Car Purchase - advise please.

i would imagine it's the same over there, but in the US (midwest specifically, where we have seasons), the best time to buy a convertible is fall/winter.

however, i have to put in my vote for a honda s2000! highly reliable, extremely fun to drive, cheap (relative to merc, bmw, porsche, etc), will keep ~50% after 5 years, fastest drop top at <6sec, ...the list is endless. :)

I've had my Honda S2000 just over a month now.

Frickin' amazing animal of a car!

Like driving a high powered motorbike with 4 wheels :eek:

A totally enjoyable and fun ride, despite spending most of my travelling time in gridlock :x

Do we think it's madness to buy a convertible this time of year? Want one for summer and won't change car again by then.

I bought a convertible last week. Admittedly went for a coupe cabriolet as I think soft-top roofs get dirty far too quickly and risk getting slashed when parked out on the street.

Wouldn't say it's a bad time to buy a ragtop at all...

But I wouldn't go near that Merc....

I have a Merc as a demo at the moment and was amazed at how cheap it feels inside...:( crappy plastics and trim that rattles - I've driven sturdier feeling Renaults!

May I suggest...

audi_a4_convertible_04_05_06.jpg

P.S. It also comes in 'Badass' trim:

Audi%201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't buy a car again. Lease is the way forward.

Two years then hand back, minimum deposit, road tax paid.

Just insure and go. Get bored after two years and change.

Colleague just got an Audi a4 cabriolet s-line. Very Nice as above.

Buckers, i once bought a soft top in december, exhilirating driving down the coast on one of those blue sky winter days. But i always wore a hat, both to keep my lugs warm and to stop people thinking i was a poser. :lol:

I like the new Merc C Class 220k Sport (Black- every time), I'm either getting that or an A6 variant when i hand my current back in January.

I wouldn't buy a car again. Lease is the way forward.

Two years then hand back, minimum deposit, road tax paid.

Just insure and go. Get bored after two years and change.

Colleague just got an Audi a4 cabriolet s-line. Very Nice as above.

Buckers, i once bought a soft top in december, exhilirating driving down the coast on one of those blue sky winter days. But i always wore a hat, both to keep my lugs warm and to stop people thinking i was a poser. :lol:

I like the new Merc C Class 220k Sport (Black- every time), I'm either getting that or an A6 variant when i hand my current back in January.

Who do you use Mark?

We use Fleetlease - and I cant say i am that impressed with them

http://www.lingscars.com/index.php?status=pcp

I use this mad Chinese woman called Ling.

Excellent service and i'm tried repeatedly to find cheaper and failed.

Great company, (Ling was on Dragon's Den before).

You pay 3 monthly rental upfront as a deposit then either 23 or 35 additional monthly payments for either a two or three years lease.

Highly reccommended!

I love the look of that site already. How long does it take for them to deliver?

Actually, I 'll read the sit Mark. Cheers mate.

Mark - is the VAT reclaimable if you do it as business hire. (Although, I'm on the flat rate VAT scheme at the mo anyway)

I think you can reclaim up to 50% of the VAT if you lease through the business.

I always lease on a personal basis, it keeps in cleaner and i know where i am tax wise. :lol:

The laws are changing now though - be careful!

I think (and it's worth checking) that unless the vehicle is a commercial vehicle, then it has to be assigned to a staff member, and therefore it is a company car with all the tax implications sitting with that individual.

A number of people have been caught out with Nissan Navarras, Mitsubishi L200's etc. as they are no longer classified as commercial.

Hence the price of these has fallen through the floor.....

The laws are changing now though - be careful!

I think (and it's worth checking) that unless the vehicle is a commercial vehicle, then it has to be assigned to a staff member, and therefore it is a company car with all the tax implications sitting with that individual.

A number of people have been caught out with Nissan Navarras, Mitsubishi L200's etc. as they are no longer classified as commercial.

Hence the price of these has fallen through the floor.....

Which is exactly why I always get a personal lease, taxed at source on PAYE, then i know where i am.

That is one of the most bizarre site I've ever seen. Fair play to her though.

this site is so crazy - i love it !

Road Test:
"I road test car! I drive faster than Stig.
I take it in town, on open road. Drives nice.
Room for wok in boot..."

"...
It's fun to compare new car cost to lung cancer!
Compare cost of my Audi Q7 to the cost of 20 "Kennedys"...

Do you pay attention? I
t's damn cheap to rent my Audi Q7!

Surprised that my Audi Q7 costs the same as buying just 71 cigarettes a day?
Note: a) Smoking 71 fags bad; b) Car good.
..."

http://www.lingscars.com/car_detail.php?make_model=431&id=1507&status=1

this site is so crazy - i love it !

Road Test:
"I road test car! I drive faster than Stig.
I take it in town, on open road. Drives nice.
Room for wok in boot..."

"...
It's fun to compare new car cost to lung cancer!
Compare cost of my Audi Q7 to the cost of 20 "Kennedys"...

Do you pay attention? I
t's damn cheap to rent my Audi Q7!

Surprised that my Audi Q7 costs the same as buying just 71 cigarettes a day?
Note: a) Smoking 71 fags bad; b) Car good.
..."

http://www.lingscars.com/car_detail.php?make_model=431&id=1507&status=1

Excellent!

I now have more ways to justify my car :lol:

That said, I got the model up from that one (the S-Line) with unlimited mileage, for about the same amount as her 20k miles per year quote on the SE spec.

And that was from a main Audi dealer.....

Nice site, shame about the price!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back