book club

And for the people who cried! Mother of God! It was soooo predictable, I could have written this myself.

Rach - I'll let you off coz you're a girl ;)

I am reading a FAB book at the moment Good New, Bad News - fiction thriller about Spies - I am totally knackered the last 2 days as I am going to bed reading and not putting the book down til daft o'clock and totally knackered in the mornings.....

.... I'll be glad when I finish it to be honest :lol::lol::lol:

Just finished Shantaram and was distinctly un-amazed by it. It's ok, some parts are interesting and a good read. But like someone else on here said earlier, the bulk of the book was a slap-on-the-back-look-at-everything-i've-done load of waffle!

And pur-lease.... anyone who falls for that self indulgent rubbish writing style needs to get some literary lessons;

"Her eyes, green like waterlillies after the rain, her long hair, black as forest stones, like holding the night itself in the wrap of my fingers, her lips; starred with incandescent light, lips of camellia-petal softness warmed with secret whispers.."

etc
etc
etc

Get on with it! What are you trying to tell us? She's pretty?!

What a load of waffle! I actually had to skim read some pages because they were filled with Gregory David Roberts trying to squeeze in as many metaphors and analogies as possible to try and impress the reader. Sorry but whilst they were very nice to read for the first time, a whole book of them is bl00dy annoying :rolleyes:

In my opinion he went to India and basically got mugged off. It would be great if all Indians had hard exteriors but "kind, warm, soft hearts" as he likes to babble on.... but the harsh truth is the majority of the locals are trying to pull a fast one on the tourists! Even his one father figure "Khaderbai" who he "learns to love as a father himself" :rolleyes: has basically being using him! D'oh! Not everyone's all sweetness and light ya know! Now do one you hippy! :lol:

Sorry for the rant but I've just googled Gregory David Roberts and his stupid face in his photo has annoyed me :spank: :lol:

haha.. I was going to read this but after googling his photo, i'm not sure i want to either!!

Agentundercover - put your tissues away you big girls blouse! :lol:

Utaguara - I know! How annoying is his face. I just cant imagine him being this knife wielding mujhadeen fighter :eek: :lol:

Agentundercover - put your tissues away you big girls blouse! :lol:

Utaguara - I know! How annoying is his face. I just cant imagine him being this knife wielding mujhadeen fighter :eek: :lol:

Like myself and madwhitegiant said earlier in this post, looking at the authors website is not advised. I think Shantaram is best looked at in isolation to, and ignorance of the author's ponytail. (when i initially started reading I was of the understanding that the book was non-fiction)

Beckiboo, to be fair, I agree that there was some over flowery language at times. But the plots and sub plots and characters and the descriptions of them were fantastic to me. I was able to forgive the odd bit of "overfloralisation" (a key literary term).

I stand by Shantaram as a brilliant piece of story telling. And that every bloke wants a wingman like Prabaker.:lol:

ladybirdbook004.jpg

Just started Jeff Stelling's book - Jellyman's thrown a wobbly.

Hilarious. Anyone who has spent the last ten years watching Soccer Saturday will enjoy this.

Back