Cliff jumping

V

vcrindc

Any beaches in Ibiza that you can jump off cliffs into the ocean?

Thanks,

okay nisho - see you on the rocks!! :p

Z_Ibizajumper.jpg

there is one place i have been cliff jumping at for about 10 years but virtually no-one knows about it....

If you go to Benirras beach on the north coast of the island , you'll see about a mile out from shore , a cylindrical rock which is about 20 metres high....

either swim out there if you're fit enough or hire a boat/canoe from the shore ....

when you get to the rock , you'll find a little alcove on the left hand side of the rock that the locals have attached a rope to so you can climb up the first bit... then you have climb up the rest of the way spiderman-stylee.

Theres a platform at about 10-15 metres up which is quite big ( 5mtres across). From here , you can dive off ....

http://totalgadget.members.winisp.net/dive/diving.wmv

be warned .... this is not for the faint hearted.....

if you're going to jump.... you will probably need some shoes on or it'll hurt...

If you're goin to dive .... be sure you can get it right ....

this ledge is about the same if not slightly higher than the highest olympic diving board....

i did some diving training in my teens ....

its safe underwater because the rock itself comes up from 40metres down to the surface in an almost perfect cylindrical shape so there are no nasty surprises underwater....

i've had many AWESOME days sat up there with friends,a picnic and lots of diving...

heres a couple of photos of the rock ... you can't miss it once you get to the beach itself...
1beachb.jpg

0tn_Benirras1.jpg

good luck and happy jumping/diving.....

g

How safe is it???..... I mean cliff jumping.

I never did it b4. I sure wanna try it this summer but I wonder if you need some kind of training b4 you actually start jumping or not ??

if you can dive and swim well and have the sense to check the depth of water before you jump , it should be safe for you.

you only have two things to worry about really ......

1. how for are you going to dive / jump ?
2. is the water deep enough so as not to hit the bottom or come too close to rocks?

Just use your common sense and don't go diving/jumping where you don't know all of the above ....

If you haven't dived off a diving board before or are going to jump off something thats more than 5 metres tall ..... get some diving training at your local pool.....It'll help you judge just how high 5 metres is , how fast you will hit the water and how far under water you will go when you dive/jump from certain heights...

Remember ..... olympic diving pools are 5 metres deep for a reason

g

MNS said:
How safe is it???..... I mean cliff jumping.

I never did it b4. I sure wanna try it this summer but I wonder if you need some kind of training b4 you actually start jumping or not ??

I'm gonna have to be a complete wet blanket on this one as over the summer i am a Beach lifeguard. Admittidly we dont have many cliffs to jump off down this end of the country but i worked over in Cornwall two seasons ago and saw some attrotious things.

I know cliff jumping is fun etc etc but the answer to "is it safe?" is a big fat NO. Even people who are brilliant divers there are no guarentees and I for one have been there to pick up the pieces when it goes wrong and it's not nice. We had one guy who we warned 3 times but he was convinced he knew exactly what he was doing and we winched him out an hour later and he was paralised from the neck down.

We also organise a Triathlon in aid of the Brain and spine foundation as my Uncle, who used to be a Marine, dived into shallow water on a drill and is now paralised. I just cant emphasise how awful the concequences are, even for the competent. I am a lifeguard, triathlete and have been open water swimming since i was 6 and i wouldnt go near this hazard.

I'm not saying dont do it, im just saying be aware just how dangerous it is really worth it? It wouldnt be the best outcome of your Ibiza holiday coming home in a wheelchair or not at all.

Sorry to be a complete killjoy guys just thought i'd give you a heads up on this one.

Funkyhousekitten: Did these peeps just hit the water at a funny angle or did they hit rocks underneath the water?

you can do a lot of damage if you hit the water wrong .....

without pactice ..... diving anything over 5 metres is dangerous

diving anyhing over 1 cm without knowing the depth is insane....

g

There's also a small cliff jumping spot at the "aguas blanca" playa (on the right when you are in front of the sea (in front of the chiringuito)....not very high but nice enough....
Another cliff jumping spot are based on the south west of ibiza but they are in secret place ;)

total_gadget said:
there is one place i have been cliff jumping at for about 10 years but virtually no-one knows about it....

If you go to Benirras beach on the north coast of the island , you'll see about a mile out from shore , a cylindrical rock which is about 20 metres high....

either swim out there if you're fit enough or hire a boat/canoe from the shore ....

when you get to the rock , you'll find a little alcove on the left hand side of the rock that the locals have attached a rope to so you can climb up the first bit... then you have climb up the rest of the way spiderman-stylee.

Theres a platform at about 10-15 metres up which is quite big ( 5mtres across). From here , you can dive off ....

be warned .... this is not for the faint hearted.....

if you're going to jump.... you will probably need some shoes on or it'll hurt...

If you're goin to dive .... be sure you can get it right ....

this ledge is about the same if not slightly higher than the highest olympic diving board....

i did some diving training in my teens ....

its safe underwater because the rock itself comes up from 40metres down to the surface in an almost perfect cylindrical shape so there are no nasty surprises underwater....

i've had many AWESOME days sat up there with friends,a picnic and lots of diving...

heres a couple of photos of the rock ... you can't miss it once you get to the beach itself...
1beachb.jpg

0tn_Benirras1.jpg

good luck and happy jumping/diving.....

g

That rocks a beast, roll on Aug 8)

Back