book club

agentundercover

I've been searching to try and find the original spotlight book club thread to no avail.

I finally read Shantram on holiday,

images

What a great book. Everyone who has read it will know when I nearly shed a tear :(.

highly recommended.

I read it over Christmas too. I proper blubbed. :oops::lol: Really really loved the bits in Mumbai, but I kind of lost the will to live in the Afghanistan section...

I finally read Shantram on holiday,

images

ohhh such a awesome, awesome book....
one of my favs!!

just finished 'eat, love pray' by elizabeth gilbert....
its a non-fiction tale of life, love, travel, food and spirituality.....
it was a really great read (if you're into that stuff) ;)

Apparently Johnny Depp is making it into a film and starring in it. I love him, but I don't see him in the part. I was thinking Daniel Craig when I was reading it.

Just finished the Michael J Fox autobiography

Well, I say finished..... the handwriting in the last few chapters was unreadable.

Apparently Johnny Depp is making it into a film and starring in it. I love him, but I don't see him in the part. I was thinking Daniel Craig when I was reading it.

He has bought the rights to the book but I would prefer him to Daniel Craig that's for sure!!

Amazing book though.

Yep, i'd agree with that!

Interesting I read about the book on the author's site and he revealed who was real and what he made up etc! Wish I hadn't!! To say I was bit disapointed was an undiestatement!

I did exactly the same!! i stopped reading as i didn't want it spoilt!!

But i noticed that the bar they all meet up in "Leopold's" is a real place and was mentioned in news reports following the Mumbai terrorist attacks, it was actually targeted.

But i noticed that the bar they all meet up in "Leopold's" is a real place and was mentioned in news reports following the Mumbai terrorist attacks, it was actually targeted.

Yeah noticed that and I thought that place was made up for the book!

Always the last to know!

Oh and very wise move not reading it, you will see the whole book in a different light if you do! Like finding out Star Wars wasn't true!

Oh and very wise move not reading it, you will see the whole book in a different light if you do! Like finding out Star Wars wasn't true!

haha, i thought the book was a true story until someone on here pointed out that it was "based on" his experiences. But i reckon he had to say some of it wasn't true because of the things he got up to...:lol:

haha, i thought the book was a true story until someone on here pointed out that it was "based on" his experiences. But i reckon he had to say some of it wasn't true because of the things he got up to...:lol:

He was beginning to sound like the berk in my local who used to be in 'Nam (think he meant Dagenham), driver for the Krays, ex-wrestler, done 20 years armed robbery and bodyguard to the stars. Apparently one of them was Keith Harris that's when I knew he was talking a load of Morris! Since when has Keith Harris needed a minder but then if you was going to lie you would use a better celebrity than Keith Harris I suppose ! Unless, he got him confused with Keith Richards!! You see what i'm having to deal with!!! He has me confused too!

He was beginning to sound like the berk in my local who used to be in 'Nam (think he meant Dagenham), driver for the Krays, ex-wrestler, done 20 years armed robbery and bodyguard to the stars. Apparently one of them was Keith Harris that's when I knew he was talking a load of Morris! Since when has Keith Harris needed a minder but then if you was going to lie you would use a better celebrity than Keith Harris I suppose ! Unless, he got him confused with Keith Richards!! You see what i'm having to deal with!!! He has me confused too!

LMFAO at your random rant!!!

:lol::lol:

there is a theory that he shat himself somewhat upon it becoming massive & that some of them Prabaker for starters, are based upon real people.

Just finished Shantaram and was distinctly un-amazed by it. It's ok, some parts are interesting and a good read. But like someone else on here said earlier, the bulk of the book was a slap-on-the-back-look-at-everything-i've-done load of waffle!

And pur-lease.... anyone who falls for that self indulgent rubbish writing style needs to get some literary lessons;

"Her eyes, green like waterlillies after the rain, her long hair, black as forest stones, like holding the night itself in the wrap of my fingers, her lips; starred with incandescent light, lips of camellia-petal softness warmed with secret whispers.."

etc
etc
etc

Get on with it! What are you trying to tell us? She's pretty?!

What a load of waffle! I actually had to skim read some pages because they were filled with Gregory David Roberts trying to squeeze in as many metaphors and analogies as possible to try and impress the reader. Sorry but whilst they were very nice to read for the first time, a whole book of them is bl00dy annoying :rolleyes:

In my opinion he went to India and basically got mugged off. It would be great if all Indians had hard exteriors but "kind, warm, soft hearts" as he likes to babble on.... but the harsh truth is the majority of the locals are trying to pull a fast one on the tourists! Even his one father figure "Khaderbai" who he "learns to love as a father himself" :rolleyes: has basically being using him! D'oh! Not everyone's all sweetness and light ya know! Now do one you hippy! :lol:

Sorry for the rant but I've just googled Gregory David Roberts and his stupid face in his photo has annoyed me :spank: :lol:

Back