Buddhism...

Johnny Vodka

Has anyone here ever taken an interest in it? If so, what did you think? A mate recommended it to me after he was recommended it by a counsellor and much of what he tells me about it seems to make sense. I'll never be able to believe in a God and I don't like loads of hard rules, but (for various reasons) definitely feel like I could do with some guidance and philosophy for a calmer life. Anyway, first book bought. :lol:

I've studied it - did an eight week course in mindfulness = very cool. 8)

Buddhist practice is ace but I've no plans to join a religious cult any time soon.

Of all the organised religions, it's definitely the closest to what I would consider to be truth.

The only problem I have with it (which doesn't relate to Buddhism per se but more the people that practice it) is that there's rarely a place for controlled anger.

Quietening the mind is a really useful tool but so is expressing your rage.

It's not really punk enough for me but definitely don't hold back in exploring it for yourself. 8)

Buddhism to me has a lot of good principles. The calming of the mind is good for me, it keep rash actions to a minimum. That being said I studied it but do not practice it. Like Rob said sometimes you need to give someone a slap or say fcuk off to make your day better.

sometimes you need to give someone a slap or say fcuk off to make your day better.

:lol:

That makes me sound really dysfunctional.

To clarify: new age philosophies and buddhist practices can focus on 'being nice'...which is great because it's good to be considerate and understand your place in the world.

But if underneath all that, you're twisted up with rage from a nasty tube journey, an abusive partner or in extreme circumstances - a history of abuse...then sometimes this just needs expressing in order to get to the calm place on the other side.

If I'm engaged in any kind of group practice, I like to be around people that are being 'real' all the time. There's nowt better than being in a circle/workshop type situ and someone being brutally honest. It's hilarious as well as humbling. :lol:

Without this, anyone walking a spiritual path will become yawnsome and lose their sense of humour.

:lol:

That makes me sound really dysfunctional.

To clarify: new age philosophies and buddhist practices can focus on 'being nice'...which is great because it's good to be considerate and understand your place in the world.

But if underneath all that, you're twisted up with rage from a nasty tube journey, an abusive partner or in extreme circumstances - a history of abuse...then sometimes this just needs expressing in order to get to the calm place on the other side.

If I'm engaged in any kind of group practice, I like to be around people that are being 'real' all the time. There's nowt better than being in a circle/workshop type situ and someone being brutally honest. It's hilarious as well as humbling. :lol:

Without this, anyone walking a spiritual path will become yawnsome and lose their sense of humour.

I was being a bit tongue and cheek, but leap from no anger to enlightenment was a jump too far for me. I can smile at idiots, but a$$holes and stupid people now that is another story. I did take away being nice to people because it is the right thing to do and I enjoy it even if I do not get a thank you.

But if underneath all that, you're twisted up with rage from a nasty tube journey, an abusive partner or in extreme circumstances - a history of abuse...then sometimes this just needs expressing in order to get to the calm place on the other side..

But if you had used Buddhist mantra you would have controlled the anger no matter what the circumstances. I love pissing off Buddhists......they can never get angry with you and always have to forgive. I was in sales once, and nicked a 20k sale from a Buddhist, he wasnt happy but he could do nothing about it. Another guy would have decked me!

Im more of a Non Duality man myself.

But if you had used Buddhist mantra you would have controlled the anger no matter what the circumstances. I love pissing off Buddhists......they can never get angry with you and always have to forgive. I was in sales once, and nicked a 20k sale from a Buddhist, he wasnt happy but he could do nothing about it. Another guy would have decked me!

Im more of a Non Duality man myself.

That is mean but true:oops::lol:, I would fail at being a Buddhist because I would give slaps out.

Some good comments above. I've studied Buddhism; Done a couple of courses and read loads about it. I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist, but I try to live by Buddhist principles.

Here's my thoughts:

1. It's probably been the most beneficial things I ever learned in terms of improving my quality of life.

2. It can be quite complex, but at the same time, incredibly simple: Be nice to people, live in the moment (not the past or future), meditate regularly...

3. Some of the traditions have some fairly wacky beliefs, however, I think these are more to do with local cultures rather than Buddhist philosophies.

4. The best way to learn about it is to be tought... reading is good, but it can be bewildering. If you do read, I recommend picking up one of the little books that has simple, single quotes per page. Read one per day and try to practise it / understand it.

5. It's a journey, not a destination.. you are striving to understand and improve. You will never 'get there' but it's good ifyou 'get closer'.

6. And finally a question that inspired me to learn more: How is it that so many people around the world who are Buddhist seem so happy with generally little material wealth, and many materially rich people seem so unhappy / angry / agressive etc. And all from a 2500 year old philosophy? There must be something of value to learn...

I'm not religious at all so no!! No interest whatsoever!

It seems like being a Buddhist is much more "trendy" in the West! I often hear about people becoming Buddhists (in the West) and treating it like it's oh-so-cool to be a Buddhist, but then they slam other religions.

Of course not all, but I've seen several people do this...

It seems like being a Buddhist is much more "trendy" in the West! I often hear about people becoming Buddhists (in the West) and treating it like it's oh-so-cool to be a Buddhist, but then they slam other religions.

