Cocoon and Funky House

it didn't bother me particularly, just i was more surprised nobody clicked.

as i said, the reason it bothered me slightly was that nobody understood the significance of him being there, whilst luciano and loco dice played modern records that sound like the sound he invented and/or played tracks of his from 15 years of ago, such as.....

....@ scott - like latin seoul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9Oz53NDY0

I don't get it...why did it bother you that people didn't recognise him in the DJ booth? Some of the best DJ's in the world are unrecognisable faces and some of the most recognisable are terrible (step up Mr Guetta). Knowing what DJ's look like is, in my eyes one of the least important parts of clubbing...as they say, its all about the music :)

that's kind my point too really, it was all related to the music and sneak's influence.

Sneak will have been a major influence of both the DJs you're talking about. Anyone who knows about house music will know this. One of my favourite DJs of all time, but to an 19yr old italian on horse stuff, he's probably a fcukin nobody:lol: Go figure....

I've got to admit i've never heard (well, not familiar with maybe) that record, so i couldn't possibly regard it as "funky house", which is a bit of a dirty word round my way....

For me, this is quintessential funky house tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW2xTmWa3Ww

Although now i've watched it i'm thinking it may well be more funky electro.....

*kills self*

sorry but that sneak sound is VERY dated now. No wonder people weren't feeling it

haha!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

where did i say the people weren't feeling it??

they were going crazy for it!! that's the point, luciano and dice played nothing but this sound for 3 hours, all the mannheim crew....this is the sound they play.

shows how on the money you are, if you think the popular sound of now is dated!!

@ scott - real funky house is sneak/morillo/roger sanchez in the mid to late 90s

Can I have an answer sooner rather than later please...I don't know how long Thomas Cook will hold the flights and accomodation for me...

I've been into house music for 21 years now and I wouldn't recognise Sneak , don't even know who the heck he is other than I have a song of his on my ipod called you can't hide from my dub which apparently is a classic house track (although I didn't even know this when I first got it). This just goes to show .... Sneak by name Sneak by nature!

It doesn't really matter whether people like/recognise/know about DJ Sneak.

He's a wicked DJ and has produced some killer tracks. But that's it.

No-ones going to die or get swine flu or anything if they don't dig him.....he's actually playing at the Cocoon night @ Warehouse Project in Manchester (announced today), alongside Loco Dice and Johnny D!

What i think IS important, is that the funky house briggade don't get the impression that Cocoon is an option for them whilst in Ibiza. David Guetta/Swedish House Mafia/Hed Kandi it ain't.....however much Grego has pigeonholed it as such.....

Playing old US house tunes does not = "funky house" music policy

God, i must be bored to be labouring this point:oops:

So 'da kidz' don't recognise their forefathers They're irreverant. They don't give a f*ck, where the music came from, they love, just love it. And they're ready to take on the world.

Best feeling ever, IIRC. ;)

i was chating to Sneak when he played Circus at Circus in may and he was saying he'd had a really good gig in Italy, so some of the Italian kids will know hin now. He's enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the mo he kind of dropped of the radar for a year or two.

It doesn't really matter whether people like/recognise/know about DJ Sneak.

He's a wicked DJ and has produced some killer tracks. But that's it.

No-ones going to die or get swine flu or anything if they don't dig him.....he's actually playing at the Cocoon night @ Warehouse Project in Manchester (announced today), alongside Loco Dice and Johnny D!

What i think IS important, is that the funky house briggade don't get the impression that Cocoon is an option for them whilst in Ibiza. David Guetta/Swedish House Mafia/Hed Kandi it ain't.....however much Grego has pigeonholed it as such.....

Playing old US house tunes does not = "funky house" music policy

God, i must be bored to be labouring this point:oops:

totally disagree that it doesn't matter that people know about sneak. it'd be like telling any aspiring guitarist or fan of guitar music that it didn't matter to know about one of the great guitarists from years before.....take your pick who.

i would never in a million years call guetta or the swedes funky house, i'm not sure anyone does do they?? hed kandi has kind of bastardised the term.

i'm not really a pigeonholer (!!) but basically, to labour the point again, the music was funky, jackin, 4/4 house that sounded exactly like what sneak and morillo and roger sanchez, etc, etc used to play 10 years ago, just without the vocals. contemporary music it is, not old tracks.

to go further, i think it's more important that the underground snobs and 'minimal-only' posse at cocoon realise the music they are listening to is the same house music they say they hate and wouldn't give the time of day at pacha, where a lot of the same music will be played.

people need to be more open-minded about the music basically.

to go further, i think it's more important that the underground snobs and 'minimal-only' posse at cocoon realise the music they are listening to is the same house music they say they hate and wouldn't give the time of day at pacha, where a lot of the same music will be played.

people need to be more open-minded about the music basically.

its not what you play its how you play it... I heard luciano play Junior Jack - Thrill me last year and it sounded really good mixed it right into a techno track and it went right off! Thats a track which used to be hammered at Pacha too.

its not what you play its how you play it... I heard luciano play Junior Jack - Thrill me last year and it sounded really good mixed it right into a techno track and it went right off! Thats a track which used to be hammered at Pacha too.

agreed, it's a bit of both actually.

Back