Cocoon and Funky House

grego

So i went to Cocoon for a couple of hours last night and it was everything good and bad about the cocoon.

Good

the music on the terrace was ace, loco dice and luciano back to back as ever and the funkiest house beats you've heard this side of the millenium. it was filtered, bass driven, 4/4 beats of mid 90s-funky house, nothing more nothing less.

funnily enough the man who kind of invented that sound, sneak, was there in the booth as he has a gig at pacha tonight for flamingo nights.

anyway, luciano played two sneak records. one before the big man appeared and the other probably as a little ode to him. they were 'love' and the enormous latin seoul, which was obviously lost on the crowd in the same way age of love was last year when lucky luciano played it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9Oz53NDY0&feature=related

Bad

whilst the crowd liked the music, it was clear they didn't get the significance of sneak being there. when i first saw, i thought he'd be heralded like the king of this sound overseeing the protegees. instead most people just thought he was some fat bloke in the booth.

the other thing is that it was totally rammo, to the point where it just wasn't enjoyable anymore. i can handle people going past you and you just move out of the way, but when you have that on both sides and it gets to the point where you can't move at all, it's too much.

the other thing with all this is that there are crowded clubs where the people try to get past you by waiting and saying sorry and smiling and basically sharing the love. There are other crowded clubs where people basically walk straight into the back of you and look at you as if you've assaulted them. the latter clubs also tend to be frequented by numerous contenders for the role of 'captain elbows'.

you can guess which club cocoon is like. and this isn't grumpy old clubber speaking because i remember full well what the courtyard was like, you couldn't move and the sweat poured from the ceiling, but it was amazing.

so overall, music great, atmosphere electric, too busy tho, especially the VIP.

nice review Gregatello!

i was really expecting the first comments of the ''reaaaaaally busy'' part anytime now...looks like we're back in normal situations for Cocoon and i hope for the island as a whole! :p

as for the music part of the night house is definitely back and i expect the Cocoon will keep it that way until the end of the season!

i understand your thoughts about Sneak...but i think that even if most have heard many of his tracks they wouldn't recognise if they saw him passing by at the street.it's all a matter of publicity!

btw,any signs of decoration?

I cant wait for cocoon this year, will be going on 17th aug when Raresh is on. Every review I hear says its overcrowded which is a shame as it just ruins nights however good the music is. Another reason why the nights are just in it for the money. Circus in Liverpool were I go have nights at Nation(were cream was) and undersell tickets so so u can move. Obviously cocoon and all the other nights in ibiza dont give a **** how comfy the clubbers are aslong as they are making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

dancey,

i have to disagree about sneak. it's the other way around. other than hide from your bud (and maybe fix my sink and latin seoul), not that many of sneak's productions are so well known. it is more his dj style.

also, he is easily one of the most recognisable DJs ever.

basically i understand that DJs come and go, but "To know nothing of what happened before you were born is to remain forever a child"...........the same goes for sneak. modern dance music followers need to know about people like sneak because, now more than ever, he is relevant.

the other thing to mention is that i've never, ever, ever heard loco dice play like that before. it was getting a little darker when i left but for 3 hours he played nothing but the same funky house described above.

as for decor/production. at least this year there some things hanging from the ceiling, and the dancers show thing was quite good. those mirror ball outfit things that reflect lasers are the latest craze and there was a robot style thing that lifted above the terrace floor and started shooting out sparks.

although i have many of his tracks i must admit that i had never seen his face until 4 days ago. :lol:

anyway i like this years funky house vibe at Cocoon and i think it fits in the terrace !

Sneak is a legend it my eyes! it was him, Derrick Carter and Yousef that got me into clubbing in the first place. Cant beat abit of jack

:D
dancey,

i have to disagree about sneak. it's the other way around. other than hide from your bud (and maybe fix my sink and latin seoul), not that many of sneak's productions are so well known. it is more his dj style.

