Confederations Cup

Morbyd

OK people... say it with me now

U S A!... U S A!... U S A!... U S A!!
:lol::lol::lol:

I admit I missed our group games... once I forgot, once I was out and I got to the TV for the unexpectedly grand victory over African champions Egypt just as the final whistle sounded. I wasn't even so concerned with this tournament because a) I figured we'd tank as usual and b) my alternative favorite teams Russia and England aren't involved.

But how about tonight?!? :D 8) 8) :D

A 2-0 victory over the top team in the world. US Soccer's first major final on the way. All good :D

Spain had tons of chances but our defense was massive and Tim Howard probably had the best game of his international career. Quality saves.

Bring on the Brazilians! :lol:

Amen 2 that. We played with a lot of heart. Hopefully, my Longhorns pull off a win 2nite vs. LSU in the CWS and it will be a good day.

The what?

Is this the world equivalent of the Johnstons Paint Trophy?

is it just me or is Spains midfield poorer when the English Premier Leagues finest (Fabregas/Alonso) are in there?

I barely noticed Alonso :oops:
Xavi was there pulling the strings as usual. Iniesta was definitely missed.

the Spanish players couldn't care less - and rightly so

it eats into their hard-earned holiday time and is just a nuisance in the summer calendar

I read absolutely NADA into this result

Funny how a freak result can make someone all jingoistic!
Woohoo! :lol:

Olly - the Spanish players looked plenty bothered to me. There was a definite look of desperation on their faces in the last 20 mins of the match when they still couldn't score.

Not saying anyone thinks this tournament is at all important (unless we beat Brazil :lol:), but they weren't just going through the motions either.

I barely noticed Alonso :oops:

You'll notice him next season when youve paid us 20 mill for him 8)

ps, you glory hunter, only interested in it when you reach the final :lol:

the Spanish players couldn't care less - and rightly so

it eats into their hard-earned holiday time and is just a nuisance in the summer calendar

I read absolutely NADA into this result

:rolleyes: Yeah right. As the worlds number 1 you telling me they couldnt give a fcuk about another truphy and a new world record ?? I beg to differ. Watching the highlights the Americans appeared very organised as opposed to a rare off day for the Spanish.

:rolleyes: Yeah right. As the worlds number 1 you telling me they couldnt give a fcuk about another truphy and a new world record ?? I beg to differ. Watching the highlights the Americans appeared very organised as opposed to a rare off day for the Spanish.

Agree Liam, the players did care. I was very impressed with USA, well organised and quick on the break.

Congratulations morbyd.. you got one over me after the Chelsea v Barca ;)

One of those games where the big guns have an off day in front of goal, and the smaller team manages to maximise their opportunities. I'm just glad this happened now and not next summer.

The fact is if everyone is 100%, the midfield would be Alonso, Xavi, Silva and Iniesta so Riera and Cesc would probably be relegated to the bench.

my point is - some pointless contest like this is going to be a drain on players who've just been through a gruelling season. Their minds are bound to be on the beach. The players should be getting July off esp on the odd-number years otherwise its not fair on the clubs going into the season with knackered players

One of those games where the big guns have an off day in front of goal, and the smaller team manages to maximise their opportunities.
I agree it probably wasn't Spain's best performance but I don't think they were so off in front of goal. Howard just had an amazing match, as did the defenders... the way they were throwing their bodies around to block some shots was nearly heroic... or maybe just desperate :lol:
One Congratulations morbyd.. you got one over me after the Chelsea v Barca ;)
Don't get me started! :lol:

what do u guys think of our chances against the Samba Boys? I'm just happy they're in @ this point...

p.s. so glad my city is finally gettina a MLS team : Go Union!

Philly starts play next season, right JB?

Seattle are the new boys this year... Chelsea FC are going out to play them in a friendly next month.

I almost wish US players like Landon Donovan would abandon the MLS and come play in Europe, but only if some decent European players went the other way instead of players in their mid-30s!

Back