Coronavirus | Ibiza Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
full details to follow, but the central government has passed a decree which will put the entire country under lockdown from monday 16th march onwards for 15 days (it could be extended) to slow down further spreading of coronavirus. basically everyone to stay at home (unless you have to go somewhere to work, that would be allowed) and only leave home to go to supermarkets/pharmacies and for medical emergencies.

during the lockdown, public transport (including flights) will be reduced by at least 50%.

so, air traffic to the balearic islands will likely pretty much come to a standstill until the end of march.

I'll update again in a bit.

quick resume of what the president of the spanish government just said in a TV appearance:

- all of spain is in state of alarm (not state of emergency) as from now (with immediate effect) and for the next 15 days in an attempt to prevent coronavirus to spread further
- restricted mobility: everyone stays home. only approved reasons to move are to: go and buy food and medication, draw money, get to work (if you cannot work from home), assist someone in need of medical assistance, walk your dog and obviously if you are in need of medical assistance yourself.
- as from monday, flight connections from the mainland will be restricted to 50%.

the fact that the national airlines will restrict flights for the coming two weeks, combined with the lockdown resulting in no one flying, as well as the international airlines (jet2 announced earlier today) stopping flights temporarily will result in an almost or complete standstill up to the end of march.

the lockdown can be extended after those initial 15 days.

it's too early to say how much the season start and the summer season itself is gonna be affected by this. we will update this thread whenever we've got any developments to share.

for now...

#staythef***home
#stayathome
#quedateencasa

plus - even if said already - restaurants, bars, clubs, theatres, cinemas, game halls, gyms, parks, beaches are SHUT for the next two weeks.

exceptions are:
supermarkets, bakeries, butcheries and similar.
restaurants offering takeaway & delivery service may continue to offer their service.
pharmacies stay open too

latest news just in:

on a national level:
- spanish state decides to ramp up health care system (state can take over private hospitals, state is employing additional health care staff)
- army reserve to be further involved as well as army hospitals to be used for general public if necessary.

on an autonomic region level for the balearics:
- the president of the balearic government has today again requested to further restrict flights temporally in an attempt to prevent from 'importing' more coronavirus cases. as a reminder, as of now, ibiza only has two positive known cases. on the balerics in total the number is 55, the vast majority on mallorca. it's still one of the regions with lowest corona virus cases in the whole of spain. in the TV appearance of the central government which is airing just now (while I type this) they mentioned that tomorrow there should be news re flights to canary islands, to the balearics as well as to ceuta and melilla so it might be possible that the central government eventually considers the request made by the balearics.

as usual, we shall update when we know more.

today's updates so far.

- government says it's basically a given that the lockdown will be for more than the initial 15 days (no big surprise)

- update re augmented restricitions on flights to and from mainland to balearics should follow later today

also, and I guess no one is surprised about this, we expect very little news to emerge from ibiza's clubs and promoters this week. understandably pretty much everyone has adopted a 'wait and see' position.

more soon.

the ibiza media marathon / ibiza half marathon, originally scheduled for 2nd may, is postponed as well - new date TBA still.

because of lockdown and low demand, 20 of today‘s 63 flights to/from ibiza have been cancelled.

more to come later

418578F1-28BC-4491-A215-613330E02047.jpeg

the balearic government is working on a 'plan of return' for tourists to leave the islands. since they are confined to their hotels because of the lockdown it makes little sense for them to stay.

more to follow

spain closing its borders tonight at midnight. only spanish citizens will be allowed into the country until state of emergency is off. there are some exceptions, I shall add a link later

spain closing its borders tonight at midnight. only spanish citizens will be allowed into the country until state of emergency is off. there are some exceptions, I shall add a link later

spanish citizens and foreigners legally residing in spain are exempt of the curfew. starts tonight and for now planned to go until the end of state of emergency.

we are still waiting to see if the central government accepts the balearics' government's request to further limit flights to the balearic islands in an attempt to limit the coronavirus outbreak on the islands.

we are still waiting to see if the central government accepts the balearics' government's request to further limit flights to the balearic islands in an attempt to limit the coronavirus outbreak on the islands
Done!

IMG-20200317-WA0012.jpg

new rules for the balearics, as far as I understood to go into effect tomorrow (I'll confirm when I know for sure, but mrs armengol said it'll be in the BOE which comes out each day, so in effect at midnight tonight)

flights and ferries restricted to:

- one flight per day, company and direction between the islands
- one flight per day, company and direction between ibiza, valencia, barcelona and madrid
- private flights (national AND international) prohibited
- ferry connections between islands and to/from mainland also limited to a minimum of departures. formentera - ibiza just three connections a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back