☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they tell people they can't see family over xmas, many will tell the gov to "do one" & ignore it. I know I will after all the sacrifices over what will be 9 months of pretty much not seeing anyone.

Bars and that closed over xmas is a different matter.

I'm sure our glorious leaders will bend the rules to see their families, or go on "test drives"?

If they tell people they can't see family over xmas, many will tell the gov to "do one" & ignore it. I know I will after all the sacrifices over what will be 9 months of pretty much not seeing anyone.

Bars and that closed over xmas is a different matter.

I'm sure our glorious leaders will bend the rules to see their families, or go on "test drives"?
I think they will be strict over Christmas, January is so bad in hospital they just can't risk the potential huge rise if you let everyone do what they normally do. Lots will ignore it of course but need the masses to be good

I think they will be strict over Christmas, January is so bad in hospital they just can't risk the potential huge rise if you let everyone do what they normally do. Lots will ignore it of course but need the masses to be good
Yeah I get that. House parties, people drinking and shindigs would cause rise in transmission, but family seeing each other for dinner on xmas day I think should have some sort of pass.

My parents don't see anyone else and me and my brother pretty much haven't since this all started, so unlikely to be a risk. (Can't have dual bubbles which is a shame). I think will be a lot of families in similar situation.

The tiers in uk I don't think is actually going to ease the problem that much. They should have kept pubs open with strict enforcement of distancing measures and maybe force them to stay open till early hours - the idea been peeps get tired and go home to bed and not after parties?‍♂️. House parties are going to be a problem.

As for "let's go for herd immunity and isolate the 60+ yr olds" idea, unless you literally put the 60+ and vulnerable under enforced house arrest and bring everything to them, it won't work (nevermind their mental health). Cause I don't know of many 60+ yr olds who are going to student parties, but they're still getting infected. Although it is a longer chain of transmission, which is probs one reason there is a longer delay between cases and hospital admissions.

Tl;dr; I think as always our government has screwed it up. Too busy finding ways to privatise the health services instead of expanding the effective local government test and trace capabilities etc and the tiers are not going to have a massive positive impact, but just ware people down.

All uni students should be sent home and stop mixing - which is really shit for them, but would reduce the problems. Notice a lot of the really high prevalence areas are big uni towns ?‍♂️

Rant over ?

Yeah I get that. House parties, people drinking and shindigs would cause rise in transmission, but family seeing each other for dinner on xmas day I think should have some sort of pass.

As for "let's go for herd immunity and isolate the 60+ yr olds" idea, unless you literally put the 60+ and vulnerable under enforced house arrest and bring everything to them, it won't work (nevermind their mental health). Cause I don't know of many 60+ yr olds who are going to student parties, but they're still getting infected. Although it is a longer chain of transmission, which is probs one reason there is a longer delay between cases and hospital admissions.
I dont like Christmas so happy to lock everyone down ?

Another problem with sheltering the vulnerable is the NHS will lose most of its porters, domestics and a big proportion of their senior medics and nurses. Which may be a problem in a pandemic

With schools I think they made a real mistake by not restructuring the holiday pattern. Sure in August it looked like normality, low figures, almost no deaths, but as a precaution and to make sure kids got a full-ish education, they should have gone back in blocks of 4 - 5 weeks separated by 2 weeks off - just in case. Would have to fit round the traditional Xmas and easter breaks, no reason why they couldn't be shortened, and as the kids would have had more holidays throughout the year, then a much shorter summer break.

This would allow so-called circuit breaker time, and if there's no vaccine I reckon it's the only way out of this mess.

Think in the UK the last three days have seen a continual small decline in cases, and deaths remain steady. What I reckon will happen next is that there will be a 2-week lockdown - full with the schools shut so they lose one week after HT. If cases go down, then it won't solve the issue of what caused the spike, was it educational facilities (the obvious cause to me) or the pubs (the scapegoat). So when the kids go back, and the numbers rise again, Boris has the awkward decision to close stuff down over Xmas.
If a further lockdown meant the schools open, but cases rose, then they would have to admit it's the schools/colleges/unis spreading covid.
Our numbers are sky-high at the minute around here 400 or 500/100,000 but speaking to my friend this afternoon, who is privy to local testing data, the numbers are decreasing around here over the last couple of days.

Personally agree that educational settings are driving the rises and the hospitality sector are taking too much flak for it. Understand why they are closing the pubs as it is easier.

If cases go down, then it won't solve the issue of what caused the spike, was it educational facilities (the obvious cause to me)
That's tricky. Education is an obvious culprit (schools reopening is what happened the last month), but on Mallorca, the schools remain open but new cases are no longer on the rise. Could as well be family meets and overall worse discipline. Seems no real research is being done on the exact source of new cases, which is a pity. The only kind of reliable knowledge is that it mostly happens indoors, but this doesn't help us in Northern latitudes, since pretty much everything happens indoors now.

Been a good while since I've logged into the forums, thought I'd have a wee catch up while skiving at work. I've only had a really quick scroll through some of the coronavirus posts and it may have already been mentioned about the potential benefits Vitamin D as a therapeutic measure against coronavirus, something that isn't being widely mentioned by the governments or mainstream media. Also for a differnt slant on things away from the government briefings and mainstream media doom and gloom news, check out some of the posts from Michael Yeadon (he's on twitter), personally I find them very informative.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/what-sage-got-wrong/

Been a good while since I've logged into the forums, thought I'd have a wee catch up while skiving at work. I've only had a really quick scroll through some of the coronavirus posts and it may have already been mentioned about the potential benefits Vitamin D as a therapeutic measure against coronavirus, something that isn't being widely mentioned by the governments or mainstream media.

Not that I am deliberately having a go / digging you out - but pretty much ever news outlet has had vitamin D stories recently

First time we bought toilet paper today since March 16th... gonna be a long Winter..

c1_3674224.jpg

Not that I am deliberately having a go / digging you out - but pretty much ever news outlet has had vitamin D stories recently

These are all very recent, this past week recent. I did come across a couple of them myself but there’s been scientists and doctors banging on about the benefits of Vit D for respiratory infections for months and months yet not a cheap in the media until now, next to nothing about boosting our immune systems during this whole shit show :mad:. Dr Rupa Huq and David Davis pushed Matt Hancock on the Vit D subject in the House of Commons a couple of weeks back calling for a public health awareness campaign.

Ditch the masks and social distancing and get on the D’s:lol:. There’s a study (haven’t read it) indicating supplementing with 2000iu of the D might offer up to 54% protection against the virus, I’ll go for that over a jab any day.

My sis and her husband have it. My sis is okay but her hubby (early 50s but very fit) has it like a really bad flu. Apparently, everything he tries to get down tastes horrible (even water, leading him to be dehydrated) and he fainted the other day.

Looks massively political in Manchester at the moment and interesting a lot of the hospitality industry WANT to go to Tier 3, because at the moment they're in Tier 2 but expected to Tier 3 so customer confidence is so low no-one is going out anyway and they don't get access to full support package because they are in Tier 2. Sacha Lord coming in for a fair bit of criticism.

Also what's the story on ICUS? Are they really practically full throughout Manchester? I thought this virus had weakened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back