I think you're overating his significance tbh. I'd struggle to recognise him in a line up (well, struggle compared to the other households), just looks like a cross between Ice Cube and Kenny Dope right?

Hide Your Bud is an average house up of the Pendergrass original, but put with Groove armada - See You Baby and you've the very quintissential Bora Bora tune. :D:D:D

:D

I think you're overating his significance tbh. I'd struggle to recognise him in a line up (well, struggle compared to the other households), just looks like a cross between Ice Cube and Kenny Dope right?

Hide Your Bud is an average house up of the Pendergrass original, but put with Groove armada - See You Baby and you've the very quintissential Bora Bora tune. :D:D:D

maybe if you didn't miss it first time round, then you'd know what i meant. sneak smokin a phat one and making all the girls dance till they were dragged off the floor at the end of the night is part of the fabric of our community.

sorry but i stand by it. sneak is one DJ that if you've seen once, you never forget and everyone knows him. he is also one of the greatest turntablists ever, often bemusing fellow DJs he'd be on the bill with.

so sorry Mr X, he is very significant in all senses of the word. ;)

maybe if you didn't miss it first time round, then you'd know what i meant. sneak smokin a phat one and making all the girls dance till they were dragged off the floor at the end of the night is part of the fabric of our community.

sorry but i stand by it. sneak is one DJ that if you've seen once, you never forget and everyone knows him. he is also one of the greatest turntablists ever, often bemusing fellow DJs he'd be on the bill with.

so sorry Mr X, he is very significant in all senses of the word. ;)

I don't know, I guess were both expressing each other's subjectivities.

I'm not saying he's unknown by ANY stretch, just relative to, say, all the big names that have had a regular slot in Ibiza (sanchez etc) and everyone that's had highly publicised and regular releases I'd say it's understandable (if perhaps a sorry state of affairs) that a Cocoon crowd wouldn't know him from Adam (erm, Beyer?)

I have actually just realised I've never seen him live either

Obviously cocoon and all the other nights in ibiza dont give a **** how comfy the clubbers are aslong as they are making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's the problem, isn't it? Their definition of a club selling out is a club that they can't fit any more people into.

I once read an article about Amnesia being fined for over-crowding at Cream in '99 and '00.

Do clubs still get fined for this happening?

I'm gutted it's too packed already :lol:

Must remember to empty my bladder before I go this time, almost pissed myself in the queue last year. Then I finally got in and had to queue again to get to the toilet.

So 'da kidz' don't recognise their forefathers They're irreverant. They don't give a f*ck, where the music came from, they love, just love it. And they're ready to take on the world.

Best feeling ever, IIRC. ;)

the other thing to mention is that i've never, ever, ever heard loco dice play like that before. it was getting a little darker when i left but for 3 hours he played nothing but the same funky house described above.

:eek: can you give some examples of what you mean by funky house?

I don't get it...why did it bother you that people didn't recognise him in the DJ booth? Some of the best DJ's in the world are unrecognisable faces and some of the most recognisable are terrible (step up Mr Guetta). Knowing what DJ's look like is, in my eyes one of the least important parts of clubbing...as they say, its all about the music :)

Years ago I was at Notting Hill Carnival at SanchoPanza and Sasha came on and literally, no one clicked on it was him and I just thought it made it even better that I was seeing someone like that play in a unique place and i was one of the only people who realised it was him!

I don't get it...why did it bother you that people didn't recognise him in the DJ booth? Some of the best DJ's in the world are unrecognisable faces and some of the most recognisable are terrible (step up Mr Guetta). Knowing what DJ's look like is, in my eyes one of the least important parts of clubbing...as they say, its all about the music :)

Years ago I was at Notting Hill Carnival at SanchoPanza and Sasha came on and literally, no one clicked on it was him and I just thought it made it even better that I was seeing someone like that play in a unique place and i was one of the only people who realised it was him!

Havent you just answered your own question :confused: :lol: :?:

Back