Yes, its like Scientology for the working man

Yup: humans have an inherent need for rescuing so any chance of a doctrine to give up responsibility and we're all over it. :lol:

That's not to say books don't have their uses but the key is to find your own definition of a workable anarchy.

We're all brainwashed - the way we live might be 'normal' but we're all domesticated animals controlled by governments. The disregard we have for the planet (especially animals) and the importance we place of status is clearly bonkers. It's little wonder we all walk the fine line of trying to convince the world we're not insane (most of us are).

£££ = God. That ain't freedom, it's just another bible.

I would imagine someone who claims to be Buddhist for the sake of fashion or appearance has probably not understood some of the basic principles. In fact, I would say someone who publicly announces being a Buddhist has probably missed the point. In Buddhist philosophy, your ego is your enemy... :)

EDIT: Also someone who understands Buddhism would never slam other faiths. It is a cornerstone of Buddhism to embrace other faiths & beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine someone who claims to be Buddhist for the sake of fashion or appearance has probably not understood some of the basic principles. In fact, I would say someone who publicly announces being a Buddhist has probably missed the point. In Buddhist philosophy, your ego is your enemy... :)

EDIT: Also someone who understands Buddhism would never slam other faiths. It is a cornerstone of Buddhism to embrace other faiths & beliefs.

I agree! This is probably why I have a jaded view of it in the West. I have seen a number of people turn to Buddhism for a short time (usually in their twenties)

But I know people who are Christian who say that they are the only religion which truly loves. I know people who are of other religions who say they are the only religion which really cares or really knows the truth.

Yup: humans have an inherent need for rescuing so any chance of a doctrine to give up responsibility and we're all over it. :lol:

Completely agree!

In regards to the rescuing, I find it sad when I hear of people who were going through a tough time in their life and they were "rescued" by religion. Some religious groups tend to prey on people like that and I think it's just plain wrong!

It may give them comfort or community, so I guess if that makes them feel better then sure, go for it!

I just went off on a tangent about how many religious groups like to take advantage of people by disguising themselves as "rescuing" them but then I realised that I've gone off the Buddhist topic and I have to go to work! :x

I'm not a fan of religion in general. It mostly just seems to cause problems and I can't believe in a God. Buddhism doesn't appear to require a belief in supernatural beings, more a philosophy perhaps than a religion, so I'm happy to give it a chance or at least do some reading and see if it can improve my life any.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to the rescuing, I find it sad when I hear of people who were going through a tough time in their life and they were "rescued" by religion. Some religious groups tend to prey on people like that and I think it's just plain wrong!

The same goes for our health service. We'd rather shut down feelings with tranquilizers than look at what's really going on.

I'm not a fan of religion in general. It mostly just seems to cause problems and I can't believe in a God. Buddhism doesn't appear to require a belief in supernatural beings, more a philosophy perhaps than a religion, so I'm happy to give it a chance or at least do some reading and see if it can improve my life any.

One of the great things about Buddhism is the complete lack of 'rules', you take from it what works for you. But constantly aim for self improvement...

Example 1: Buddhism suggests drinking is harmful, but you like drinking (based on your username!!). Answer: The middle way.. drink less and try to avoid harming yourself with alcohol.

Example 2: The Dalai lama eats meat for health reasons, even though Buddhism suggests a vegetarian lifestyle is best. He has chosen the middle way.

The only people that are required to follow rules are monks (and even then there can be exceptions). Buddhism suggests that early on in your journey you decide if you should become a monk or a 'householder' (ie, a regular Joe).

No one is required to believe anything, but Buddhist teachings suggest 'faith' in certain 'supernatural' things are beneficial. Reincarnation being the most obvious.

Here's an example of where using 'the middle way' philosophy can be beneficial, even if you don't actually have 'faith':

Imagine that all living beings were your mother in a previous life. The spider you are about to tread on, or the van driver you were about to flick the bird to. If you 'pretend' they were your mother in a previous life, it might help you to be less harmful to them (and consequently yourself), even if you don't actually believe they were your mum.

To me (and this is just my personal take on things), that pretend faith has been of benefit to you and others.. even if you don't have faith in the supernatural, you have cultivated a positive state of mind through leaning towards it.

You are your own judge of what is right and wrong, and you do what is right for you. There is no 'judgement day', but Buddhist teachings say if you come across this philosophy, you have a duty to yourself to try to improve your karma. You don't have to, but you will benefit if you do (both practically, and Buddhists believe 'supernaturally').

HTH Johnny Vodka. If nothing else, I thing you will find Buddhism a fascinating area of study. And again, one of the things I find most amazing is that this subtle form of self development which seems to fit with a lot of current thinking existed 2500 years ago, when most people when were still very primitive (you could argue they still are :)).

Great thread.

I have been on the email list for Ratnasambh​ava Kadampa Buddhist Centre in Leeds for a couple of years with the intention of going to a series of workshops. That intention remains an intention, no time blah blah bs blah :( I am going to ensure this thread kicks me into action over the coming weeks!!

Back