☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are gonna bring it in, aren't they - everyone will have to have ten days hotel quarantine coming back from any trip abroad - paid for by self. This will last throughout summer.

I now have the feeling that not only will I not be able to travel abroad this year, I won't be able to travel abroad again in my lifetime. They will just keep saying "oh, you might come across a new strain"...and then say it again and again. And stop us travelling.

Track and trace = useless and pointless. Are vaccinations going the same way? We have them but can do feck all once we've had them? Anyone else think a bottle of whisky and a gun would be better now??

It's *only* been a year. Societies coped with much longer-lasting disruption through world wars. For now, we just need to sit tight and try and make sure people get any essential help they need. Surely travel right now isn't more important than massive loss of life?

Anti-lockdown / anti-curfew demonstrations in Amsterdam, Eindhoven, The Hague and multiple smaller places you probably never heard about ended in severe violence against police, looting, setting cars on fire.
I can (kinda) understand violence against police - they represent the evil state.

But why loot shops and set cars on fire??? Shop and car owners are not responsible for the virus or the lockdown - in fact they likely suffer as well!

Seems someone is abusing the protest for their own agenda.

Ye Gods, just had the post and there's a ruddy Jet2 flyer there "BOOK YOUR SUMMER 2021 HOLIDAY"

For fu......

Surely after all the hassle with refunds last year and the way things are looking, no-one is taking a chance right now for this summer? ? Ryanair have been sending out promo e-mails for April onwards...

I can (kinda) understand violence against police - they represent the evil state.

But why loot shops and set cars on fire??? Shop and car owners are not responsible for the virus or the lockdown - in fact they likely suffer as well!

Yeah it's really harsh for the shop owners, makes no sense. I know a lot of police officers who havent joined the police for this shit or for giving people fines for masks or curfews too so it sucks for them too...but indeed, they represent the state.

The media in The Netherlands is full on framing this as "Anti-corona measures protesters committed violence" but it's so easy to see that riot youth are abusing the protests indeed.

Selfish c*nts being selfish c*nts I guess ?

It's *only* been a year. Societies coped with much longer-lasting disruption through world wars. For now, we just need to sit tight and try and make sure people get any essential help they need. Surely travel right now isn't more important than massive loss of life?
Well no it's not and In the grand scheme things does not seem like much, but as mental health is also a big issue traveling helps with that... Having something to look forward to etc

22195 cases reported today. Big drop week on week (37k)

Open the pubs! Open the gyms! Book your flights! Jab and go! :twisted:

LfoNHTM.gif

Attachments

• 1611592715303.png
    1611592715303.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Open the pubs! Open the gyms! Book your flights! Jab and go! :twisted:
I’m thinking there may be something off with the numbers today, an incredibly big drop. Could be weather related or some other processing issue. Possibly some catching up done this week, we shall see.

Yes, good news..but tests (and therefore positive cases) could possibly be down due to the bad weather - and vaccinations lower than last week. Even so - if you added 5000 cases that weren't found it's still impressive.

case numbers tend to go down a lot over the weekend and rise midweek, which is whey the week-on-week is more significant than the daily fall.

Yes, good news..but tests (and therefore positive cases) could possibly be down due to the bad weather - and vaccinations lower than last week. Even so - if you added 5000 cases that weren't found it's still impressive.

case numbers tend to go down a lot over the weekend and rise midweek, which is whey the week-on-week is more significant than the daily fall.
Last week we reported 37.5 / 33.3 / 38.9 / 37.8 / 40.2 Monday to Friday so there doesn't seem to be a massive weekend effect. The last two Fridays have been the highest of each week, so that seems to be the only anomaly.

I imagine the cases are down a bit due to the weather, just like the vaccines will have been. We should go above 500k a day this week though with 30+ new mass vaccination centres ?

I’m thinking there may be something off with the numbers today, an incredibly big drop. Could be weather related or some other processing issue. Possibly some catching up done this week, we shall see.

They have just announced that 78% of over 80s have been vaccinated, and about 10% of overall population has had first jab. That has to start to bring numbers down you’d hope.

Last edited:
They have just announced that 78% of over 80s have been vaccinated, and about 10% of overall population has had first jab. That has to start to bring numbers down you’d hope.
At current vaccination rates we should be looking at double figures in deaths by early-mid march ?

Too early to be seeing any effect of that yet I think. Primarily reductions will be down to lockdown.

Mass vaccine roll out began 3 weeks ago, so those at the front of the queue should have a decent level of protection now. Things didn’t really ramp up until the following two weeks

I’ll have a hunt about for any fresh data that breaks infection rates down into age groups.

Those dying now likely caught covid in the first week of the new ye

Well no it's not and In the grand scheme things does not seem like much, but as mental health is also a big issue traveling helps with that... Having something to look forward to etc

And if you lose relative(s) prematurely to covid (as many, many people have), I'm not sure that helps with mental health. Lockdown is a challenge for most of us (in different ways).. for me, the answer has been trying to focus on simpler pleasures than travelling abroad. As for something to look forward to, I don't think this is going to last forever.

And if you lose relative(s) prematurely to covid (as many, many people have), I'm not sure that helps with mental health. Lockdown is a challenge for most of us (in different ways).. for me, the answer has been trying to focus on simpler pleasures than travelling abroad. As for something to look forward to, I don't think this is going to last forever.
When I cared full-time for mum, the local authority gave me 12 hours off per month for respite, and I really enjoyed looking forward to my "day out"; which was usually a trip to the Lakes or the seaside for an afternoon drinkies. Now I'm "free" I thought I'd be getting away once a month for as many days as I'd like; but right now I'd kill for those respite days again. In fact, just getting tot he local football or cricket club to watch a game "live" would be so beneficial.

When I cared full-time for mum, the local authority gave me 12 hours off per month for respite, and I really enjoyed looking forward to my "day out"; which was usually a trip to the Lakes or the seaside for an afternoon drinkies. Now I'm "free" I thought I'd be getting away once a month for as many days as I'd like; but right now I'd kill for those respite days again. In fact, just getting tot he local football or cricket club to watch a game "live" would be so beneficial.

Some sort of travel within the country can't be too far off. I'm about to agree to a family holiday (in Scotland) in July. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back