Chris Sutton retires from football

Jonny68

chris sutton retires from football

Paul Cuddihy
FORMER Celtic striker Chris Sutton has decided to retire from football due to an eye injury.

The 34-year-old had spent last season at Aston Villa where he had teamed up with former Hoops boss Martin O’Neill.

Sutton was one of O’Neill’s first signings for Celtic back in July 2000 when he joined from Chelsea and he made an immediate impact at the club, scoring one of the goals in Celtic’s 2-1 opening victory over Dundee Untied at Tannadice.

Henrik Larsson scored the other goal and the two players quickly formed an impressive partnership up front that brought the treble back to Celtic Park for the first time since 1969.

One of the most memorable games of that season was the 6-2 demolition of Rangers in August 2000 when Sutton scored Celtic’s first and last goals that afternoon.

Over the next few seasons, the big Englishman made a massive contribution to Celtic’s success, winning three SPL titles, two Scottish Cups and one League Cup, as well as playing a vital role in the 2002/03 run to the UEFA Cup final. He was also voted the SPFA’s Player of the Year in 2004.

It remained a mystery to Celtic supporters that he was never given the opportunity to add to the solitary England cap that he’d won prior to moving to Scotland.

He made a total of 199 appearances for the club, scoring 86 goals before leaving for Birmingham City in January 2006.

Everyone at Celtic would like to wish Chris and his family all the best for the future.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_050707140824.aspx

_38769865_suttonceleb300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Chris thanks for the memories,

especially the time when he accused Dunfermline of cheating and rolling over to let Rangers win the 2002 -2003 league title.

God how I laughed at that one

If anyone knew anything about cheating it was Chris Sutton

Yes indeed Chris thanks for the memories

One of my favourite chants over the years, came from some pals that were supporters of sworn enemy, The Scum. At The Scum vs, Whoever-It-Was-Sutton-Played-For, the chant went something like
(to the tune of La Triviata (sp?))

We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
We've got Sivinhio
You've got Chris Sutton.

Yes Chris thanks for the memories,

especially the time when he accused Dunfermline of cheating and rolling over to let Rangers win the 2002 -2003 league title.

God how I laughed at that one

If anyone knew anything about cheating it was Chris Sutton

Yes indeed Chris thanks for the memories

Jealousy is a desperate thing isn't it....:rolleyes:

now f**k off and stop spoiling my thread.

I remember when he 'retired' from international football...

Bit like Jade Goody opting out of mastermind.....:lol:

remember when he spat his dummy out cos he didn't wanna play england B and when he moaned his way through a disaster of a transfer at chelsea.

what a legend, thanks for the memories chris!:eek::lol:

Retiring ? I thought they were gonna do a swap deal with Barca for Henry. :eek:

P. S. - Remember what you said to be about being offensive Jonny, using naughty words. People in glass houses...

my favourite memory was when the bold Chris chucked it at Ibrox

heading to defeat, one petulant flick of the arm to handball it towards goal and it was second yellow and off

:lol:

Jealousy is a desperate thing isn't it....:rolleyes:

now f**k off and stop spoiling my thread.

Ha ha

You dont need any help in spoiling your threads judging by the sh*t jpegs you post on every one.

This is a site about Ibiza not some crap team that plays its football in the United Kingdom yet hates everything to do with the United Kingdom and is supported by people who are Scottish and think they are Irish or are Irish and dont know what they are.

Away and support your local team

I remember when he 'retired' from international football...

Upon Andy cole announcing his retirement from international football, the following day our entire Sussex Uni 4th XI side did exactly the same out of respect.

Ha ha

You dont need any help in spoiling your threads judging by the sh*t jpegs you post on every one.

This is a site about Ibiza not some crap team that plays its football in the United Kingdom yet hates everything to do with the United Kingdom and is supported by people who are Scottish and think they are Irish or are Irish and dont know what they are.

why don't you mind your fu**ing business then, ill say what i want,don't need spam merchants like you runing threads,the rest on here are jokers anyway, but the likes of you i wouldn't pi** on if you were on fire.

And for your information i do support my local team here in Dublin as well.

Now go away and die a slow death.

More offensive language ? This is disgraceful.

"moderators, moderators, please give this person an OFFICIAL WARNING"

You've just moved up the first place on my fight list and reached the status of... SEEK AND DESTROY.

tsk tsk. remember the rules everyone.

Behaviour towards other members. No Racism, Sexism or Agression is tolerated on this board.

Please treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. This is a forum where everyone can participate. Discussions can get quite lively, but don't be offended, they are only opinions.

Please be aware of sarcasm and the intimidating effect it can have on new members. New members should be welcome all the time and it can be very off-putting for a new member when he / she is scared about posting because they are afraid of receiving an agressive or sarcastic response

Ha ha

errrrr, not the clubbing chat forum, anything goes....doesnt it:eek:

Upon Andy cole announcing his retirement from international football, the following day our entire Sussex Uni 4th XI side did exactly the same out of respect.

My wifes cousin (does that make him my cousin?) does some work for Andy Cole as he still owns a property in Alderley Edge, and apparently he has this massive photograph on the wall in his hallway of Pele on his knees when he misses the open net in the 1970 World cup finals, the one where he mugs the keeper and then just strokes the ball wide? anyway at the bottom pele has written "you would have scored it andy.........Pele"

how cool is that???

why don't you mind your fu**ing business then, ill say what i want,don't need spam merchants like you runing threads,the rest on here are jokers anyway, but the likes of you i wouldn't pi** on if you were on fire.

And for your information i do support my local team here in Dublin as well.

Now go away and die a slow death.

ooopps ... the mask slips ..... :)

Back