chiliean miners!

Been busy as hell today but got a few spare minutes this afternoon and went straight to the live feed on msnbc.com. Tuned in just as they were pulling one guy out of the hole. After a quick check, he got to hug his designated greeter (I think a brother or maybe son), then a big hug from the Chilean president and the president of Bolivia who'd just shown up to check on his one compatriot. It was a beautiful moment. Got me all teary eyed.

If you've ever dealt with companies involved in mining (I have and still do) or been hundreds of meters deep down inside a mine (I've done that once too) then you know there's a massive amount of brainpower and engineering involved in the process. Different types of rock, different drilling methods, varying machinery, etc. It's no less complicated, and no less a marvel, than some of the technology I-Spy mentioned.

Plus there's everything JJ said above.

I think it's a great story for humanity. By far the best news story this year.
(only Sky could ruin it :lol:)

Just tuned in again and saw them pull out Omar Reygadas, dad of six, 14 grandkids, 3 great-grandkids. How can that not touch your heart?

Blah blah blah, new Liverpool manager from Chile.....blah blah blah....guaranteed plan to get out of a hole before Christmas.....blah blah blah...

Just before anyone else does it.

P.S. Paul Gascoigne has been spotted in the area with a fishing rod, bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale and some chicken....

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder that after the success of the rescue capsule it will become the Chilean equivelent of the London Eye......Where they decide to keep it so tourists can go down for a ride.

Just tuned in again and saw them pull out Omar Reygadas, dad of six, 14 grandkids, 3 great-grandkids. How can that not touch your heart?

The chap that had the daughter, not much older than mine, seeing theose two embrace, that was the one that got me, like a slug to the chest, I was bawling :oops::D

trappedminors.jpg

hahaha :lol:

The chap that had the daughter, not much older than mine, seeing theose two embrace, that was the one that got me, like a slug to the chest, I was bawling :oops::D

I'm normally a sucker for heart warming stories, and dont get me wrong this is one hell of a story. But I'm not really getting all the emotion of this, I've watched a bit on the news and its all very nice. But it aint making me sob :confused:

you're all suckers to the media agenda.

it's a quiet news week, so they have nothing else to talk about - when there's a lack of actual news in the world, journalists are briefed to find a human interest angle and so they all scurry off to wherever there is some kind of realtime (preferably weepy) drama. It's not news, it's just factual-tainment

If there was a MAJOR news story - I dunno, say the UK declaring war on Iceland, noel edmonds admitting he was a rapist, one of jordan's tits bursting on a plane, something like that, you can be sure nobody would even glance at this story in a tiny corner of page 17

the serious UK media are all kicking their feet and killing time at the moment - everyone's waiting for Osborne's spending review, which is going to be MASSIVE news...

I preferred it when the Chilean Miners were underground...I mean now they're just so "mainstream".

That little girl was so cute too, made me laugh when she was crying/screaming/making loads of noise!

what would they have done if one of the miners had been overweight and not fit in the cage thing? would they have left him down there?

what would they have done if one of the miners had been overweight and not fit in the cage thing? would they have left him down there?
They regulated their food intake so that they didn't fatten up.
I read they even reduced rations on the last few days, also in part so they wouldn't get nauseous on the way up.

Been busy as hell today but got a few spare minutes this afternoon and went straight to the live feed on msnbc.com. Tuned in just as they were pulling one guy out of the hole. After a quick check, he got to hug his designated greeter (I think a brother or maybe son), then a big hug from the Chilean president and the president of Bolivia who'd just shown up to check on his one compatriot. It was a beautiful moment. Got me all teary eyed.

If you've ever dealt with companies involved in mining (I have and still do) or been hundreds of meters deep down inside a mine (I've done that once too) then you know there's a massive amount of brainpower and engineering involved in the process. Different types of rock, different drilling methods, varying machinery, etc. It's no less complicated, and no less a marvel, than some of the technology I-Spy mentioned.

Plus there's everything JJ said above.

I think it's a great story for humanity. By far the best news story this year.
(only Sky could ruin it :lol:)

Yeah...but at the end of the day its a bit of rock and a big metal drill....How's that so different from me putting a shelf up in the living room with a Black and Decker...only bigger.

Now.....How the hell my Sat-Nav can tell me where I am and where I need to go.....

you're all suckers to the media agenda.
:lol:

I've been following this story since the beginning, so unless you're saying it's been a slow 69-day news cycle... :lol:

I'm not sure why I find this story so touching. But unless your heart is made of stone, it just is. The mental fortitude it must take to spend 69 days underground trapped in a room with 32 colleagues. A nation pulling together and pulling out all the stops to save this tiny fraction of its population.

Despite what I-Spy says, it's a horribly complicated engineering feat they accomplished here. And let's face it, there aren't that many positive human interest stories on this scale going on in the world.

If you prefer people dying in wars or natural disasters, or if your threshold for news involves thousands and not tens of people, then I guess it's no big deal.

I vividly remember the time 10 years ago when I and some other journalists rode an elevator for 10 minutes deep down into a mine shaft in the northeastern corner in Kazakhstan. It was a polymetal (copper/silver/gold) mine. Hot as hell down there and not for those with claustrophobia. Now I try to imagine spending 10 weeks down there... and that's scary as hell.

Back