dates 11 weeks after my first.

I'm taking my mum for her 2nd to a mass vax centre on Thursday and suffice to say they're usually very flexible provided you're in the manufacturer recommended dosing window (4-12 weeks) and you ask. I've got an appointment in May at the same place for myself so they'd just be doing us together a bit earlier.

I'm taking my mum for her 2nd to a mass vax centre on Thursday and suffice to say they're usually very flexible provided you're in the manufacturer recommended dosing window (4-12 weeks) and you ask. I've got an appointment in May at the same place for myself so they'd just be doing us together a bit earlier.
Pick me up a vial and hypodermic whilst you’re there👍😂

Pick me up a vial and hypodermic whilst you’re there👍😂

Northern Ireland moving to 40-45 today already. You definitely got the raw end of the risk vs access dilemma especially with such a long lead time to 2nd dose access. Every man for themselves in the scrabble for a few weeks now, my brother in law was shy and is out in the cold too.

Just ring and ask, I don't think it would be too much of a problem.
I have done that a few times for example someone has travelled with a family member but their vaccine isn't due fit another week or 2.

Covid deaths down 92% since January.

Shows the vaccine and lockdown is working, but in my opinion deaths are now at such a low level that we have to get on with things now (which I suppose with next weeks loosening of restrictions we are...)

as had been said many times before the deaths caused by bad mental health and the effects of a recession also needs to be considered.

Just ring and ask, I don't think it would be too much of a problem.
I have done that a few times for example someone has travelled with a family member but their vaccine isn't due fit another week or 2.

Did you do that 'on spec' when they showed up or by prior arrangement ? 119 are pretty inflexible as they will only do what "computer says" they can so if I do it, was planning on just asking at Reception and showing my 2nd dose booking for May/NHS number.

Not sure how much I believe this, but is going to be hard to keep UK not fully open for another 2 months.

Real-time modelling carried out by University College London indicates the UK should pass the critical threshold where the proportion of people who have protection against the virus either through vaccination, previous infection or natural immunity will hit 73.4% on Monday, 12 April.

COVID-19: UK set to reach herd immunity 'milestone' within days, say scientists | UK News | Sky News

Must be based on the assumption that 1 dose of vaccine is enough to inhibit transmission and asymptomatic/mild/moderate disease. but I think the truth may be we can't bank on that because trials don't support it for all vaccines. Once we get to 2nd dose stage in the number vaccinated to date right now I think we would likely have herd immunity to all intents and purposes, at least in respect of the original & Kent variants. We should achieve that by the end of June or somewhere leading up to that time.

I’m heading back home to the UK early next week.

New rules say I don’t need to do the 10 day isolation, or purchase two PCR tests (£210). Apparently I only need to do 3 lateral flow tests now and I’m good. They are free of charge.

Gyms are reopening, time to get pumpin and flexing.

Beer gardens will be open. Will cancel out any gym work I do lol.

Booked in for a haircut, so I’ll look 10 years younger.

Spoke to my missus on the Sat phone last night, she let slip she’s got us tickets to see Amelia Lens in July, over in Manchester 🤷‍♂️ :D (I hope it comes off🙏)

Additionally I’ve just put 10 bucks into a sweepy for the Grand National. I’ve got a good feeling about it 🏇 💰

Also, the kids go back to school next week after their Easter break. Peace and quiet in the house.

Ive got some timber getting delivered too. Got a little garden project building a new fence and I’m ridiculously over excited about getting my teeth into it with my tools #dadlife

2021 Fcuking hell I’m absolutely stoked 😄

Have a good day y’all :D👍

Last edited:
Spoke to my missus on the Sat phone last night, she let slip she’s got us tickets to see Amelia Lens in July, over in Manchester 🤷‍♂️ :D (I hope it comes off🙏)
Nice one mate, we there like (with a bit of luck also) Airod will blow the support beams off Victoria Warehouse aswell.. hopefully cross paths, will message you on here closer to the 10th

Nice to wake up to a positive post.

What I don’t understand is the price of PCR tests in the UK. The price here is about 150dirhams (30 quid) and you get the result in about 8 hours. This isn‘t funded by Government either - this is from private hospitals actually making a profit (also Etihad will pay this for you).

When i was on holiday in the Maldives at Christmas it was about 60 quid arranged in resort (so had to be transported etc).

Is the cost in the UK simply supply and demand and lack of testing facilities or is it a case of organizations profiteering?

What I don’t understand is the price of PCR tests in the UK. The price here is about 150dirhams (30 quid) and you get the result in about 8 hours. This isn‘t funded by Government either - this is from private hospitals actually making a profit (also Etihad will pay this for you).

When i was on holiday in the Maldives at Christmas it was about 60 quid arranged in resort (so had to be transported etc).

Is the cost in the UK simply supply and demand and lack of testing facilities or is it a case of organizations profiteering?

I know the Randox ones we had for a package holiday, before Xmas, had to be sent to a lab in Northern Ireland, so whether England had a lack of appropriate facilities is a question

It's obviously a mix of things but people will do anything to back to normal, we've endured this for a relatively long time.

I know in my office of around 15 (mainly women) the majority 6 months ago were not having the jab - they've all been having it recently. Not seeing family/friends, bars and restaurants, deaths, holidays and work - people are feeling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back