Cocoon, Frankfurt - Help Please!

Hello :D

I had a fantastic weekend, Cocoon was brilliant, Frankfurt was actually much more interesting than i'd been led to believe.

Friday: Sharp exit from work and a stressful rush to get to the airport, flight actually took a lot less time than it said on the flight document, only about 1 hour and 20. Had a few free drinks to calm my excitement, which had reached fever pitch at this point :lol:

Got to the hotel around 10pm, we stayed at the Golden Leaf, midway between Cocoon and the city. Halfway ok hotel, clean etc. But crap beds and pillows :spank:

So we got a taxi to Cocoon at around 11ish, earlier than we thought we would get there, and if we were to go again I wouldn’t go that early - or i would definitely book a table at the restaurant - I didn’t think we would have time to do it, but looking back we probably would have had:rolleyes:... the restaurant Micro looked lovely.

Anyways, the club was silent and pretty empty when we got there, just people walking about and looking round, sat in the little booths and on podiums, very relaxed and I liked this because it gave us a chance to actually explore the place, trying to climb stairs and go through doors you aren’t allowed to etc! The podium dancers hang around the club at this time too, they stand still like mannequins and look like they are dressed up in Galliano dresses or something, i liked them though - makes a change from just tits n ass. There's also a weird floor thing too that has an image that moves when you touch it... that’s a rubbish explanation - anyways I spent far too much time looking at it! The decor and lights etc are brilliant, i especially like the worm curtains...

It was strange really because there was no warm up at all, the music just slowly increased in volume over about an hour. Sven was mooching around in the huge DJ pod thing that looks like a space ship, and then he came on properly at around midnight.

By this point I’d had a few more wines and the next few hours are a bit blurry, safe to say I danced until my feet hurt and a great time was had - “Come on People!” rang in my ears for most of the weekend! I then began to feel tired so, in his wisdom, my chaperone advised me to have a vodka red bull, which I proceeded to drink in the space of about 60 seconds, it all went a bit odd from this point.

We left sometime around 5, lots of taxis outside, then slept for about 3 hours…

*Cocoon review stops here, stop reading if you aren’t bothered about the rest of my touristy weekend!*

Saturday: Got up, feeling very bleary eyed and had breakfast in a local café, one of the best cheese n ham sandwiches I’ve ever had. Food is wicked. :lol: Then we walked into the city, we walked all the way along the river and onto the Museum Embankment, or the 'Museumsufer', there was the most ridiculous flea market going on with the dirtiest and skankiest stuff I’ve ever seen for sale in all of my years on god’s earth. Mismatched shoes, dolls heads, portraits of really odd looking old people, hundreds and hundreds of fur coats, computers from a time when computers didn’t even exist… just filth. But, really entertaining in an Alice in Wonderland, who’s spiked my drink? kinda way. :lol:

Then after eating again to reenergize, we went to the Frankfurt Film Museum8), great Giger “Aliens” exhibit and some fantastic remnants from old German cinema such as the original props and mechanoid from Metropolis… was a bit overexcited by all this. A bit later we went up to the Frankfurt Main Tower, a viewing platform for the skyline, I hate heights so just sat down at the top as my knees wibbled! We walked to some more museums, and walked a bit more, and walked around a bit more, then made our way home with very sore legs.

Sunday was spent trying to find something open, there was nothing. Everything was shut – no shopping no nothing, is it just us that are forced into a 24-hour 7 days a week lifestyle?

So, we went to a cinema showing original language version films and watched Gran Torino, enjoyed it, not sure about all the racist dialogue in it though:confused:, and not sure about the moral closure at the end either, but I did shed a tear… although I shed a tear at most things, soaps, news stories, RSPCA ads (“where’s my mum?” “how did I end up here?”) :cry:…so never mind…

Flew home on Sunday night.

Had a bloody fantastic weekend.

... there was the most ridiculous flea market going on
with the dirtiest and skankiest stuff I’ve ever seen for sale
in all of my years on god’s earth.
Mismatched shoes, dolls heads, portraits of really odd looking old people,
hundreds and hundreds of fur coats, computers from a time
when computers didn’t even exist ...
just filth ...

2afflte.gif

Hey Red :D

Thanks for the review - only got the chance to get back on here today. Sounds like a wicked weekend - I can't wait to get there, 10 days to go 8)

Hoping to have a bit of a touristy day on the Friday, so great to hear about the whole trip - off out for a German phrasebook and Frankfurt guide :lol:

What an amazing place :D8)

Thank you all for tips and advice, a great time had and now Micro goes down as the best restaurant I have eaten in - just fab! All the little extras they give you make it much less expensive than it initially appeared.

Sven, Joris Voorn and Carl Cox rocked it on Friday. Finally finished at 8.30am although I think those of us left would have stayed all day :lol:

The Clear Hotel right next to Central Station is a good shout. I went on boxing day last year. The clubs in Frankfurt are awesome but there's not much else to see!

Heading to Cocoon Frankfurt on Friday night for the Time Warp warm-up and having read the posts/reviews on here, just have a couple of questions for people:

1) what's the best time to get there - i.e. when the club has started to fill up but not too rammed (given that I haven't been able to get a restuarant reservation)?

2) dress code - looks like quite a classy venue in some photos - are jeans/trainers cool or generally do ppl make more of an effort?

Any answers/advice much appreciated!

1) what's the best time to get there - i.e. when the club has started to fill up but not too rammed (given that I haven't been able to get a restuarant reservation)?

2) dress code - looks like quite a classy venue in some photos - are jeans/trainers cool or generally do ppl make more of an effort?

I was over there in february.

1) We headed there about 1ish. no queue at that time and the club was busy. It died once sven vath finished around 4ish though.

2) You should be fine with jeans, trainers and a t-shirt type attire.

A few of my mates went in straight from Love Family Park last year wearing t-shirts, 3/4 length trousers, trainers etc and clutching bottles of water...

They said they walked into the club with no questions asked.

neilly - that's an exception. with the afterparty the do for love family park, they know most of the people come directly from there and therefore are very loose regarding the dress code on that night.

but else - yes, you're fine with jeans, t-shirt and trainers!

I was over there in february.

1) We headed there about 1ish. no queue at that time and the club was busy. It died once sven vath finished around 4ish though.

Not sure how this timing will be for getting into the warm-up party - last year the place was totally rammed with barely any room to move, but I don't have a scooby what the queue was like.

Amazing night though 8)

Back