☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading about this one today at school; they have a flyer in the bathroom on the wall. I read that there isn't currently a vaccine; like you can't get a shot for it the way you do influenza, and also there's no real treatment. They are treating people in hospitals for their symptoms, but can't address the illness' progression

I was reading about this one today at school; they have a flyer in the bathroom on the wall. I read that there isn't currently a vaccine; like you can't get a shot for it the way you do influenza, and also there's no real treatment. They are treating people in hospitals for their symptoms, but can't address the illness' progression
Correct. But they can treat illnesses brought on by the virus, like pneumonia. It also appears to be that people with underlying health issues are the ones that are dying and in some cases these illnesses are treatable.

It also appears to be that people with underlying health issues are the ones that are dying and in some cases these illnesses are treatable.

that has been wildly under-reported. I wish they'd tell us it'll all be fine, but that doesn't seem to be what they're saying really. I looked at something on CNN (american news) called full circle w/ a doctor on their staff called Sanjay Gupta, and he was downplaying this making it sound like influenza; something far more common, is more serious or at least causes more deaths.

I still wish I knew more! :)

that has been wildly under-reported. I wish they'd tell us it'll all be fine, but that doesn't seem to be what they're saying really. I looked at something on CNN (american news) called full circle w/ a doctor on their staff called Sanjay Gupta, and he was downplaying this making it sound like influenza; something far more common, is more serious or at least causes more deaths.

I still wish I knew more! :)
I guess we all do. But people would benefit if they were aware of what I posted. Unfortunately the death toll is very high and it is in the interests of the media to promote bad news.

I guess we all do. But people would benefit if they were aware of what I posted. Unfortunately the death toll is very high and it is in the interests of the media to promote bad news.
Why do you think the death rate is high?

I work in public health in the UK and in my opinion it’s not high. The mortality rate for Coronavirus has remained pretty consistent at around 2% and out of those the vast majority appear to have been over 70 or had underlying health conditions. There have been outliers and notably at least two young doctors in China. However when you get tens of thousands you will get anomalies. One might wonder if a relentless workload contributed to their deaths? Regardless though the mortality rate is very low for a condition that results in severe pneumonia. This is not Ebola or even SARS.

The most important thing people need to do is wash their hands properly and bin snotty tissues. Just basic hygiene type of things. The real worry will be if Coronavirus ends up in developing countries like sub Saharan Africa or South America, where the health infrastructure is weak.

I work in public health in the UK and in my opinion it’s not high. The mortality rate for Coronavirus has remained pretty consistent at around 2% and out of those the vast majority appear to have been over 70 or had underlying health conditions. There have been outliers and notably at least two young doctors in China. However when you get tens of thousands you will get anomalies. One might wonder if a relentless workload contributed to their deaths? Regardless though the mortality rate is very low for a condition that results in severe pneumonia. This is not Ebola or even SARS.

The most important thing people need to do is wash their hands properly and bin snotty tissues. Just basic hygiene type of things. The real worry will be if Coronavirus ends up in developing countries like sub Saharan Africa or South America, where the health infrastructure is weak.
2247 people that had it have died. That’s a lot of people. I’m not talking about in proportion to other illness or in proportion to those that have contracted it. 2247 is a lot of deaths regardless. This is something that was unheard of a month ago. It’s also spreading rapidly. Again, I’m not comparing it to other things.

Agree about Africa. Agree about sars and Ebola. I was never making an attempt to compare it to anything. Agree with your advice. But let’s not bury our head in the sand regarding scale or media.

2247 people that had it have died. That’s a lot of people. I’m not talking about in proportion to other illness or in proportion to those that have contracted it. 2247 is a lot of deaths regardless. This is something that was unheard of a month ago. It’s also spreading rapidly. Again, I’m not comparing it to other things.

Agree about Africa. Agree about sars and Ebola. I was never making an attempt to compare it to anything. Agree with your advice. But let’s not bury our head in the sand regarding scale or media.
Statistically it’s a moot point whether that is a lot of people if we consider pre-existing conditions and other co-morbidities. It’s better to compare this with something like influenza, which although curable and has a lower mortality rate still globally kills up to 650,000 a year. Yet flu almost never gets mentioned on the news.

I don't think this one is the biggie but it's coming.

One day you'll be sat at home barely paying attention to the yellow breaking news ticker scrolling along the bottom of the screen on Sky news....... Bat Flu deaths rise to 30..... Mother nature hits the reset button and eight weeks later there's no world governments and 6 billion are dead.

Statistically it’s a moot point whether that is a lot of people if we consider pre-existing conditions and other co-morbidities. It’s better to compare this with something like influenza, which although curable and has a lower mortality rate still globally kills up to 650,000 a year. Yet flu almost never gets mentioned on the news.
As I say, I’m not comparing. That many deaths attributed to something that hadn’t killed anyone a month ago is a lot of people.

Thats why the media are annoying, they try and create panic by having headlines of the death toll etc...I believe it's similar to the other viruses that have come from China not that deadly unless immune system weak or are old

I'm fully booked with my flights, hotel, and car for the end of May's opening parties. I don't see how Ibiza will be able to have much of a season, if any really, with the virus spreading like it is. Thoughts of dancing all night in a packed club bring about a totally different feeling than they used to. Stateside, I'm due to fly up to NYC to attend the Brooklyn Comes Alive festival in March, and already I'm having second thoughts, despite the U.S. having barely been hit by it. What to do?

I wouldn't worry about that mate... That's going to blow over as soon as the Olympics get cancelled..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back