☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my past few post I have quoted and linked to expert opinions on what we can expect from a coronavirus vaccine. Relaying information that you are not aware of does not make me full of shit?

Here is the effectiveness of the flu vaccine (CDC) for the past 5 years

2014/15 - 19%
2015/16 - 48%
2016/17 - 40%
2017/18 - 38%
2018/19 - 29%

Also did you know that during the 2009 flu pandemic having that years flu vaccine increased your chances of contracting the pandemic strain if you came in contact with it?

And if the flu vaccine strain is the same for 2 years running it becomes infective and can slightly increase your chances of a bad flu if infected?

Both of these facts are verifiable but I guess you won't be interested.

It's certainly not as simple as vaccines are good and anyone with anything bad to say about them is full of shit.

You’re not telling me anything I don’t already know. You’re making assumptions on the efficacy of the Covid vaccines even when none of the Phase 3 results have even come back. I can link “expert opinions” saying the exact opposite, but opinions don’t matter, the P3 results matter.

Everyone knows the flu vaccine is not 100%, but it’s still good enough to keep things in check.

I’m not even sure what your original point is, that a vaccine which doesn’t offer 100% sterilizing immunity won’t drastically change things?

Public uprising DOES work. A gym in Liverpool, supposed to be closed, was kept open by the owners. So they got fined. So they asked people to crowdfund their fine, and they got 10x more than the fine. So they stay open ready to be fined again.

Result; a U-turn and now all gyms can stay open. (So they shouldn't have been closed in the first place, huh??)

This is what the bars should do, unfortunately - unlike gyms - they have a licence to look after.

Meanwhile, my uprising is this, you don't need to order a meal if you have a soft drink. I have this funny feeling some vodka might magically appear with my coke, let's say it's delivered from the Heavens.

Liverpool bars should take inspiration from Ibiza's clubs where the soft drink part of a spirit and mixer has always been bafflingly expensive.

'Coca-Cola Sir? That'll be £5 please' 'oh that chemical smell is just disnfectant Mr Covid Marshall' ;) :)

Also did you know that during the 2009 flu pandemic having that years flu vaccine increased your chances of contracting the pandemic strain if you came in contact with it?

And if the flu vaccine strain is the same for 2 years running it becomes infective and can slightly increase your chances of a bad flu if infected?

Both of these facts are verifiable but I guess you won't be interested.

It's certainly not as simple as vaccines are good and anyone with anything bad to say about them is full of shit.

These are not verifiable facts though unless your definition is - it is verifiable that somebody stated it is a fact. I would challenge you to find me any scientific literature that would make such simple and unqualified claims. These are incredibly complex topics that are disputed on many sides, that you have tried to distill and it just doesn't work.

For example your reference to the H1N1 pandemic in 2009, there are in fact studies that concluded prior flu vaccination led to higher than expected H1N1 incidence but additional studies across multiple countries found no effect from vaccination and another found protective effect from vaccination.

I definitely don't need saving. 99% of the people in the world don't need saving. Let's save the 1% who really need it and protect them instead of locking down the entire society (and thus creating even worse problems including severe health issues) until that 1% can get their vaccine.

Numbers are rising here because testing has increased. Numbers will fall when we stop testing or get better test methods. PCR has a 40% false positive number, as concluded in scientific research by the University Hospital in Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Hospitals are still miles away from the pressure they had in march. It's fall. There are people dying from flu and long infections every fall.

Flu vaccins are effective, until there's a new strain of the flu (like Covid)...we had that problem in 2016 and 2018 too.
LoL ☹️
Screenshot_20201022_003435.jpg

Then, pasta it is!

buyer-wearing-a-protective-mask-shopping-during-the-royalty-free-image-1593183064.jpg

How do they determine its effectiveness? In the lab with controlled samples or from the results in the 'field' ?

There is loads of info on the CDC website about how they do it but the short answer is observational studies of people presenting to healthcare with influenza type illnesses who are lab tested for influenza.

You’re not telling me anything I don’t already know. You’re making assumptions on the efficacy of the Covid vaccines even when none of the Phase 3 results have even come back. I can link “expert opinions” saying the exact opposite, but opinions don’t matter, the P3 results matter.

Everyone knows the flu vaccine is not 100%, but it’s still good enough to keep things in check.

I’m not even sure what your original point is, that a vaccine which doesn’t offer 100% sterilizing immunity won’t drastically change things?

I don't see how a vaccine that offers no sterilizing immunity and only alters the course of the illness for a percentage of recipients will make much difference. I have already stated why I think this will be how the vaccine works.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and the vaccine is the silver bullet is being made out to be.

Here is an interesting chart (in German) from Germany's Robert-Koch-Institute. It shows Covid-19 spreading events in Germany by situation by week.

Horizontal axis = week of the year.
Vertical axis = number of spreading events.
Colors = situations in which spearing events occurred

Very light blue = places of residence (probably not categorized)
Light blue = private households (not sure what the difference to places of residence is)
Darker blue = retirement/nursing homes
Even darker blue = refugee housing
Dark blue = dorminories
Very light green = medical setting (probably not categorized)
Light green = hospitals
Darker green = doctor's offices
Dark green = rehabilitation (after surgery/serious illnesses, not after drugs :))
Red = workplace
Darker yellow = leisure
Lighter yellow = cafes/restaurants/other food places
Brown = hotel stays
Magenta = transport
Light gray = others or not identified

57aebe94e3acb7978747fcc2837f910a1f1cef415231042f28b6d1c777da6e59.png

I don't see how a vaccine that offers no sterilizing immunity and only alters the course of the illness for a percentage of recipients will make much difference. I have already stated why I think this will be how the vaccine works.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and the vaccine is the silver bullet is being made out to be.
Best stop all those seasonal flu jabs we have then. Complete waste of time & makes no real difference. If only we'd known! ?
?

Small sample size and not scientific but.... speaking to senior colleagues who are responsible for Covid wards and tge overwhelming feeling is that there has been a marked reduction in severity of illness from first time round.

I've been pretty pesimistic but it does seem that way

Last edited:
This sounds promising ? hopefully this continues.
QUOTE="Hally, post: 1034190, member: 12499"]
Small sample size and not scientific but.... speaking to senior colleagues who are responsible for Covid wards and tge overwhelming feeling is that there has been a marked reduction in severity of illness from first time round.

[/QUOTE]

I guess catching the infection earlier and reduced initial viral load (probably from masks and people been more careful) are helping with that.

Let's hope UK death numbers level off soon.?

Here is an interesting chart (in German) from Germany's Robert-Koch-Institute. It shows Covid-19 spreading events in Germany by situation by week.

Horizontal axis = week of the year.
Vertical axis = number of spreading events.
Colors = situations in which spearing events occurred

Very light blue = places of residence (probably not categorized)
Light blue = private households (not sure what the difference to places of residence is)
Darker blue = retirement/nursing homes
Even darker blue = refugee housing
Dark blue = dorminories
Very light green = medical setting (probably not categorized)
Light green = hospitals
Darker green = doctor's offices
Dark green = rehabilitation (after surgery/serious illnesses, not after drugs :))
Red = workplace
Darker yellow = leisure
Lighter yellow = cafes/restaurants/other food places
Brown = hotel stays
Magenta = transport
Light gray = others or not identified

57aebe94e3acb7978747fcc2837f910a1f1cef415231042f28b6d1c777da6e59.png
Noting the absence of schools, colleges and universities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back